Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Overcoming the fear of wrecking...again

Hey guys. My first collective pitch bird was the 450x. On the maiden, I crashed it which caused about $100 worth of damage. She's all fixed now and I've also gotten a 180cfx and mcpxBL since then. I can fly around both of the micros fine. I've flipped them both multiple times. But for some reason I still get the jitters when I fire that 450 up. I hover and fly around a little but I'm afraid of another costly wreck LOL. Has anyone else experienced this? Mind you, I fly on the sim all the time and fly the micros too. I'm just wondering how I overcome the fear. I know I can do it. I just need to break that barrier....
Adeezy9183 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2015, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

I think it helps to go in with a plan. Work out a simple routine in the sim and then take it out to the field and do it. Maybe even something as simple as figure 8s until you're feeling more confident.

You'll get over the jitters in no time. It used to be that when I crashed something it would ruin my day and I wouldn't fly anything else because my nerves were so rattled. Nowadays I just shake it off and continue to enjoy my day at the field. If I crash one model I throw it in the car, jump right back up on the horse and fly another just to get past it as quick as possible.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2015, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you know what caused the crash?
James Recard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Adeezy9183 - Crash

I always seem to forget to breathe! My crashes (many) all came from being too low to the ground, hovering, being dumb, etc. etc. Once I got 'er up in the air, 20 feet or so, I found I could breathe easier, relax, and start to do some circuits, 8's and enjoy it. The higher up I went the easier it was to recover. I still don't fly very elegantly (or very good for that matter!), but my crashing has gone way down, and more importantly, my confidence level is up and I really look forward to each time I can get out and fly. Good luck!
Bluebell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nelson had a lot of good advice there, and I know exactly what you are feeling. Starting out I was the same way. Couple things I can offer.....

Space - you need a large, unobstructed space to fly in. Knowing you have the room to fly and recover if you get out of shape is very important. Flying in too small a space will just add pressure you don't need.

Sim - Like Nelson said...use the sim as a tool and practice what you want to fly IRL. The sim is great to develop muscle memory, but you have to use it as a tool and with a purpose so not to develop bad habits.

Flight time - Use the 180 to go out and fly what you practiced in the sim. Dial the DR and Expo up to make it controllable for you, and just fly as much as you can. There is no substitute for real flight time.

Once you feel comfortable flying a plan with the 180, fly the same plan with the 450x. The 450x is louder, bigger, and seems more intimidating than the smaller helis, but it will fly the same way they do. The bigger helis are more stable than the smaller ones, and you just have to get past the size / noise.

All that leads up to confidence. If you can fly a plan with the 180, you can with the 450x. You just have to believe / know that you can, then just do it. If you crash, you repair, and do it again.

I'll be honest, my 450x still gives me a little pause because I know I need more flight time with it. The last good day we had here, I did my first good stall turn with it, and it went just like it did in the sim. Only difference was it seemed faster IRL.

Think of it as continuous learning. You get a plan / maneuver right, you build confidence. If you crash, you repair and set up again, and that is also part of the hobby. You get good at setting up your heli, the more confidence you have in it when you fly. So it's really a no loose type thing.

Hope this helps
XRedJar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

All good advice guys. Thanks. My crash with the 450x was due to inexperience in collective pitch. My only other bird at that time was the 200 SRX and I thought I was ready but wasn't. I fly in a pretty big park that has a few football fields. I know I can do it. I just need to break that barrier. Last time I was out, I flew the 180 and MCPX BL all around the field. Flips, piro's, high speed passes. But I just get nervous with the 450. Plus, the weather hasn't been very nice here. Cold mostly and that just adds to the nervousness cuz my hands are cold and shaking too. Anywho, I'll do more and more with it and keep u guys posted. As many spare parts as I have, I am considering building another 450 with those and use it as a beater
Old 03-05-2015, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If it helps, you can set the DR low like 50 - 60, but I'd not use a lot of expo. I find I end up over correcting a lot with high expo. I'm in the 10 - 15 range on expo. With this set up, the heli is responsive to control inputs, but with limited range because of the DR, you don't over correct as much.

You can also set a pitch curve in normal of 40, 45, 50, 75, 100 and that will make it a little easier to land.

Just go back to basics on the 450x and fly as much as you can. I would not worry about making a "beater", just take it slow and build confidence with the one you have. I did upgrade the frame to the Lynx CF frame. After rebuilding on a plastic frame, I vowed not to do that again.
XRedJar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

I've known several people who started out with the "I need 2 or 3 of the same heli for backups" mentality. In almost every case they end up crashing all of them and maybe keeping one of them. Or worse, they hardly ever crash and the others just sit on the shelf. The moral of the story is it's way more cost effective to just repair one when needed and continue to upgrade the one with good components as your skill and expectations increase. Save that money for later when you feel like branching out into a larger bird or something completely different like an airplane or FPV. Variety is the spice of life.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks again guys
Old 03-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

No fear, have fun! I enjoying rebuilding as much as I like to fly!

Frank
ourflat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2015, 09:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I look at helis the same way the Seals look at explosives. Two is one and one is none.
CrashandBurn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2015, 12:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got a 180 and 300CFX pretty much at the same time. Not my first CP helis though. The 300 scared me sh_tless on the maiden. The 180 I was fine with. But the head speed seems far higher on the 180, and now I'm comfortable with both I feel a lot more relaxed on the 300. If I crash it, the cost is a whole lot higher than the 180, but it just seems like time slows down when I fly it compared to the 180. Or it's like flying in slow motion. And with a lower head speed it just doesn't intimidate like it used to.

Once I did my first flip on it, I had a good feel for it. So I reckon just go high and get your first inverted or some kind of move done, then you should have the confidence.

Now I'm more focussed (i.e. concerned) when I fly my 180!

Love having both, if the worst happens with one I just shrug my shoulders and move onto the next. And my Nano is always there if I have a really bad day!
Old 03-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Stick time will get rid of the fear. Fly 10 times a day for a week and you will be fine. Stay within your comfort zone and fly through the fear. Practice on the sim and with your micros helps but there is no substitute for stick time.
BTW not my advice , got this from one of the best
d12bn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

All good advice. I flew the 450 a little this morning. Finally not freezing cold outside. I wasn't as nervous for some reason and flew it around. Nothing crazy just trying to build my confidence with it. I've flown my MCPX BL a lot here lately and I can zip it around no problem. Same with the 180 but out of all of them, I'm most comfortable with the BL. And it is supposedly more difficult to fly than any of my birds. I guess because I've flown it the most. Anywho, hopefully this afternoon, I can take the 450 out to my local flying spot and really open her up. Will get back with U guys
Old 03-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tons of great advice in this thread. One thing no one seems to have said is spend LOTS of time in an organized fashion on your sim.

Have you seen this thread????? Spectacular advice on "How to go from tail in to all 8's and funnels in 6 months (and more!). best advice you will ever get short of a private heli coach:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=531380

Not only does it deal with "fear" it gives a logical, structured approach that is VERY encouraging as you will (if you follow the advice) be acutely aware of (and get to celebrate!) your progress.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Location: Perth, Western Australia (the most isolated (AND COVID FREE!) capital city on earth!)

+20!

It works!

Paolo
XLPower 700, ALIGN 550L (beater), Prôtos MAX V2 Leggero 700 & Evoluzione 800 (RCHN #803 - joined just before they shut up shop!)
PaoloFCantoni is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just go with the Buddhist philosophy that everything is temporary and already destroyed so enjoy it as it is right now.
CrashandBurn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bigger flying field really helped me. The bigger birds can pick up speed so fast you can quickly run out of room at a small field surrounded with trees.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm visiting my parents in West Virginia. Brought the 450x amongst others. Flown it a few times over the weekend. Just doing the simple hovering stuff and piouretting. But this morning, I put a battery in it, did a functions check and said f@!k it. Spoiled up, hovered it, hit idle up and took off. Flipped it a bunch. About 100 feet in the air. So I'm thinking I broke the fear barrier. Finally! Happy flying boys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in