Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Genius CP

Genius CP Walkera Genius CP Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well I put the C05 back on and even though the vibe was still there the lower rpm prevented it from affecting the gyros, I also returned to stock with the same result. I have spares of every part except the head so began swapping parts to isolate the problem all to no avail, completely smooth until the blades go on. The blades are perfectly balanced both statically and dynamically to within 100th of a gram so i have ordered a new head.

Even though my head appears undamaged, I remember when I got my GCP I had random cyclic movements with no stick input and eventually traced it to the head. Since then I've had 14 months of trouble free flying and so have overlooked the head which has suffered many collisions and moments of madness.

Hopefully get this motor revue back on track tomorrow
alphonso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fitted the new head today and spun her up, very smooth in the hand with no tingly fingers. It is now fitted with a 7 tooth pinion to try and improve on the 3.30 min flight time.
Turned on the timer and gently lifted off, I say gently as it fairly shot in the air before settling into a nice hover. Did a few pitch pumps and the power is immense compared to the C05 but I was mainly interested in the duration so just did circuits and tested the power for the next few minutes. Had a slight drop in rpm about 3.30 mins and eventually landed at 4.40 when the rx low voltage pulsed.
So thats one minute more with the 7 tooth over the 8 tooth and very powerful with barely noticeable bogging at the extremes.

If I was learning CP or not doing acrobatics etc I think the C05 with its 6+ minutes duration would still be the best BL option.

If you're seeking a big increase in performance for a 4+ minute flight time then I seriously recommend you try this motor out.

Test done using Hyperion 240mah cells fitted with micro deans, I really dont think walkera connectors would be up to the task here and I wont even mention the stock cells.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you run BLheli? Asking because this weekend I hope I'm gonna install mine and I intend to govern it down to around 4400rpm, while using the 8t pinion.
sbstnp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp View Post
Do you run BLheli? Asking because this weekend I hope I'm gonna install mine and I intend to govern it down to around 4400rpm, while using the 8t pinion.
No I use the WK10A LT , my next buy will be a high speed esc with BLheli as I hear you get more efficiency and hence longer duration. It would be nice to have governer mode too as I've found flat 100 is just too much with this motor. I'm still on my original main bearings so will change them and see if I can get rid of the resonance at max rpm I'm seeing.

You'll get more out of it with a 7 tooth i feel. more punch and more flight time. I ran a flat 75 curve with the 7 tooth and the rpm and power was still very good.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphonso View Post
No I use the WK10A LT , my next buy will be a high speed esc with BLheli as I hear you get more efficiency and hence longer duration. It would be nice to have governer mode too as I've found flat 100 is just too much with this motor. I'm still on my original main bearings so will change them and see if I can get rid of the resonance at max rpm I'm seeing.

You'll get more out of it with a 7 tooth i feel. more punch and more flight time. I ran a flat 75 curve with the 7 tooth and the rpm and power was still very good.
HobbyKing has the 10A Oversky in stock I think.

Unfortunately I only have 8t for this 1.5mm shaft, I found a 7t in my box but it's for a 1mm shaft. I don't have patience to order and wait for one.

Gonna try the 8t and have it governed, I hope the ESC won't get too hot with a low duty cycle.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

the walkera esc was a little warm with the 8 tooth and the cell slightly warmer than using the C05 and 8 tooth. The motor was the same temperature to touch with both 7 and 8 tooth and was barely warm.

Did I mention the power lol

I must stress that the considerably higher rpm will show up any imperfection or imbalance on the genius and seriously affect the cyclic gyros, i had to give mine a complete overhaul and the blades must be perfect, I mean REALLY perfect.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I've identified an issue with using this motor on the Genius. It chews main gears. Also if the main gear is not tight on the shaft, then the power can pull the shaft out of the gear. I drilled a 1 mm hole through the hub of the gear and fixed it with one of the screws that fixes the rotor head but the teeth are looking worn on my third gear in as many days.
I could try the thicker Mini CP gear but then I'd lose duration due to the higher ratio, Ive already gone down to 7 teeth pinion and I'm sure its increasing wear but 8 tooth only gives 3.30 minutes.

Does anyone know if there is a delrin upgrade for the Genius?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

has anyone tried the Extreme Production auto gear set yet? I know its a pointless upgrade but if it is thicker or Delrin it could be very good for this motor.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
has anyone tried the Extreme Production auto gear set yet? I know its a pointless upgrade but if it is thicker or Delrin it could be very good for this motor.
I heard they are brittle. But, if you find one at a good price I guess it would be worth a shot.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:34 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmmm, I'll likely give it a try but buying from WOW is expensive for europe if you only want small parts and I always get clobbererd at customs.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hmmm, I'll likely give it a try but buying from WOW is expensive for europe if you only want small parts and I always get clobbererd at customs.
Living in Europe too and I always buy from Hong Kong. Seems to get the package in ~2 weeks at decent shipping rates. I use miracle-mart a lot for things I can't find at HobbyKing. Sometimes hobbyone for Walkera shit but they seem to have increased the shipping costs by a ridiculous amount, again ($4 at MM = $14 at hobbyone).

If my order doesn't go above $100 customs just hand it over no questions asked. If it's over $100 and marked as gift they sometimes want to see what's inside the package (rule is they aren't allowed to open the parcel unless I'm there) and if they see electronics or "toys" they seem happy to get rid of me by handing over the whole thing

Anyway, to stay on topic:

http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...th=110_265_611

Could be you need to buy shaft + gear + bearing initially, dunno if it fits on the stock shaft.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks for that. I'll get the complete kit and 3 or 4 spare gears. It looks like the gear is the weakest link with this motor. I think the 8 tooth pinion may not cause as much wear if you try yours on the mini CP. I assume you'll be using the Genius gear too for duration and sensible head speed.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
thanks for that. I'll get the complete kit and 3 or 4 spare gears. It looks like the gear is the weakest link with this motor. I think the 8 tooth pinion may not cause as much wear if you try yours on the mini CP. I assume you'll be using the Genius gear too for duration and sensible head speed.
No problem.

I intend to start with the 8t and Mini main gear since it is sturdier. I'll try to govern it down to around stock speed, 4400-4800 max since I run BLHeli.

Another issue I have is my pinion is slip fit, so I have to glue it down. I only have blue & green loctite, I hope that the green will hold with so much torque. If not, I'll have to get hold of some red loctite.

And I think I'm gonna order some Hyperions 240mah. My nanotechs 300mah are all shot. I had 3 noname 350mah, they were pretty good, but I managed to break the red wire exactly where it enters the connector on one of them. I have no spare connectors with leads, and no crimping tool. So that battery is off duty for now, that leaves me with only 2 batteries, of questionable origin and quality. Was thinking of ordering some 260mah nano-techs, but I basically managed to kill 10 300mah last summer, so I'll try something else for now.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hyperions all the way. almost the most powerful on the market but the main thing is how reliable they are and they fit perfectly in the frame.
I think BLheli will be handy for this one, do you know if the 7A and 10A esc's on miracle mart site are the same as the oversky ones?
Old 01-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hyperions all the way. almost the most powerful on the market but the main thing is how reliable they are and they fit perfectly in the frame.
I think BLheli will be handy for this one, do you know if the 7A and 10A esc's on miracle mart site are the same as the oversky ones?
They both look different from mine. You can get a 10A from HobbyKing at a very good price. Downside is you have to tap signal on the back of the board, or solder some 0402 package resistor youself.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=574

This is what I use (out of stock atm):
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...elicopter.html

There's another double ESC (identical to Oversky I think):
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._100_etc_.html

Very good price for both.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought 3 new main gears to continue testing while I wait for the thicker Extreme gear. Tried them all and they felt very smooth in the hand but at the point of lift off the heli vibrated violently.
Just about to give up and put the C05 back in when I thought just try one more thing. The solution was simply push the very small 7 tooth pinon very close to the gear. I noticed that with an 8 tooth pinion the heli was fine and a hell of a lot more pinion is in contact with the gear, therefore the mesh is likely not as critical. The 7 tooth gives much more duration but the mesh must be almost too tight. The pinion has a nice profiled pitch on the teeth so I think it will be fine.

So pleased as I didnt want to use the thicker but less teeth Mini CP gear as I would be back to a short flight. And I'm not a fan of the Exttreme stuff as I think its mostly un needed and not well designed. The one way bearing upgrade is pointless but If they simply made a stronger main gear then that would be perfect. Also their CNC head looks fantastic but I fear metal parts that small will bend easily whilst offering no performance increase, and it is supplied to fit your existing feathering bushes which we all know are the only weak point of the head. Badly designed as they dont address the faults of the original equipment.

My heli flies great, and I may have mentioned how powerful this motor is lol
Old 03-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

anyone successfully governed this motor??? what settings are you using? ive been runnning 100% TC in IU (un governed) and 80% pitch TA with a 7mm CCW with V2 rotor with some success. Will get TBO on extreme or dumb thumbs...

Ive just attached a plug and recieved my toolstick and wanted to run governed... wondered what gov mode and HS you guys run at?
Old 03-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alphonso, I have tried the xtreme auto gears, mine didn't work kept slipping on the clutch or whatever crap i think they are waste of money.
Hope you have more luck, keep us posted.

Last edited by SurferOfTheSkys; 03-14-2013 at 07:40 PM..
SurferOfTheSkys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

the resonance has come back and I cant get it flying like it did before until the battery voltage drops near the end of the lipo. With the C05 its very smooth, the tail doesn't even pulse in left hand circiuts so I know I've eliminated all vibes. I'm beginning to think the flexy frame may be the cause so will try building it as a Minius
Old 03-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default best BL options?

Hi Guys,
My GCP V2 motor just died today with no apparent reason...
Can you please let me know what would be the best brushless option for the heli and also maybe some hyperlinks with the needed items?
Is this setup using also brushless for the tail?
Thanks for the info
Cheers
Florin
http://rchelistuff.blogspot.com
cofl1001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in