Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Stretch 450

I will be keeping one of my 450s normal, one 4-blade and am considering stretching the third.

Any HFers stretch a 450? What did you end up stretcing to:

Kit? If so what kit?

Main Blade:
Tail blades:
Belt or TT:
Boom:
Motor:
ESC:
Batteries:
Comments:

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A post a few threads down talks about stretching a Gaui 425:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=276212&page=3
crashmore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not sure how big you can stretch a 450, (the gaui 425 is a much larger heli-500 size using Align #'s). They used to make an 'XL' from Align, but it actually the same size as the V2... The hardware on a 450 is just so small. Unless you consider a scale raised-tail conversion(for something like a Huey) 'stretched'.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

500 clone kits are probably cheaper than trying to stretch out a 450.
gothicbunny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

It depends on what I'd need to buy. Is the 500 boom tube the same diameter as the 450 tube? My thought is, can I get away with replacing the tail boom and belt aft (keep the 450 tail assembly block, put 500 tail blades on it) of the boom block with 500 parts (use the 450's boom block), and put 430 mm main blades and a 340 mm flybar on it, without any other mods? If so, I just priced it out to less than $75...

Last edited by Pretorian435; 02-02-2011 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: Added EDIT comments
Pretorian435 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 450 stuff is tiny next to every larger size heli. Align 335 blades are about it. There are a few oddball helis between 450's and 500's, but you pretty much are going to need another bird. If that's the case, I would probably skip the 500's altogether and go to 550mm blade heli.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

My HF Map location

The problem with bigger blades are they are also thicker. You will need to use the 500 head, which will require a bigger diameter main shaft. Unless you get a custom made boom and belt the 500 boom is going to be too big for a 450 as well. A 30% increase in blade length is going to require a much more powerful motor and higher torque cyclics. About the only thing you will be able to keep the same stretching a 450 is the gyro.
gothicbunny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can use the Outrage G5 Boom, belt and tail control rod and run up to 360mm blades. This would really be the limit for stretching your 450. Anything more would just not make sense. The 6s setup is supposed to be real nice with the stretch.
Mr Nice Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Yeah... I was trying to fudge a heli up towards at least a 500 while I wait to bite on a 600, which will be my next heli. Though recently I have been intrigued by the 550. Right now I don't need another heli, I need better skills flying the ones I have.

I wondered if I would need a bigger head to accomodate a bigger blade, it seemed too easy. That does push it up towards a new kit.

Niceguy, I saw references to using the Outrage G5 Boom kit. I assume its the same diameter as the 450 boom? I would just replace the boom and belt, new blades up to 340's, and that would be it? Do I need to increase the tail blade size? (LOL, I still can't let go of the idea of a mod to a bigger heli, even incrementally)!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Boom diameter is very close. You may have to put a little tape on it so that it won't slip. Yes, you just need the boom, belt, tail control rod and you can run up to 360s. The normal 450 sized tail blades will work but I would go with the longer ones made for the 450 pro. I use these on my non-stretched 450se now. With the longer blades you can run a lower head speed and still have good pop. They will also make the heli more stable. I would not even try to stretch the 450 frame to use 430mm blades. If you could mod it enough to make it actually take those blades it would most likely fly terribly. That airframe, electronics, etc just wouldn't be able to swing that size blade. There is a huge difference in size between a 325mm blade a 430mm blade.
Mr Nice Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...hlight=stretch

I would say that a longer boom than the G5 is preferable, and with TT that is no problem. I will go for the Infinity boom next time.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a T-Rex 450V2 stretched with the Outrage boom/belt running RT350's and on 6S 1300. The heli flies much more stable, but i'm still not impressed with my flight time, or honestly, my power. Not sure what is going on, but something is not right with my setup. I'm still getting around 4min max.. still need to dial some things in, but i'm not sure this was worth the expense yet. I forget what my headspeed is, but it is lower than with my 3S setup.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Get a Outrage G5 boom and belt to stretch to 350mm
RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in