Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Spektrum dx6i beginner setting for Blade 120 SR

Hi all,
Very new to this hobby and my Blade 120 SR and dx6i radio are on the way to the house.....I am sure it is listed in this forum somewhere.....but can't seem to find it. Can one of you guys give me the settings on the dx6i for the 120 SR for a beginner? Or maybe there is a tutorial video out there somewhere?? Any help is appreciated....

NEVERMIND.....found Heli Bones posting for setting......thanks anyway !!!!!!

Last edited by Ikeman01; 01-05-2012 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: Found what i was looking for
Ikeman01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I asked this question a while back when I first got my spektrum. I would recommend this book http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/index.html. It gives good advice about your heli in general and has some recommended set ups for you radio. Also, you can use the searc box and just put dx6i settings and then look at the ones in the 120sr forum. Hope this helps..
racklo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

There's a lot of good information in the e-book racklo recommends. Even though it's only a download, it's still worth the few bucks it costs

As to setup, there really isn't too much required for the 120 SR. Just be sure to set it up as 'HELI' so you have access to the Throttle Hold function. For a beginner, the only thing you need to worry about is getting it trimmed properly so it remains relatively stationary with minimal stick inputs.

Until you get the hang of the 120 SR, don't try to 'fly' it. While some people can fly an R/C helicopter with no training, the vast majority can't. What you need to accompllish as a novice is to control the movements of the helicopter, rather than react to them.

Give it enough throttle to get the helicopter between knee- and waist-high to get it out of ground effects, keep the tail pointed at you, and practice hovering until you are comfortable doing it.

Most important of all? Have fun!

Don
Digital Don is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikeman01 View Post
Hi all,
Very new to this hobby and my Blade 120 SR and dx6i radio are on the way to the house.....I am sure it is listed in this forum somewhere.....but can't seem to find it. Can one of you guys give me the settings on the dx6i for the 120 SR for a beginner? Or maybe there is a tutorial video out there somewhere?? Any help is appreciated....

NEVERMIND.....found Heli Bones posting for setting......thanks anyway !!!!!!
Can you point me to that posting? I'm also new and have 120SR + DX6i.
Thanks
DaiCa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Don View Post
As to setup, there really isn't too much required for the 120 SR. Just be sure to set it up as 'HELI' so you have access to the Throttle Hold function.
Hey Don - I was under the impression that for the 120SR it was 'best' to use the plane/acro set-up rather than 'heli', since the Blade's 5-in-1 board didn't benefit from any of the mixing that goes on in 'heli' mode(?)
Isn't "thottle hold" more (only?) useful for CP helis?

Loving the DX8 BTW
Nurburgringer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Hello

Create an aircraft in DX6i.
Do not set up as a helicopter this is important !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Set throttle trim all the way down to 0
All switches 0

Set DR and EXPO

Aile 75 5
Elev 75 5
Rudd 80 5

Bind helicopter to radio and fly.
This will give you a pretty tame helicopter for indoor flying.
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by racklo View Post
I asked this question a while back when I first got my spektrum. I would recommend this book http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/index.html. It gives good advice about your heli in general and has some recommended set ups for you radio. Also, you can use the searc box and just put dx6i settings and then look at the ones in the 120sr forum. Hope this helps..
I support racklo post, I just downloaded the e-book and wow, what a difference in controlling the 120sr,REALLY worth every penny of it.
Windmanquebec is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

"Even though it's only a download, it's still worth the few bucks it costs."

John Salt's e-book is the best possible investment a beginner could make.

It also prints out beautifully... which makes it much easier to underline or highlight parts to which you often refer. And printed double-sided, it probably only used about fifty cents worth of paper.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzzaudae View Post
Create an aircraft in DX6i.
Do not set up as a helicopter this is important !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can you please explain this, I can see absolutely no reason why not. I have set up with heli mode and it works perfectly, having TH available can only be a plus, all other settings are adjustable and no mixing is needed but TH is not just a plus but a good thing to learn if you ever plan on getting a CP heli, especially one of the micro's and is not available in aero/acro mode.

Pete
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Talking Hi again

The 5-1 board on the MSR and the 120SR are designed to fly in aircraft mode from the radio.
You can of course set it up as a helicopter and make setup more complicated for yourself
should you chose to do so. But why. This is a classic case of the kiss principle!

Just Save an aircraft in your DX6i Call it 120SR set the control settings like I suggested
and you will have a very nice flying helicopter. Adjust the control up or down to suite your flying experience or liking. If you want to mess with helicopter settings giver but it is not necessary.

Helicopter mode with throttle hold is nice, but I find beginners have there hands full just getting the helicopter off the ground and hovering. Adding TH seems to drive them into a state of over load. So in order to lower the work load and save the helicopter, I ask them to chop power via the throttle stick when they get into trouble.

Once people gain experience and are comfortable flying, it's not that big a deal to change to throttle hold shutdown when flying in ether regular or idle up mode while flying more advanced helicopters as you are basically learning how to fly all over again anyway. Just my preference Pete
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by petedee View Post
having TH available can only be a plus, all other settings are adjustable and no mixing is needed but TH is not just a plus but a good thing to learn if you ever plan on getting a CP heli, especially one of the micro's and is not available in aero/acro mode.

Pete
Pete - how/why do you use Thottle Hold with the 120SR?

Isn't TH only for CP helis that allow pitch changes for a set rotor RPM?
http://www.rcheliwiki.com/Throttle_hold

thanks!
Kurt
Old 02-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Isn't TH only for CP helis that allow pitch changes for a set rotor RPM?"

No. I always have throttle hold activated when I install the battery and move the helicopter. Even though the 120 SR probably wouldn't do too much damage, I don't want 'surprises' when I'm holding any helicopter.

As Imzzaudae mentions, it's probably easier to 'chop the throttle'. With a fixed pitch helicopter like the 120 SR that technique works fine and It's what I do if I get into trouble.

However as Nurburgringer says, when flying collective pitch helicopters, bringing the throttle stick to the lowest position results in negative pitch (in idle up mode) not reduced motor rpm. So if you plan to fly CP at some point, chopping the throttle might be a bad habit to get into.

Don
Digital Don is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got cocky and tried to early to play with my SR. This last time I was heading for trouble and might have "chopped the power". Only to hear a :whacking" sound while the heli was still in the air. Yep, got a nice ding on the boom. Chopping the power with a FP is not going to get you into more trouble. But I truly from my limited experience am fairly sure you are going to do more damage "Chopping the power" with a CP. So, I now have a bad habit I need to unlearn. One guy said in a post that he flies with his right index hooked around the Throttle Hold switch. I highly recommend that you break the habit of chopping the power before moving up to a CP.
HopSkipFlop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the explanation guys - what you say makes perfect sense, don't know why those points aren't mentioned in the couple sites (for beginners) I found that explaining TH!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzzaudae View Post
The 5-1 board on the MSR and the 120SR are designed to fly in aircraft mode from the radio.
You can of course set it up as a helicopter and make setup more complicated for yourself
should you chose to do so. But why. This is a classic case of the kiss principle!
As long as you have no mixing enabled the only extra thing you will get with heli mode is TH, its not that hard.

Using heli mode for Phoenix also works and lets you use IU from the Tx rather than from the keyboard, so much easier.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by petedee View Post
As long as you have no mixing enabled the only extra thing you will get with heli mode is TH, its not that hard.

Using heli mode for Phoenix also works and lets you use IU from the Tx rather than from the keyboard, so much easier.
You also get throttle curve, and from my experience that's something that can help dramatically with a newbie's ability to hover.
Dodge DeBoulet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 01:53 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay yes good point, I see only positives for using heli mode, this is all easy stuff to use or not.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ACRO mode and 120sr 'rate mode'

Hi - if I set he dx6i into ACRO mode how does the GYRO switch then get set to control the 5 in 1 lower servo rate mode? Does the FLAP setting do the same thing ? Cheers.
ilium007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Personally, I think Throttle Hold is huge. One of my biggest beefs with my stock txmitter was that any accidental movement of the throttle stick resulted in the heli blades spinning. Admittedly, my situation is a little different than most. When flying outside, I'm doing so from an electric scooter. I'm bending down from the scooter with more opportunities to bump throttle stick. Therefore, my chances of accidently hitting the throttle stick are probably greater than most, but I've also accidently hit the throttle just setting the txmitter down.

I also like the ability to adjust the throttle curve. As a newbie, I like a failry big range for medium throttle so I don't cause massive throttle changes when I make rudder adjustments. Also the more linear the curve, the more I feel I'm adjusting throttle just to correct for previous exaggerated throttle movements. I've got enough to do trying to adjust elevator, aileron, and rudder. I don't need to have to adjust the throttle for no reason other than to correct my errors.
crashjack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have followed rchelicopterfun's PDF guide which I purchased. Its just that I hear so many people saying to fly on ACRO mode only ? So many mixed messages for the beginer !
ilium007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in