Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > MSH Brain FBL Unit

MSH Brain FBL Unit MSH Brain Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default how to upload old firmware

I recently updated my ikon with the new firmware and since then I just can't get the tail and governor to work well together. My 7hv was flying perfect on the old firmware, I was just curious what the new updates were like. I'm also not able to tune with my android app anymore. Is there a way to go back to the older firmware?
quinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2015, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can you explain the issues in more detail? I have the exact opposite experience.
The old firmware is no longer on the server.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2015, 08:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Since updating, gov gain seems way low. Ive been trying more feed forward, and higher gain, but it never seems to quite get there. It just feels like the feed forward isn't doing its job anymore. With the old firmware, it was obvious when you found the right feed forward and gain. It would let you know if it was too high. Governor still seems to lag when giving collective at lower headspeeds. When I give collective, it drops rpm for a second and the tail let's go and kicks out as the gov finally catches back up. I've also been tuning the tail to try to help. Like I said, all was working great before the update. Also spool up is quite a bit slower at the highest setting. Part of the problem is I have to make changes at home on the computer and drive to the field. I didn't realize I would have to re tune the gov and tail. I also didn't realize I wouldn't be able to use my android app to tune anymore. Had I known these things, I wouldn't have updated. So no way to get it back?

I should also add that I've tried raising pitch gain all the way to 17 and it still doesn't feel aggressive like it did before at around 12. Is the scaling just different now? Should I keep raising it? And just to be clear, its not a problem with power. I'm running a scorpion 4530 and it pulled like crazy the last flight before the update.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeeeeeaaahhhhh, you got to way higher than that. I've got
30 for pitch
20 for cyclic
5 tail on mine

On my trex 700e

Pre-new firmware my comps were 11, 9, 1. I did try to fly it like that with new firmware, but tail was blowing out left and right..
Old 03-04-2015, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

So the issue is primarily at lower head speeds?

The collective feed forward has had a major overhaul. And in fact it was very ineffective prior to this release. Funny that you say you liked it. :-)

Now the collective feed forward tends to be MUCH higher. Values of 30-50 are typical. As I noted in the original firmware update thread.

The Android update is almost here. But if you are careful you can use the old app. If just adjust gov values it works ok.

Sounds like you also need to increase the tail pitch precomp as well. After optimizing gain, a value of 70 or so is not uncommon.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks! All makes sense now. It really felt like the feed forward wasn't doing anything. I'll jack it up tomorrow and try it. For me, in the previous version the feed forward definitely did its job, it just did it too well in some situations. When bringing the stick from positive or negative to neutral, it would lower power no matter what the headspeed was at. At certain values it could cause a chain reaction in moves like tic tocs bringing the headspeed further and further down each time the stick passed through neutral. Maybe the new version helps with this?

And yes, mostly a problem at the lower speeds. I'm geared to be optimized around 2100 to 2200 but I like to be able to drop to 1950. I was getting pretty good results in this wide range with the previous firmware. Hopefully raising feed forward does the trick without ill effects at the higher speeds. I always thought it would have been nice to have the ability to have independent gov settings on different banks, or even better yet, tied to the different headspeeds so you could still use the banks for other things. Hopefully its just not needed and I can find good settings for a wide range.

So what about the gov pid gains? Are they gonna tend to be higher than before as well? Also where is this thread where you went over the updates?

Never mind, I found it. I'll look it over.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm running the same 55/40/60 PID I was running with the old firmware. I'm running 1950 on my electric.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did some tuning today and it feels much better. Went all the way up to 60 on pitch gain and it feels pretty good. Tail feels much better now without the headspeed lag. Also my android app seems to work fine.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinn View Post
Did some tuning today and it feels much better. Went all the way up to 60 on pitch gain and it feels pretty good. Tail feels much better now without the headspeed lag. Also my android app seems to work fine.
Great. Just don't touch cyclic rates in the app. And make sure you thoroughly preflight after using the app.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome.
Glad to see you got it going your way..
On the old version I had to run my soft start initial spoolup at minimum value settings to maintain a nice smooth consistent spool up rate.
On the new firmware I had to adjust the Spoolup and Ramp up values a little bit though.

It is nice to be able to fine tune the spoolup and headspeed changes more precisely as it is now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
JETI USA
www.MSHUSA.com, www.MSheli.com
mamartin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in