Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Genius CP

Genius CP Walkera Genius CP Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default DEVO 8 USB problem?

Hi Guys,

Hopefully I'm OK posting this question here, as this seems to be the place for the Walkera guys. I recently got a Devo 8 that I added the telemetry module to (Does that make it a Devo 8S?). I hadn't tried updating it till tonight, and I'm running into an issue. I've got the software downloaded onto my pc (actually my Mac running Bootcamp) and running, but when I put the tx into DFU mode and plug it into the USB port, nothing happens. When I say 'nothing', I'm used Windows sounding those two tones whenever something USB is connected, and I'm not getting those tones. I don't see it appear in the device manager. Hence, I can't ever get to the point of installing drivers. The screen of the tx looks like it's in the DFU mode, it says something about programming update, but nothing happens when connecting it to the computer. I'm pretty sure my USB cable is good, as I've used it with other things recently.

At first I thought maybe it was a Mac/Windows mix up, so I drove to work and picked up my work pc. Unfortunately, it does the same thing with it. Has anyone been down this road before? There was a guy asking the same thing on the Walkera forum last week, but he didn't get any worthwhile responses. Thanks,

Rafa
Rafa's helis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the UB-002 cable only required for the Devo 7 for software upgrades or is it also required for the 8 & 6? That could be your problem.
PaulsBA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's helis View Post
Hi Guys,

Hopefully I'm OK posting this question here, as this seems to be the place for the Walkera guys. I recently got a Devo 8 that I added the telemetry module to (Does that make it a Devo 8S?).
I often refer to mine as a Devo-8/S or Devo-8 upgraded to S but the distinction between an upgraded TX and a true 8S from the factory is likely moot for most discussions.

Quote:
I hadn't tried updating it till tonight, and I'm running into an issue. I've got the software downloaded onto my pc (actually my Mac running Bootcamp) and running, but when I put the tx into DFU mode and plug it into the USB port, nothing happens.
I'm not a Mac user so I can't help you all that much but maybe my Windoze experience with my upgrade may be of some use.

After installing the upgrade software on my Widoze 7 laptop, it didn't correctly install the drivers for it, which seems to be expected for some reason, and had to select the new device in the 'Devices and Printers' and then have it manually install the drivers. Your not seeing it in the list of devices though sort of negates that.

Quote:
When I say 'nothing', I'm used Windows sounding those two tones whenever something USB is connected, and I'm not getting those tones. I don't see it appear in the device manager.
It may work to try to manually install the drivers even if the device doesn't show up, maybe?

Quote:
Hence, I can't ever get to the point of installing drivers.
I believe the drivers exist in the install directory, are you able to find anything in there that looks like it or they may be drivers?

Quote:
The screen of the tx looks like it's in the DFU mode, it says something about programming update, but nothing happens when connecting it to the computer. I'm pretty sure my USB cable is good, as I've used it with other things recently.
Even with the TX disconnected, if I start it up using the secret hand shake, wink, nod, spin around and fart, twice sequence, it will come up in the DFU mode no matter what so there's no real information there.

I would doubt the problem is your cable as well.

Quote:
At first I thought maybe it was a Mac/Windows mix up, so I drove to work and picked up my work pc. Unfortunately, it does the same thing with it. Has anyone been down this road before?
Kinda sorta, I did get it to work but I think I had to connect and disconnect it a few times for Windoze to recognize it and I also think that I had to tell Windoze to search for new hardware before it finally found it.

Quote:
There was a guy asking the same thing on the Walkera forum last week, but he didn't get any worthwhile responses.
There's no guarantee my response is any more worthwhile although my having an 8/S and the upgrade software workable on my Windoze box, even if I have to uninstall it and reinstall it and pay closer attention to what I had to do to get it to work, we should be able to get you going.

On the other hand, you may get lucky and a Mac user who may have gone through the upgrade may be able to give you more useful info sooner.

We'll see if one comes along but until one or more does, I will try to help as much as I can because I know what it's like to ask questions of a brick wall and get nothing but silence in return and it isn't fun.
Heli-opolis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I first had the same problem with my Devo8s.
Then I followed exactly these instructions (the driver must be installed manually):

http://image.helipal.com/helipal-dev...ware-big-1.jpg

Hope this will work. Marc
marc48 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Diagnosed, but not fixed yet.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I wound up pulling the case apart and seeing that the usb socket was not well soldered onto the board, and has lifted up on one edge. I'll fix it after work. Hopefully that's my last surprise in this process. Woo hoo,

Rafa
Old 04-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Fixed and updated! Those solder connections are tiny!

Rafa

Quote:
Thanks for the responses, guys. I wound up pulling the case apart and seeing that the usb socket was not well soldered onto the board, and has lifted up on one edge. I'll fix it after work. Hopefully that's my last surprise in this process. Woo hoo,

Rafa
Old 04-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Fixed and updated! Those solder connections are tiny!

Rafa
Cool!

Well, not so cool as it was borked from the factory but it IS cool that you got it to work anyway!

You do know though that you just voided your warranty, right?

I know you were worried about that.

Seriously though, good job!
Heli-opolis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks! Lol on warranty. I probably voided it by installing the telemetry module, or by flipping the mode and throttle hold switches, or by buying it second hand.

Happy Thursday,

Rafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli-opolis View Post
Cool!

Well, not so cool as it was borked from the factory but it IS cool that you got it to work anyway!

You do know though that you just voided your warranty, right?

I know you were worried about that.

Seriously though, good job!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in