Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters

Compass Helicopters Rage RC Hellicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 6HV KITS how the ESC quality??

hey guys im playing on getting a FBL compass 6HV kit on Blackfriday if nankinhobby.com or amainhobbies.com has a good deal on them and want to know how you guys like the ESC and does it have a BEC built in and if so are you guys using it....
Fusion 50 9080/9088 Beast X
Velocity 50n 9080/9088 VbarSAB Goblin 9180/9188 Kontronik helijive Coming soon
AnTi Taco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

The ESC does not have a built-in BEC. I only have 49 flights on my stock ESC, but it's still going strong.

I use a Western Robotics Hercules Super BEC for electronics power, but several people are using separate receiver packs. It all depends on what you're comfortable with.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

ok cool hey TheBum I see in your sig you have some aphilation with nankinhobby did they have any blackfriday sales last year?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1 Bum, the stock ESC works very well. The governor is a bit iffy though if that is something you use.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinator9 View Post
The governor is a bit iffy though if that is something you use.
Agreed. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the VBar governor works.

I'm not sure if Nankin will have any Black Friday sales. I wasn't affiliated with them this time last year.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 11-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

So if I plan on using the Super Bec, are you guys using a y adapter on the ESC servo plug...I see that the Hercules have two servo outputs, and I only have room to plug one of them in.

Does anyone know if the two servo leads are independent of each other. I use an Optima 7 receiver and it can be powered separately from the servos. Was hoping I could do that with the Hercules.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadamz@mac.com View Post
So if I plan on using the Super Bec, are you guys using a y adapter on the ESC servo plug...I see that the Hercules have two servo outputs, and I only have room to plug one of them in.
Yeah, a Y-adapter would work. My VBar had lots of extra places to plug in a second power lead, since I'm using satellite receivers.

Quote:
Does anyone know if the two servo leads are independent of each other. I use an Optima 7 receiver and it can be powered separately from the servos. Was hoping I could do that with the Hercules.
They come off the BEC output in parallel to distribute the current over two leads instead of one, so they're not independent.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 11-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Do they have any Black Friday sales"

I'd say give Mike @ Nankin a call. He may make a deal for ya. Def. the shop to go with, I did before my affiliation, that's how I became affiliated.
Cullen Colapietro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
Agreed. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the VBar governor works.
You have to love how all the electronics are all becoming one unit. I have the TotalG which has pretty much the same features (FBL sensor, Governor etc) as the V-Bar and am going to try the Gov on the TotalG this weekend if I get out.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinator9 View Post
You have to love how all the electronics are all becoming one unit. I have the TotalG which has pretty much the same features (FBL sensor, Governor etc) as the V-Bar and am going to try the Gov on the TotalG this weekend if I get out.
Andrew I'm going to try and set up the total g this weekend. Did you have any issues putting it on the gyro tray it's a little big for it and do you have any setting suggestions.
gso125 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I mounted it on the gyro tray. Only use one piece of foam tape (not two like the manual states it is a mistake in the manual).
I mounted it with the wires facing out the back which means I had to cut little slots in my frames to get the velcro strap around the unit (left to right). My friend has it mounted sideways with wires facing out the side so he can put the velcro strap on (front to back) without cutting his frames.
Set your FC Gain to GView. Do not run FC Gain off your transmitter, it makes the unit do funny things and should be fixed in the next update.

That's all I have at this point. I am sure I will slowly learn too
Old 11-10-2010, 07:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use Hobbywings on both my Atoms (500 and 6HV). They have been pretty much bullet-proof. The only other ESC brand I've ever owned that didn't cook on me at some point is the Align 35X on my 450, so the HW's are quite impressive in my book in that theuy have out-lasted any of the other ones I've ever used. I've had the one on my Atom for well over a year now and it's still kicking butt, so I'd say you can't go wrong with it.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworx View Post
I use Hobbywings on both my Atoms (500 and 6HV). They have been pretty much bullet-proof. The only other ESC brand I've ever owned that didn't cook on me at some point is the Align 35X on my 450, so the HW's are quite impressive in my book in that theuy have out-lasted any of the other ones I've ever used. I've had the one on my Atom for well over a year now and it's still kicking butt, so I'd say you can't go wrong with it.
I'm 1-for-2 with HW ESCs. The one on my Atom 500 smoked when I powered up in preparation for the second-ever flight on the heli.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 11-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah, that's usually the case. If it does go out on you, it'll fry right away (like I said, same thing happens to just about any ESC on the market), but if it lasts for the first 10 or so flights, they're usually good to go for a long time. They will be covered under warranty if that is the case though, which is very similar to how Castle Creations does it with theirs, but I hear more about CC failures than HW nowadays anyhow. I believe they are a very good choice and have worked very well overall with no reason to swap out anytime soon. If I did, the only thing I would get would be a Kontronik.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworx View Post
Yeah, that's usually the case. If it does go out on you, it'll fry right away (like I said, same thing happens to just about any ESC on the market), but if it lasts for the first 10 or so flights, they're usually good to go for a long time. They will be covered under warranty if that is the case though, which is very similar to how Castle Creations does it with theirs.
I did get a warranty replacement, but in the meantime I had already bought a new ESC (Scorpion), which was pretty soon replaced with a CC ICE 100. Say what you will about CC's governor (usually in the context of comparing it against a Kontronik), but it's 1000 times better than Scorpion's.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 11-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nah, I don't really do the governor stuff myself. I have used the CC on my smaller helis and it was ok, but I prefer fixed endpoints. My main reason for wanting the Knotroniks is there's no hassle, no guessing, and barely any setup whatsoever. It just makes it worth the expense. CC has come a long way in the last couple years and they are very good for the price you pay. It just becomes a "Go big or go home" kind of situation.

The HW has been a good hold-over until I can afford the Kon, and it performs well enough not to be replaced right away with a CC. I think it would be a smart move (for the OP) to use the HW until either you can get a "better" ESC or keep it around as a back-up. That was mostly what I was trying to say without being too pushy!
Old 11-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonseize View Post
"Do they have any Black Friday sales"

I'd say give Mike @ Nankin a call. He may make a deal for ya. Def. the shop to go with, I did before my affiliation, that's how I became affiliated.
im just gunna wait till black friday just seems like begging to me if i go and e-mail Mike looking for a deal. I feel alittle uncomfortable asking........ hoping to get a black friday deal with blades,ESC, and motor for $480 if they do a crazy 20% off like some online store on Blackfriday or better so will see what happens
Old 11-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnTi Taco View Post
im just gunna wait till black friday just seems like begging to me if i go and e-mail Mike looking for a deal. I feel alittle uncomfortable asking........ hoping to get a black friday deal with blades,ESC, and motor for $480 if they do a crazy 20% off like some online store on Blackfriday or better so will see what happens
Mike won't bite your head off. The worst that could happen is that he could say "no" or wouldn't be able to give you much of a price break. In the few exchanges I've had with Mike, he seems to be a really nice guy.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 11-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

At Alan's recommendation, I have been using the WR Hercules in my 6HV. I agree with him in that this is an excellent unit (I have upgraded my other two large, electric helicopters to this unit as well).

I have had excellent results from the stock ESC's in both the 6HV and the Atom. If I could change one thing, it would be to make the soft start a bit softer, otherwise no issues.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
If I could change one thing, it would be to make the soft start a bit softer, otherwise no issues.
+1. Even the overall soft-start process isn't that bad, it's just that sudden jerk at the beginning.
Graupner MZ-32

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in