Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Align 2-in-1: what's normal?

Hey everyone, and yes I've already searched all over the place!

Just wondering what is "normal" for a 2-in-1?

I wiggle the switch on my 2-in-1 as part of my pre-flight check. Occasionally I'll see one of the green LED's (the ones indicating voltage) go out or come back on. This is always after a flight or two (or few), and never on a full battery.

I never see the orange or red LED's flicker or go out, and the heli never loses power.

What does your 2-in-1 do? What is normal?

Thanks
rebeltrousers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

This most likely means that the voltage level is between the two steps, eventually the top green will extinguish completely. Providing I understood correctly what you are writing.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you mean one light go's out if you wiggle the switch,then it's going bad ..Do the mod talked about in this thread https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...light=2in1+fix .You won't have any issue's after doing the switch mod.Even if the switch is OK,I would do the mod anyway's just to be on the safe side..
Old 04-22-2011, 05:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pril250 View Post
This most likely means that the voltage level is between the two steps, eventually the top green will extinguish completely. Providing I understood correctly what you are writing.
Yeah that's what's happening because it's always on a used battery and the heli never loses power!
Thanks
Old 04-22-2011, 05:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheDeck View Post
If you mean one light go's out if you wiggle the switch,then it's going bad ..Do the mod talked about in this thread https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...light=2in1+fix .You won't have any issue's after doing the switch mod.Even if the switch is OK,I would do the mod anyway's just to be on the safe side..
Hi, I've come across your findings a few times (not only on this site too)
So if I'm worried I should just solder to join where the switch is?
You also recommend a certain type of grease. Is the grease a conductor or insulator?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2011, 06:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

dielectric grease is a silicone grease, safe for plastic, commonly used as an anti-corrosive barrier for electrical connections. It is non condunctive and available at any auto parts store. It is also, but I'm not 100% sure, the same thing as Align one way bearing grease.

The 2 in 1 is notorious for going out and this switch is the culprit 90% of the time. Other factors are the electrical connection between the remote and main unit and just plain going bad.

The factors that affect the switch are---
-its location (where it can get fuel in it),
-its location and mounting (mounted to the side of the frame by the motor is convenient, but you've got a mechanical micro switch mounted to a high frequency vibrator)
-the fact that its a micro switch.

Do the mod, get a better switch or live with the inconvenience of plug and unplug, or find another power solution.

I'm gonna get a life pack, a micro regulator for the tail, and a pushglo, and then I'm gonna ditch the 2 in 1.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mine started doing this a couple of months ago, I did the switch mode (Took out the old switch and added a new external switch.) It's working great now.

Don't fly it like it is, do the mode or replace the 2 in 1 with something different.

Craig

T-Rex 600N | T-Rex 500 ESP | T-Rex 500 GF | T-Rex 250 (Love this little bird) | 22 year old Shuttle ZXX
Ozz58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I did the mod that everyone seems to be talking about back when I had my 2in1.

http://www.ronlund.com/rcheli/ARCHIVE_2_IN_ONE.html

Mine eventually developed a rattle though. I took it apart and all three resistors attached to the main board of the regulator had fallen off. I had had enough of nursing such an important component, so I ditched it. Now I have a Fromeco Arizona, Remote glow, and this wonderful little device.

http://www.western-robotics.com/sentinel_lipo_hp.html

I have this mounted right above my fuel tank, and it works every bit as well at the 2in1's LED's in my opinion.
lolramen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Definitely do the mod. I am on my second regulator, as the wires frayed on my first shorting on the cf frame. The first did the flicker, as did the second. It is a very good regulator, but the switch suck$ A$$. If you take care of the switch, it should be good as gold.
Futaba 8FG - Bls251 - 8900G
UfcGuy39 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Angry

Well this morning I went for a fly. Full battery as usual.
On pre-flight switch wiggle all lights stayed solid.

Halfway through the flight I brought the heli in to check the engine temperature. Just before it landed there was only 1 green LED showing and after the blades had stopped there was only the orange and red LED's still showing.

I powered the heli off and then turned it back on again and all LED's were on indicating a full charge. When I wiggled the switch two of the green LED's flickered.

Should I:
A) buy another 2-in-1
B) fix it by removing the switch, soldering the connection to "always on" and just use the battery to turn it on/off
C) Remove the switch and wire another one in somewhere else
Old 04-24-2011, 12:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Put another switch on it ..
Old 04-24-2011, 05:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

To fix the problem, switch is just for convenience right?
Old 04-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Do the switch mod, or buy a different regulator.. I got rid of mine and put in an Foremco Arizona.. It's been bulletproof and the switch has fail safe on..

I wouldn't buy another one and expect a different end result though..
Geardaddy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

B, and maybe add a super rocker, or the equivilent in between the 2 in 1 and the battery.

Or, you can use the solution I mentioned earlier. Life batteryies charge quicker than most RX lipos, and you don't have to worry about leaving the pack fully charged or a regulator failure. If you want the onboard glow, there are other solutions

Do not fly this again without doing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geardaddy View Post
I wouldn't buy another one and expect a different end result though..
Ditto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in