Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Upgrades Anonymous :)

Hi, my name is Mark and I am an upgrad-o-holic

I think I've resigned myself to the fact that if anything looks stronger or tighter or just cooler, it's going to end up on my heli.

I'm really happy that there is such a strong ecosystem supporting the TREX 550E.

It makes things fun!

Recent upgrades:
  • KDE main gears with thrust bearings ( really nice improvement)
  • KDE battery tray( helps secure my buffer battery better )
  • KDE tail upgrade ( seems nice )
  • KDE Head ( nice clamping mechanism, minor improvement )
  • 600 EFL blade holders and arms ( total bling, but looks stronger)
  • Tarot 2.0mm frames ( cheaper stronger )
There is very little Align left in my 550E other than the crash parts, but I guess those are the parts that I will buy again and again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I added the KDE front mount plate (alu) and the KDE Anti-rotation/gyro plate (alu - the anti-rotation loop is a separate piece for those with FBL.) Really strengthens/stiffens the top half of the frame. I added 4 frame spreader bars - one under the battery tray, upper, one under the main gear, drilled a pair of holes and mounted one below the main gear at the bottom tray (just above it), and I re-machined one to fit between the strut mounts at the rear base of the chassis above the rear LG mount. I made one for the front chassis base over the front LG mount but can't use it until I re-engineer the canopy mounting. All of the above made the stock frame very much stiffer and I believe, stronger. Hasn't crashed yet but has taken some hard landings with no ills.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I actually did get an extra pair of spreader bars after seeing your suggestion earlier.

I will put them below the main gear and by the battery tray when I rebuild.

I'm glad the Tarot 2.0mm frame is thicker as I was needing extra carbon shims to keep my 8717's from touching. Hopefully I can eliminate those shims now with the extra .4mm wall thickness on each side since the servos will be .8mm further apart now.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Adding the stiffeners and plates probably added back the weight saved from going to the thinner frames, but adding the parts was easier than changing out the frames to 2mm frames - a lot easier. Mind you, I don't know how strong you can make it to keep one of those batteries from falling right through it. I also put washers on all the bolts - looks better and my thinking is if a bolt pulls through, the frame is susceptible to flexing and fracturing.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ouch, looks like my one way bearing may be shot too...

Hmmm.....

Did someone say you could buy the hub with the OWB preinstalled. My last attempt to press ( read hammer ) one in didn't go well....
Old 09-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
dct
Registered Users

Except for the CC BEC Pro... my Trex 550e 3GX V2 is all stock and works....... Great just like it is!!!!!!! 26 flights and more to come...!!!
Oh,, my Trex 450 V2 has about 2000 flights on it now and it still works GREAT ...!!!
IMO the best up grade is more batteries.... That will give you more flight time and that will make YOU a better pilot....!! Not more BLING!!
Old 09-08-2011, 04:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
Ouch, looks like my one way bearing may be shot too...

Hmmm.....

Did someone say you could buy the hub with the OWB preinstalled. My last attempt to press ( read hammer ) one in didn't go well....
yes... imo the owb is £9.99 and a new sleeve is £4.59...but the whole new hub is £12.49 its a no brainer..... you cannot hammer in owb...it has to be pressed in using a drift with an angle of relief cut on. no angle and it will damage the owb casing
chris
chrismechanic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 07:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My OWB is fine. I had something jammed in there and it was dragging a little. Now it is spinning freely!

If upgrading my heli is a foolish waste of money, the bigger question is when does this hobby become foolish?

To date my PowerLab 8 V2 can recharge my Hyperions as fast as I can use them at the airfield. I have 12 batteries for my mCPX's and another dozen batteries for my kids acrobatic foamies. I'm not battery limited

The whole point of this is to have fun!

For different people that fun comes from different things. I saw on the main forum where one guy just loved building heli's and would buy kits build them up and sell them at a loss. For some people it is getting a scale model one step closer to perfection in appearance to a real heli. This can be incredibly time consuming and costly. For someone else it is FPV and flying the heli with goggles on. Once again the dollar signs can escalate pretty quickly.

To someone who is having trouble paying the bills and putting food on the table, this whole hobby is a complete waste of money and would seem foolish.

At the other end of the spectrum, I have a friend who flies RC jets with real turbines running jet fuel. He has an 8' long F-16 that goes over 200mph and he has about $12,000 in it. His engine needs to go in for service for a complete tear down periodically. He drives over 2 hours to get to an airfield with a long enough runway for him to take of and land safely.

Do I consider that foolish? For me, it would be, but for him this is his one real passion outside of work. It is not a financial burden for him or taking away from anything for his family. He loves jets, and you can see it in his face when he talks about them.

Three months ago if I knew what I was going to spend both in terms of time and money on the hobby, I might have backed off. However, I'm really enjoying this hobby and my wife says she hasn't seen a boyish grin like this on me in a while.

My 550E has only seen about 20 flights before this last crash, but each flight has been memorable and exciting. I hope to have many more flights with my blinged out 550E and I'm sure there will be new upgrades that I will want for it.

This hobby has been way too much fun!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post

This hobby has been way too much fun!!!
I think you meant IS way too much fun.

We all indulge in bling to some degree, and I see no harm in that, and no need to defend it - enjoy what you can afford.

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /
1004ron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
dct
Registered Users

I will stick with,,, ( most BLING will not make you or your helicopter fly BETTER ...!) Some people try to justify there BLING , saying it makes my helicopter fly sooooooo much better!!
After years of fly helicopter's all I'm saying is.. ( no it doesn't...)
I agree some Bling might help a little...! But most of it is just a pi$$ing contest ...!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've seen Al Szabo Jr. fly a stock 550E in video. I do not in any way shape or form expect that I will ever match his flying ability no matter how much Bling I have on my heli.

I'm not competing with anyone for a blinged out heli boobie prize. I'm just having fun

Fly what you've got and have fun!!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mkovalcson I'm with you, I enjoy the bling. Granted 90% of the bling won't make it fly any better. That's where practice comes in. And I also didn't buy a Smart phone with any intentions of it making me smarter. But it sure looks cool. Just like chrome valve covers on a Big Block.