Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Seagull ep edge 540 setup.

Ok so with the nic weather beginning to show, i decided to get another plane,

Now, i was hoping to get advice on best setup,

i have 2 options available, i have the power system from a art-tec cessna 500 class big scale,

motor and esc and lipo is rated at...

Motor: CT3511-760KV out runner brushless
Li-Poly battery: 3S 11.1V, 2400mAh/20C
ESC: 30A Brushless ESC

this system ive bench tested and works well with the cessna's stock prop,
it wants to lift the completed plane verticle at 60% throtle, 100% throttle and it will go verticle,

this setup is lighter than the recomended setup i got from the lhs,

i purchased a
Tornado Thumper V2 4260 500KV Overlander Thumper,
the esc required is a 60amp
and can use the lipo from above,

i know this setup is more powerfull but i need to wait till i can get the funds for an esc
i do have a 60 amp one but i had issues with it shutting down in my heli, would need a throttle off then it reboots its self, hmm,

i was basicaly wondering should i just use the cessna's setup, or go with the recomended setup,

im fairly new to ep 3D models, so mainly using it as a sport flyyer, perhaps some harriers and light aerobatics...

the weight on the cessna's set up is perfect, its balanced really well and seems adequate on power, my cessna model weighs in much more than the 540

i guess all i really wanna know is im i likely to run into issues with the cessna setup?

i could really use the money i would pay for a 60 amp esc to get some new lipos

its a very nice model so i dont wanna snuff it on the maiden lol

thanks in advance

puggs
puggster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

anyone?

Old 03-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

what size i have the .60 540 from Seagull but i got a Satio 1.00 on it with JR Digital servos
AMA#948801
Elios000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

nice how do these segull planes fly?
ive heard nothing but good on them exept the landing gear needs reinforced a bit,

ive got 9g hitec metal gear servos on the ailerons and HB ones on the tail, i using the pull pull, arms with one end choped off, for full range throws, dialed into a dx6i, lots of expo, and 100% 50% dual rates, im planning of adding a gyros for the tail and ailerons at some point, but waiting to see how she flys,

im gonna go with the cessna setup, its not overly powerfull but should se her airborne

ill add the thumper motor and esc later if she lacks power, but for now im sure
it will go ok, the segull edge is way lighter than the cessna so fingers crossed,

ill try and video the maiden, soon

Old 03-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

here is a video of me flying it
havent got it out really this spring yet need to buy fuel still debating getting a DLE20 gas engine to replace the Saito 1.00 4 stroke glow
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYxiwCtG5W0[/ame]
AMA#948801
Old 03-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

really nice plane, i was considering buying the bigger gas model, but figured it would be cheaper trying out a 3D class model first hand before getting the bigger versions,

i have a nitro trainer, a hanger 9 alpha 40, the dsm2 dx5e bundle, the bright orange one, ive modifyed the wings, put in a carbon fiber tube, and smaller tube where the pins are, ive shaved off some dyhedral, and put bigger arms on the aileron servo, throws are to the max, flyes like a sport plane, stock engine with a 2 blade prop, and weight removed from the prop shaft, need fuel for it lol

i just maidend my segull tonight, here in scotland the weather has been phenominal, exeptionaly good for this time of year so making the most of it already

the little segull ep flys great, half rates with 60% expo, trimed right of the bat too which i didnt expect, due to having 2 elevator servos and aileron servos, i thought one or the other would be off, but no trim needed,

the cessna powerplant is very under powerd, i didnt use the 3 blade prop, i should have as it has more thrust but lower top speed, this plane needs thrust more than speed ild say,

however floated nicley around very slow and scale like, no bad stall tendencys, even some inverted fig 8's and very fast hi rate snap rolls, even pulled off a verticle climb followed by some nice predictable tumbles, on full throws this plane just is amazingly capable of anything

the balance was according to the manual, but i think ot was a touch nose heavy, the landing got a bit tippy on aproach so had to come in hotter and with no wind or breeze it didnt like slow 3 point landings, had to 2 wheel it then it hit the grass verge of the path and tipped lol, nothing damaged, so ild say it was as succesfull as it gets really,

im holding off flying it again untill i get the 60amp esc, the current setup is too slow.
80% - 90% throttle just to maintain good air speed

anyhoos, novel written, maden done, i now know what to expect from this bird

thanks
Old 03-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

this size can be run on gas too and the engine is cheaper then most 4 strokes
you can get a DLE20 20cc gaser for $250 which is 50 bucks less then i payed for the Saito 1.00 in it now and it bolts right in the stock engine mount

if its taking more throttle current isnt the issue rpm or prop pitch is
ether you need more prop or a higher KV motor

what prop size and pitch are you flying on it atm? and what KV motor
i had this same issue with my Bonanza the motor KV was to low for the prop size
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkYXz2wERJg[/ame]
AMA#948801
Old 03-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

im using this set up currently
Motor: CT3511-760KV out runner brushless
Li-Poly battery: 3S 11.1V, 2400mAh/20C
ESC: 30A Brushless ESC
Eflite 12x6 prop

the original prop for this setup when it was on my cessna was a 3 blade 10x8 prop,
runs slower but feels more thrust compared to the 2 bladed prop,

the prop was picked out for my ovelander motor, which is a 500kv 750w motor if i recall correctly im guessing its not suited to my art tec 500 class motor which is 760kv, the 3 bladed prop put the cessna verticle for about 60-80ft give ot take, it would prop hang it nearly, so i think the 3 bladed prop will work better perhaps?

i was a bit dubious about using it cos it looked small on the edge, i was worried it wouldent work,

i will try test the thrust on both props tomorow, if its not giving much more i will probably wait for my 60amp esc, that way its overkill compared to the recomended setup should punch a hole in the sky with that

do you think i could get away with chucking a small 10 0r 15 class 2 stroke nitro engine in there? there is bags of room for gas tanks and wot not...

just i have a 15 size engine in my man drawer of cool stuff, soz prob a stupid idea lol

its prob not put together with the right glue for it anyways lol

anyhoos nice planes u got, im likeing the beechcraft, its an ole time fave of mine,

ive flown one at a club i was at years ago, nice big 60 size 4 stroker in there, awesome power, mind you i wasnt allowed to land it cos i was only just starting out with my 40 sized P52 mustang, lol, ah the good ole days

but yeah might cosider a biger edge 540, i have a 22cc petrol strimmer/weedwhacker, it could be easily converted to rc engine, its got a threaded prop shaft already, makes things easyer, no adapters, anyhoos
ill keep it in mind once i get bored with this one lol
Old 03-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes it ill be slower top speed but more thrust im going to say your motor KV is to low
imo you want closer to 840 KV with that prop i use an 11x7 on my Bonanza

that Seagull Edge is perfect for a 22cc gasser
AMA#948801
Old 03-30-2012, 03:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

cool, right ill try the 10x8 should kinda match the performance of an 11x7

after all its matched to the motor i have,

it cant be any worse performance
the edge actualy looks pretty nice with the 3 blade prop, ive got the chrome spinner on too,

anyhoos ill letcha know the outcome

thanks
Old 03-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by puggster View Post
cool, right ill try the 10x8 should kinda match the performance of an 11x7

after all its matched to the motor i have,

it cant be any worse performance
the edge actualy looks pretty nice with the 3 blade prop, ive got the chrome spinner on too,

anyhoos ill letcha know the outcome

thanks
10x8 will have LESS thrust but higher top speed id go with an 11x6 or 12x6 for that model

3blade props are a pain for the Edge id go with a Vess prop for a 22cc gasser id run a 16x6, all the way up to a 18x6 if you have the ground clearance but a 17x8 might be the sweet spot

also replace the wheels the stock foam ones are junk get 2 3/4" dubro wheels

im trying to get a deal on a DLE20 for my Edge and plan to run a Vess 17x8 on it
AMA#948801
Old 04-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

flown it with the 10x8 3 blade prop, did have more performance, was much faster but wouldent even try to hover, just stalled and fliped over, got into a flat spin and it just had enough power to recover almost stacked it lol, well i think no matter what prop i use it the motor is not strong enough, its alright for zipping around but forget any 3D, i guess ill just buy the 60amp esc and chuck the overlander motor in...

yeah the stock wheels are pant's, i have the ones from my cessna, as i put bigger wheels on that plane, there about 3x the size of the puney stock ones, im gonna get the metal stronger landing gear for the edge when i pick up the esc,

oh any tips on slowing this bird down on landing, it comes in hotter than "grandmas freshly baked cookies" if i get slow it gets a bit squirly do yoou think if i program in some flaperons, i hear this is a bad idea for 3D planes, but if it helps fly slow for landings ild give it a shot..

oh for the bigger edge, ive decided to pick one up for a winter project, im gonna strip that ole weed whacker and convert to rc engine, for what i can see the prop shaft is plugged into a clutch one bolt removes it and has a good size prop shaft for slinging a prop on right off the bat, should get away without using a prop adapter,

the engine mounts are exact the same as an rc engine and the coil system is very small, might make an ideal engine,

crap i type alot anyways yeah
ill se how things go with the biger motor setup, the lhs said that motor is a beast, its overkill for the plane by far, just hope not too powerfull it rips the thing apart lol
Old 04-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

if your talking about the Edge a BIGGER PROP it really needs 15x6 or bigger on it to fly right
trust me put a 15x6 or 16x6 on and itll slow right down
land with a little throttle if its e powered and the big prop will act like a speed break mine lands pretty slow
AMA#948801
Old 06-05-2012, 04:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

hi.. just an update on the plane..

well forked out a overlander pro 4s 2200 60c pack, and overlander 60 amp esc, as recomended by the lhs, so set it up on the edge and fired her up,

couldent belive the power it had, but sadly it was short lived..

took her to the flying feild flew right out of my hands like a dream, could hover and climb verticle no problem, i was so happy with the performance, so decided to go for some sport circuts and fig 8's usual stuff, cranked her up to 80% throttle and she took off like a rocket.. cruzing along and all i heard was a plonk, then a whirring sound, next second the elevators riped clean off the plane... aaaarrrrr no elevators...

tryed to slow her down and using a combination of rudder and aileron i tryed a knife edge to bring her back, worked ok till she stalled at about 50ft, pannicked and gave her some poke and she dived straight into the tree's, totly obliverated the plane into a zillion peices... the only thing that survived was the hitec karbon servos, the esc and battery, well one cell got damaged so i converted it to a 3 cell for my heli, so not a total loss... however my reciver and gyro i had for the rudder totaly vanished the plane landed in very long grass woodland area but couldent recover it even after an hour search, gutted, the plane i can live with as crashes happen just gutted my reciver as it was new lol...ah wel thats life i guess

if i get another kit the hinges are getting epoxyed in,i think what happend was the flimsy push rods bent under the forces and detached from the horns then the elevators started to flap around and blew off, shame cos she was a very nice plane to fly..

ive now put the motor and esc in my artec cessna 182 big scale, its a totaly difrent plane, bags of power, and i can prop hang it lol, prop hang a cessna you ask? yeah awesome lol...

the speed is like WOOOOW!!!! i think a bit over kill but seriously fun

anyhoos just thought ild drop by and share this incedent..

thanks
puggz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in