Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Castle Creations ESC and Software

Castle Creations ESC and Software Castle Creations ESC Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default HV110 - Whats best, Gov or Set Speed?

Hi all,

just wondering if I want to obtain & keep to a certain head speed is it best to use the gov setting or the set speed setting?

How do they both behave under load & is the gov more intelligent than just setting a speed to hit?

What are the pro/cons of each, which is more accurate & consistent?

I wont be doing any 3d or sports flying - its for a 600 camera ship.

Many thanks.
FLYN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Set RPM is a function of the governor. It just allows you to pick the RPM you want and then tells you what throttle curve % to use and then the ESC will maintain that RPM. To use this mode, you MUST have all of the information available for your motor, pole count, kv, gear ratio.
With the fixed endpoint method, you are doing the RPM calculation based on where you run your throttle curve.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcordell View Post
...With the fixed endpoint method, you are doing the RPM calculation based on where you run your throttle curve.
I have never really understood how this works, how you set the speed ??? you want only to use curves

Isn't it the same as using curves in the transmitter as done without governor? Sorry but there is something I do not understand
Mateyhv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 12:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Without the governor function, whatever throttle curve you set in your transmitter, the head speed will be proportional to the battery voltage. Thus, as battery voltage decreases thoughtful the flight, so will the head speed decrease. On the other hand, the governor will maintain a constant head speed (up to a point) regardless of decreasing battery voltage.
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

How does this differ from the Set Speed option, is it a different way of doing the same thing as Gov, or is it something else?

I know in set speed you can set your throttle anywhere between 0-50 for setting 1, 51-99 for setting 2 & +100 for setting 3 & the ESC will stick to the set speed. But in Gov mode you have approximate throttle percentages to set as a flat throttle curve on each flight mode setting, say 36, 57.5 & 68 to obtain the different desired head speeds.

So in an attempt to answer my own question, does the Gov mode offer greater flexibility in changing HS by just dialling your flat curve up or down a little to fine tune over the set speed where you're stuck with what you told it to do?

What are the pros & cons?

I've put all my motor details into the ESC & have it set to Gov High & am aiming at 1700-1800 rpm for AP, which of the the mentioned settings would be best?
FLYN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 10:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYN View Post
How does this differ from the Set Speed option, is it a different way of doing the same thing as Gov, or is it something else?

I know in set speed you can set your throttle anywhere between 0-50 for setting 1, 51-99 for setting 2 & +100 for setting 3 & the ESC will stick to the set speed. But in Gov mode you have approximate throttle percentages to set as a flat throttle curve on each flight mode setting, say 36, 57.5 & 68 to obtain the different desired head speeds.

So in an attempt to answer my own question, does the Gov mode offer greater flexibility in changing HS by just dialling your flat curve up or down a little to fine tune over the set speed where you're stuck with what you told it to do?

What are the pros & cons?

I've put all my motor details into the ESC & have it set to Gov High & am aiming at 1700-1800 rpm for AP, which of the the mentioned settings would be best?
The "Set Speed" option is one of the options for Governor Mode. If you are using "Set Speed", you are using Governor Mode.

Again, the hole point of using Governor Mode is to electronically maintain the same head speed throughout the collective range.

Most pilots seem to recommend using 30% for the 1%-50% range, 70% for the 51%-99% range, and 100% for 100%. When using "Set Speed" type of governor mode, the Throttle Curves in your transmitter should be set flat, for instance, N Flight Mode 30-30-30-30-30%, IDLE 1 70-70-70-70-70%, IDLE 2 100-100-100-100-100%. If you do not like that order, you can also set N Flight Mode 100-100-100-100-100, IDLE 1 70-70-70-70-70, IDLE 2 30-30-30-30-30, or any other order you wish. You can also assign any one of these Flight Modes, usually N Flight Mode, a 0-0-0-0-0 curve as an added safety to Throttle Hold or for arming purposes when using Autorotation bailout feature where Throttle Hold will be set to a value higher than 0%.

There are, of course, variations to these traditional numbers. Some pilots like using N Flight Mode 0-30-30-30-30 to allow for ESC arming but still allow use of N Flight Mode for actual Flying. Just don't go below 1/4 Throttle stick unless you are prepared to autorotate. Another option, specially when having "Autorotation" bailout box checked, is to have N Flight Mode 0-0-0-0-0, IDLE 1 30-30-30-30-30, IDLE 2 70-70-70-70-70, and not use the "Set Speed" assigned to 100%. Or use N Flight Mode 0-0-0-0-0, IDLE 1 70-70-70-70-70, IDLE 2 100-100-100-100-100, and not use the Set Speed assigned to 30%.

If you feel like you want to just have the option to have three separate head speeds, but only feel comfortable using one of the head speeds, i.e. whatever head speed you assigned to the 1-49% range, you can have all three Flight Modes (N, IDLE 1, IDLE 2) set flat to 30%.

For ESC arming purposes, you will need a 0% somewhere, whether it be Throttle Hold, N, IDLE 1, or IDLE 2.
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

WOWWW, thanks John for that load of information, just wonder why it isn't explained this way in the CC manuals, especially the different flight mode configurations. (Edit: In fact it is explained here: http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...ernor_mode.pdf)

I would be grateful if you could take a tour to the Trex500 forum, I just posted some problems I have found with an ICE 100 there, regarding performance and throttle calibration. Thanks

Last edited by Mateyhv; 02-01-2012 at 01:14 PM..
Mateyhv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in