Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Avant RC - Mostro & Aurora

Avant RC - Mostro & Aurora Avant Mostro, Aurora, Electric eAurora, RigidCore Flybarless Head, Avant EFX and Avant FX Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2016, 07:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Avant Aurora electric help

Hi All,
Not sure if any of you still fly your Auroras, i do mine. I have two nitros and one electric. The Nitros run flawlessly! Head speed tracking and response are great. I fly them both with an ikon fbl unit and a cgy750 unit.
A couple of months ago i finally was able to piece together the components for an electric Aurora. And since day one i've been having tracking issues. I replaced all shafts and bearings, spindle and even head grip arms.
I have followed instructions for linkage settings and all, swashplate was leveled correctly and links adjusted accordingly per instructions. Pitch range gave me +12.5 / -12.1 and cyclic was set at 10.5 / 10.1 so I thought it was quite in range. I calibrated both blades to the pitch settings.
Now when i took of yesterday, i had the blades completely out of track, and i mean like at least a half inch spread visibly. The whole heli vibrated.
I made good progress with the tracking to the point it was slightly off track but it was flyable.
After a few seconds, the whole helo started wobbling. Not sure if a tracking related or not but it would come on and off. This was just hovering, in haven't attempted fast forward flight.
Has anyone experienced same issues? Maybe i have my swash gain too high?
I Hope anyone could give me their insight on this issue.

Thanks in advance
Enrico

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
enrico is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2016, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Damper

Check your dampers and your thrust bearing stack
Old 07-28-2016, 09:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Do you think that would be the cause? The bearings are brand new. The dampers, not sure how to get them off. Suggestions?
What it does is it basically sits flying in a hover, perfectly still and slowly starts developing as wobble, It's like if you take a spinning wheel with weights that slowly start getting out of place. At first the wheel spins perfectly fine and then starts wobbling progressively.
Thanks for the advice though, will try to find a way to get the dampers off.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wiggle the head in all directions and see if there is any slop.

Mine has none, so this does not happen. The one heli I had this happen on, a linkage had gone past the ball. (So there was about 1/32 inch of slop there... That is enough to throw a blade way off under load, but pass your tracking setup. (Weight of blades keeps you from feeling / noticing it.)

That's all I can figure. Slop, coming from somewhere, likely on one side only.
gunny_jeeves is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Once you've checked the dampeners and thrust bearings, try changing the blades if you haven't already tried that.

I had a similar issue a last season and it ended up being a bad set of blades.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys for the advice.I ended swapping heads with blades and all from my perfectly find flying nitro to the electric and from the electric to the nitro.
Found out that it may be the dampers as the nitro head flew great on the electric. I tried the electric head on the nitro and although not perfect it did fly fine.
So now I need to figure out how to get out the dampers to switch the o rings. was thinking of using an arbor press to accomplish it, just haven't tried it yet.
Any suggestions?
Old 09-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

I finally sorted out all of the kinks and thing out of my Aurora E and it flew beautifully! Setup for a 1850 head speed and with precision hovering I managed an 8 minute flight. Batteries are 2 6s 4500 lipos. haven't charged them back yet but I am estimating about 2200 mah will go back in. AFter the 8 min, batteries came down barely warm.
The machine: oh wow! rock solid steady even with 16 mph gusts! I was able to practice my 4 point hovering, pyo hovering CW and CCW, tail in 8s and nose in 8s a few lazy 8s. I love doing the compass hovering too! go out to each cardinal point and come back to center by always pointing the nose when coming towards you and the tail when going away. Maybe I'll try the other way around next time.
My only concern is lubrication. with the nitro you don't have to worry about it, is already too messy to try to think about lubing. But the electric ... I have triflow lubricant but it seems to go away and splat all over the place. suggestions?

Thanks
Enrico

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in