Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Nitro Helicopters

700 Class Nitro Helicopters 700 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2008, 02:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default T-rex 700 Bad Vibrations

Guys,

I've got really bad vibrations in my T-rex 700 and need some help. It's driving me freakin' nuts.

The symptoms are:
Foaming in the tank, Tail Slider moving in idle on the ground, tail swinging in hover and forward flight, canopy now cracked around front mounting posts and you can really feel the vibrations when trying to adjust the High and mid needles. It’s like a freakin' vibrator.

I've ripped the motor out again and measured the runout and added the measurements to the attached picture. All measurements are in mm, the arrows pointing down are measurements take at 90 degrees to the flat. Are these acceptable for each component?

I think the clutch is out of balance and not running true, is this a common problem?
On a highpoint balancer attached to fan hub you can see it wobble and it has a heavy spot.

Can I modify this without compromising the integrity of the clutch or do I need to replace it?

Cheers,

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Runnout.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	67383  
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2008, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This looks like way too much to me. Is there some way you can adjust this?
Old 10-31-2008, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nothing looks too out of wack except the one way bearing inside the clutch but I wouldnt trust that measurement as its nearly impossible to find a good surface to indicate on in there with the needle bearings. I had a similar issue on my 600, searched high and low, checked balance on the fan, fan mount, clutch etc. All were good.

Nearly at the end of my rope I bought a blade balancer, yep, one blade out of balance. When I realized what was causing it I nearly threw myself down the stairs... Some blades come with little holographic stickers (for orientation and tracking I assumed, it was my first heli) Well the set only came with one sticker (Again the assumption about tracking was going through my head) so I put one sticker near the tip of one blade. When I saw which was the heavy blade and pulled the sticker off... yep, blades blanced. Next flight, vibration is gone. Live and learn I guess.

By the way, even my 600 vibrates a lot when idling but once spooled up its smooth as can be.

Chris.
c_forthofer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i had some of the same problems. first fix corrected about 50% of the problem i had the torque tube shaft in too tight causing the shaft to cavitate. blade balance had to bee spot on perfect. fixed another 20%. dissassembled entire drive train balanced fan alittle and made sure clutch assembly was perfectly aligned.
now only alittle foaming i think the fan/motor collet is either out of round or just off some how but can't seem to get those at my lhs yet. after all this the heli flys great and with a fuel magnet the foaming is down to where it doesn't affect motor tuning, before it was soo bad i couldn't tell how much fuel wasin my tank midflight. but i also got one of the first production run kits in the country so perhaps some new heli inconsistancys to consider. i still love this heli alot it flys like its on rails.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hey Scooby,

Mine is also one of the first run production kits as well.

I believe my issue is coming from the motor/fan/clutch assembly as I can see the tial slider slowly moving while it's sitting on the ground. I can here the tail push rod vibrating in the guides.
My issue is there at idle and worse at idle up.

If I take the canopy off when the motor is running and put my finger on the gyro sensor it feels like a set of electric clippers running............that can't be good.

I checked the balance of the fan, I've checked the run out, added another piece of foam under the gyro sensor and it's still kicking the tail and drifting counterclockwise.
I've already moved the tail boom out a few mm to make sure the shaft is not adding to the issue when in idle up.

I’ve ordered some Zeal tape but that’s only going to mask the real issue even if it does fix the tail drift.

Anyone got any good tips for isolating this issue?
Old 11-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I bet you're running the OS SZH, that one has a lot of vibrations.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i'm running the ys91sr so its not just an os issue
Old 07-10-2009, 09:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

3Dhelidude - Did you solve the problem? I'm having the exact same issues with the same combo.
t-rex pedro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2009, 04:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hey T-rex Pedro,

I got it sorted.................I bought an N9

The T-rex 700 is just sitting in the garage gathering dust, I couldn't for the life of me get it running anywhere near as good as the N9 runs .

Cheers,

Matt
Old 07-11-2009, 11:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The engine crankshaft looks good. Take the fan mount and fan and balance of hi point balancer without clutch attached. You can rotate fan to 4 different positions to get best balance. Try rotating clutch 180 degrees from current position and check balance, mark hub and clutch before removing. I'd double check dampers in head and check blade balance.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't had that bad vibrations but I have the same engine YS91SR and it does vibrate more it the engine needle settings are off. Maybe try to play some more with the needles...?
Old 07-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

i had a really bad vibe in mine and what felt like a rough or high spot on my main gear. turned out to be a bad clutcvh. put in a quick uk and prob is all gone. good luck.
jondabear is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in