Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default trex 250 kit or combo

I am thinking about getting a 250 size helicopter and of course Align keeps popping in my head. But would it be better to get the SE combo or a kit and add my own electronics? I've seen a lot of the SE combos for around 430 and a kit without everything for 164. Which is the better deal after adding everything up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well that really depends on what you're looking for. There's really nothing wrong with the stock electronics in the combo kit, and its a good value for the price.

However if you're one of those that wants the "best" as far as electronics go then you're better off just building the kit and adding in your own electronics.

Again it just boils down to what your budget is and what you want out of the helicopter.

Maybe someone else with a little bit more experience can chime in here..
Old 02-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Stock servos are great for the money, I usually stick with them, they're a great baseline.

Stock motor and ESC are fine, I prefer the CC25 becuase I like to use the set RPM gov mode and put in 3500, 4000, and 4500 as my target headspeeds. I would buy the Scorpion HKII 2206-3900 motor and use a 16T pinion. There's nothing wrong with the stock motor and ESC, but if I had to buy them, I wouldn't buy the stock Align parts.

I would use the gyro from the combo... if I had to buy one it would be the Futaba GY520, or the Spartan Quark. Same thing on the gyro, stock is fine, but if I had to pay retail for it, I wouldn't get the 780/790.

All of that will probably add up to more than the SuperCombo price. I believe that stock is fine, but if I could get a kit-only and put the slight upgrades I prefer, I'd probably do that.
DX8 + Telemetery on all
JoeW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by inner3 View Post
I am thinking about getting a 250 size helicopter and of course Align keeps popping in my head. But would it be better to get the SE combo or a kit and add my own electronics? I've seen a lot of the SE combos for around 430 and a kit without everything for 164. Which is the better deal after adding everything up?
There are better deals to be found. I live in Canada and my LHS gave me the Super Combo for $360 plus tax. Came to $403.20 here in British Columbia. Canadian Taxes are a female dog . But I sure do like my health care LOL .
litehawkdown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah, Rotorquest here in Ontario seem to have about the best combo prices here. Right now you can get an SE super combo for about $330, or the new Pro for around $370.

I've never seen them get the 'kit only' ones though...
DX8 + Telemetery on all
JoeW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Price wise alone, it is cheaper to get the super combo.

Most likely you will end up at least changing out the tail servo and probably the gyro. I have 5 Align Helis and the ONLY Align electronics left on them are The DS610 Cyclic servos on my 550E and the 700MX motor on my 700E (and that may be headed for a replacement)

For reference, Todays Helidirect prices for the components I run on my 250 is a total of $428.00
Three Hitec 65MG servos for the cyclic ~ $30.00/servo
JR DS3500G Tail servo ~$80.00
Castle Creations 25amp ESC ~ $68.00
Viper 3600KV motor ~$40.00
Futaba GY520 Gyro ~ $150.00

My 250 flys amazing with the above setup and TP 65C batteries

Based on the prices that you gave it would cost you about $162.00 more than the super combo to put your own electronics on the 250 and in my opinion have a much better helicopter with no tail wag, no motor bogging, a tail that doesn't blow out on fast backward moves, and one that flys alot like a 450.
rctazz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
dze
Registered Users

this is a serious answer .. but if you have to ask get a combo .. IF you have to ask, no way you will out-fly it .. sure theres better setups, but ultimately more money and again, if you have to ask, you wont be able to utilize 'more performance' anytime soon .. just the way it is .. a combo is a solid setup for the money ..
dze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree with dze and actually meant to write something similar. A super combo will fly just fine in most hovering and sport flying. It is a good value. It really comes down to the kind of flying you do. I still maintain that you will at least change the gyro and probably tail servo. I did nothing more than change out the tail gyro and the 250 infamous tail wag was eliminated.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I am humble enough to admit you are right. I have RTF helis so haven't had to deal with this before. But I'm ready to start pushing my flying, already doing tons of sim time and won't something to learn on, so the stock electronics should be good enough. Then as my flying progresses I can sway out some electronics and eventually move to a FBL head and beastx. my LHS has the SE for 329, far better price then I expected. I was looking at the walkera v200d03, but even the walkera guys are saying going for the trex 250. I love my new v120d02s, flies great, but for the 200 size it looks like I'm going for the trex. Will the build be all that difficult? Supposedly Align makes a manual that is pretty easy to follow. Doing the build so I learn every single part of the helicopter. Only been flying for 14 months so there is still more to learn.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I am humble enough to admit you are right. I have RTF helis so haven't had to deal with this before. But I'm ready to start pushing my flying, already doing tons of sim time and won't something to learn on, so the stock electronics should be good enough. Then as my flying progresses I can sway out some electronics and eventually move to a FBL head and beastx. my LHS has the SE for 329, far better price then I expected. I was looking at the walkera v200d03, but even the walkera guys are saying going for the trex 250. I love my new v120d02s, flies great, but for the 200 size it looks like I'm going for the trex. Will the build be all that difficult? Supposedly Align makes a manual that is pretty easy to follow. Doing the build so I learn every single part of the helicopter. Only been flying for 14 months so there is still more to learn.

The build is easy to follow but the parts are not easy to see. Make sure you get some type of magnifying device. A magnifying visor like below, not necessarily lighted. Also make sure you pick up a high quality hex driver, the one that comes in the kit is garbage and the screw heads are really easy to strip. I think the size on the SE is .050 inch but someone else will have to chime in on that. I have an old model partially converted to SE so I have a mix of sizes on mine. Don't over tighten the screws, they break very easily. Make sure to loc-tite everything, even the parts that are factory assembled but be careful not to get any on bearings and spacers. Finally, take your time and use this forum as a resource (make sure to use the search feature first). There is lot's of wisdom on here regarding building.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Since this would be my first build would it be easier to do a trex 500 first?
Old 02-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Since this would be my first build would it be easier to do a trex 500 first?
It would be easier because of size of parts and electronics/wiring placement. But the build will be very close as far as assembly.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah I'm going to wait until I get a larger helicopter. Either another 450 or 500 to do a build.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in