Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail boom don't hold in place

Is it normal that the whole tail boom can turn about 2-3 degree from side to side? I tried to tighten the screw but I still can turn it by hand with not much force. Can I fix this probelm or it's no big deal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	450senewv2_s_9.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	63893  
armote is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Best you fix it, if it can rotate within the mount then it's a given that it can also move along the mount!

Yup try tightening the bolts however you probably need to fix the boom mount so that the boom is not able to move one teenie weenie bit at all

Let us know if you need to know how to fix the boom block? I say that just cus I don't wanna type a bunch of bla if I don't need to

EDIT: damn I see you've already tried the bolts.. meh be back soon I gotta go find a link
pwoodyp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Please let me know how to fix this problem. I have already tighten the screw all the way in but still......Not tight enough.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Redundant post, mods please delete if needed, thanks
Old 09-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Try this, let us know if you need more detail or ...
... wait for Gary JP4 he's good at writing all detail stuff {that was a hint Gary).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoodyp View Post
Stop the boom from moving! Tape on the end of the boom to shim up the boom within the boom block. Another and equally effective mod is "lap" the two boom block half's. Sand a little of each one of the inner sides so the block can clamp down a little better. Last but the least effective and should only be done in concert with any one of the previously mentioned mods is make sure the boom brace clamps the boom good. Check to see if it is holding as it helps to keep the boom from moving however that alone shouldn't be relied upon
Old 09-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

That's funny Wood.

Let me find the link to the last time I wrote that.
Gary JP4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary JP4 View Post
That's funny Wood.

Let me find the link to the last time I wrote that.
LMAO yeah I'm in a lazy mood today and dun't feel like typing allot keep up the good work my friend.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you very much
Old 09-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Basically, I like to lap the mating surfaces of the boom block. If the block fits tight it only takes very light torque on the screws to hold well and you wont be stripping insert threads and screw head either. The problem is the hole in the block is too big to tighten down on the boom. I also like to glue the threaded inserts into the block on one side so they don't turn.

Here are some links covering this, giving directions, and more and you can see why Pwoodyp made that comment and why I don't want to type it all again either. You will also see that some other methods work like wrapping a piece of clear plastic tape around the boom where it goes into the block. I like to lap it and fix it permanently and not mess with it again.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...ing+boom+block

Here is an excerpt from one of those threads to give you an idea. There is a lot more in the links.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary JP4 View Post
Just wrap about 1 revolution of clear plastic tape around the boom before you insert into the boom block.

For a more permanent fix lap one of the mating surfaces of the boom block and take off just a little material. Use a sheet of 220 to 400 grit sand paper taped to a piece of glass or flat metal plate or apply lapping compound directly on the glass and work the mating surfaces of one or both sides or the block while flat on the surface. Then you won't have to add any weight with some kind of a clamp on the boom or mess with reapplying tape and having it peel up when you slide the boom in next time, or have to peel the tape back off.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you sure the boom is moving or is it the tail case rotating slightly?
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008, 12:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you very much Gary and I apologize for having you guys repeat the same answers over and over again.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

No problem. I hope that helps. My boom never slips and I don't have to tighten the screws very tight at all. The boom does still get bent, dented, and twisted though.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:52 AM   #13 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by armote View Post
Thank you very much Gary and I apologize for having you guys repeat the same answers over and over again.
Naw wasn't really the extra typing, more like there was no need to re-type as it was well covered already as you have seen. What I wrote or the way I wrote was lure that out. LOL to get Gary to post it in a word... all good no problem

Last edited by pwoodyp; 09-26-2008 at 12:03 PM..
Old 09-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I removed 3 of the threaded inserts and replaced with nuts/bolts that go all the way through the block/frame.

JaggedEdge is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008, 11:59 AM   #15 (permalink)

If the boom block is re-sized by lapping and you aren't a neanderthal with the bit driver you will never have problems stripping inserts. If you do you are just tightening way more then necessary. With the hole in the block a little smaller by a few more thousands of an inch, it doesn't take much pressure for 4 screws to lock the boom so tight it wont move even in a tail in crash. Of course it will turn into a pretzel. My screws are loose enough that stripping the inserts would never even cross my mind.

On the other hand if the hole in the boom is not small enough no mater how tight you make the screws, or even if you run screws all the way through without inserts, it still wont hold the boom tight. The exception might be the SA with the plastic block as you might be able to squeeze it some. Still having the hold the correct size would be better.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

It is hard to get the tail case to be tight enough so it wont slip. Don't worry about it. Move it all the way forward until the boom bottoms out in it, clock it correctly and tighten the front clamp screw.

When the one front clamp screw is tight you should still be able to turn the case with mild finger pressure but it wont get loose because it has no where to go and it will be tight enough so it wont turn in flight. It will turn in a crash and that is good.

So once again, leave the tail case all the way forward on the boom. Do all your belt adjustments with the boom into the boom block.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in