Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Co-pilotII + gyro + gov

Hey all,
I just got my Co-pilot II the other day I am putting it in a Trex 600 NSP.
I have a DX7 controler with an AR7000 recv.
I run a spartan ds-760 gyro and an align RCE-6600 Gov.
I am trying to figure out how this thing is going to be set up. On my spartan ds760 gyro, i have the servo (Yellow+brown+red wire with black connector) pluged into the rudder channel and the (red plug wich controls gain) into my gear channel. Currently My gear channel is +40 to AVCS mode and -45 for rate mode (Keep in mind i never fly rate mode and i have normal/stunt 1/ stunt 2 and use them) I have my Gov plugged into AUX2 and (Aux2 turns my Gov on/off). Now let me get this straight I have 3 servo CCPM so it should look like this SVO1=aleron, SVO2=elevator, SVO3=AUX1< this is my 2nd aleron servo SVO4=Red gyro gain plug. If that is correct then is this as well? From Co-Pilot to recv; RCV1=aleron, RCV2=elevator, RCV3=Aux1, RCV4=not connected to recv and gain will be set in Co-pilot, finally On/Off =Gear. If that is correct what do I program in the gear channel as far as values go, they are currently +40 and -45 as i use the gear channel for my gyro gain. How do I make it turn the Co-pilot on and off basically? or do I leave the numbers as is, and configure with the box I got?
My final question on setting gyro gain with the Co-Pilot is this a shared gain IE Co-piot sensitivity gain effects gyro gain, or is it a dedicated gain for the gyro one dosn't effect the other?
I appologize for the length of this post but i want to be sure I have this right.

Thanks Ron
ronn1234 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok ..I'll try to break this down in pieces,

Hey all,
I just got my Co-pilot II the other day I am putting it in a Trex 600 NSP.
I have a DX7 controler with an AR7000 recv.
I run a spartan ds-760 gyro and an align RCE-6600 Gov.
I am trying to figure out how this thing is going to be set up. On my spartan ds760 gyro, i have the servo (Yellow+brown+red wire with black connector) pluged into the rudder channel and the (red plug wich controls gain) into my gear channel. Currently My gear channel is +40 to AVCS mode and -45 for rate mode (Keep in mind i never fly rate mode and i have normal/stunt 1/ stunt 2 and use them) I have my Gov plugged into AUX2 and (Aux2 turns my Gov on/off). Now let me get this straight I have 3 servo CCPM so it should look like this SVO1=aleron, SVO2=elevator, SVO3=AUX1< this is my 2nd aleron servo SVO4=Red gyro gain plug. If that is correct then is this as well? From Co-Pilot to recv; RCV1=aleron, RCV2=elevator, RCV3=Aux1, RCV4=not connected to recv and gain will be set in Co-pilot, finally On/Off =Gear. If that is correct what do I program in the gear channel as far as values go, they are currently +40 and -45 as i use the gear channel for my gyro gain. How do I make it turn the Co-pilot on and off basically? or do I leave the numbers as is, and configure with the box I got?

Your cyclic connections are correct, along with your gyro hook up (make sure the black leasds are facing up towards the label of the CPII)

As to the gyro gain value you can only input 1 value when programming the SVO4 option ( which in your case will be HH mode ) in quick setup.
The actual value you'll need... in your case start with 34% and work from there, in crease or decrease the value until the tail holds the way you like it

Now to turn the system on and off, set the travel adjust on your gear channel to +100 / -100 on your Tx.
When you do the quick setup it will ask if you want to assign a switch and what function you want it to do, in your case it will be the gear switch, 2 position, Off and On to level flight. Unless you wish to set it up for inverted flight mode.

My final question on setting gyro gain with the Co-Pilot is this a shared gain IE Co-piot sensitivity gain effects gyro gain, or is it a dedicated gain for the gyro one dosn't effect the other?
I appologize for the length of this post but i want to be sure I have this right.

The gyro gain is a fixed value and will remain constant no matter if the CPII is on or off or what controlling gains you set up.
Thanks Ron[/QUOTE]

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

NIghtflyr,

Thank you very much for the detailed breakdown that is exacly what I needed. Just want to make sure you noted that the RCV4 will NOT be plugged into the reciver.
I am very nervous about this. My buddy has one at the flying field on a trex 450 "I didn't even know they made these things. He demenstrated it to me and I had to have it. Kinda like a fish needs water . I was putting it on and I am short and currently waiting on 1 more servo ext. (thought the lead for the IR senser was longer) no biggy but it has given me allot more time to do more reading. Somtimes the more I read the more confused I get . Anyways thanks again for the very very rapid response.

Thanks a ton
Ron
Old 04-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn1234 View Post
NIghtflyr,

Thank you very much for the detailed breakdown that is exacly what I needed. Just want to make sure you noted that the RCV4 will NOT be plugged into the reciver.
I am very nervous about this. My buddy has one at the flying field on a trex 450 "I didn't even know they made these things. He demenstrated it to me and I had to have it. Kinda like a fish needs water . I was putting it on and I am short and currently waiting on 1 more servo ext. (thought the lead for the IR senser was longer) no biggy but it has given me allot more time to do more reading. Somtimes the more I read the more confused I get . Anyways thanks again for the very very rapid response.

Thanks a ton
Ron
RCV4 output is left off the Rx just coil it up and strap it down.
No need to be nervous, you'll be surprised on how it work, just bear in mind that it is very possible that the helicopter may drift in a direction and will need to be adjusted by flight angles, or if you want to be lazy like me just give the main sensor a bend and twist to correct for the drift.

But keep this in mind..the CPII will not fly your bird, it will only assist you

Old 04-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool I just wanted to be 100% sure on that. I am aware of the potental drift. I just rebuilt from a nose in hover crash, where i was piroetting to the left and i got to swaying the bird left and right then freaked out and the bird fell to it's side. with this i could have just fliped a switch and let go of the right stick applied power and would have save 200 bucks. LOL I want to fly the bird just want a bit of a saftey net.

Let me throw this at you: If you are in a stable hover say 6-8 ft off the ground will this system be able to recover level flight. let me put it better 6-8ft hover then the oh sh** happens let go hit the power will it recover
Old 04-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Cool I just wanted to be 100% sure on that. I am aware of the potental drift. I just rebuilt from a nose in hover crash, where i was piroetting to the left and i got to swaying the bird left and right then freaked out and the bird fell to it's side. with this i could have just fliped a switch and let go of the right stick applied power and would have save 200 bucks. LOL I want to fly the bird just want a bit of a saftey net.

Let me throw this at you: If you are in a stable hover say 6-8 ft off the ground will this system be able to recover level flight. let me put it better 6-8ft hover then the oh sh** happens let go hit the power will it recover
I'm a bit confused here...... if your in a stable hover, what do you expect the CPII to recover to?

If your asking, if your practicing nose in or such, I would be a bit higher than 6 - 8 feet up,

when you have the system on it will try to maintain your helicopter in a level attitude, emergency recovery ( If you have it setup ) will occur if your in a extreme angle and release the sticks.
The helicopter will then snap back to level attitude BUT will continue to move in the direction it was last moving in.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok, what I ment is your in a stable hover and that oh crap time happens where you give just a bit to much stick one way then you correct the other way (left right pentulam of death) the all the sudden the bird is on it's slide of death know what i mean? So with this to get out of the pendiulam of death let go of the right stick apply power (yes i under stand the bird will still be moving the last direction headed) but will the system react IE level fast enough.

What happened in my crash was i was in a nose in hover bout 15 feet up I started turning the nose counter clockwise to transition to FF and the disc dipped to my right as i was turning so i applied left aleron but i applied to much so then i applied right and over corrected to the right so i applied left by this time i was completely freaked made one last right correction and the bird fell to the ground on it's side. I know this sounds like it took a long time 10 secs and it may have been but it felt like .001 seconds. With the Co-pilot I am thinking (because i knew exactly when i was in trouble) i could have let go and the rocking would have been eliminated.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

[QUOTE=ronn1234;1989765]ok, what I ment is your in a stable hover and that oh crap time happens where you give just a bit to much stick one way then you correct the other way (left right pentulam of death) the all the sudden the bird is on it's slide of death know what i mean? So with this to get out of the pendiulam of death let go of the right stick apply power (yes i under stand the bird will still be moving the last direction headed) but will the system react IE level fast enough.

With using minor stick inputs , and depending on what gain & stick settings you set up in the CPII, all you would need to do is release the cyclic and the heli will settle back to level

What happened in my crash was i was in a nose in hover bout 15 feet up I started turning the nose counter clockwise to transition to FF and the disc dipped to my right as i was turning so i applied left aleron but i applied to much so then i applied right and over corrected to the right so i applied left by this time i was completely freaked made one last right correction and the bird fell to the ground on it's side. I know this sounds like it took a long time 10 secs and it may have been but it felt like .001 seconds. With the Co-pilot I am thinking (because i knew exactly when i was in trouble) i could have let go and the rocking would have been eliminated

First thing is to answer your question ..yes

Second thing you'll need to get an understanding of, If you get into a situation where your losing control and your that close to mother earth.....

release the cyclic and add power, altitude is your friend, it will give you the time to regain control of your bird

Old 04-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool that is what my friend said hit the switch and apply power.
Do you know what kind of true reaction time the system needs/has to be able to react. Lets use hypothetical situation Co-Pilot is Off your in a hover say 20 ft up and put the heli on it's side say at a 45 degrees for argument sake all of this is intentionally (now for the pretend part (omg my heli is on it's side) I turn the Co-Pilot on it levels the head, once it levels I apply power. what would the estimated altitude loss be.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Cool that is what my friend said hit the switch and apply power.
Do you know what kind of true reaction time the system needs/has to be able to react. Lets use hypothetical situation Co-Pilot is Off your in a hover say 20 ft up and put the heli on it's side say at a 45 degrees for argument sake all of this is intentionally (now for the pretend part (omg my heli is on it's side) I turn the Co-Pilot on it levels the head, once it levels I apply power. what would the estimated altitude loss be.
There are a few video's showing exactly what you are asking, depending on your reaction time and how you set up the CPII, you may lose as little as 2 -3 feet in altitude or as much as 10.
There are many variables to consider..

But one thing you need to know being your on a nitro...pay close attention to where you mount the sensors.
You need to keep them as far away for the engine heat and exhaust as possible

Old 04-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was going to put the main sensor on the horz stab fin as in the instr. the vertical senser was going to be placed on the tail boom about 2 in. aft of the main gear box on the opisite side of the muffler. The IR senser will be on the frame on the oppisite side of the muffler as well. How will i be able to tell if these locations are not of sufficant distance. How will the co-pilot react?

Thanks again
Old 04-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I was going to put the main sensor on the horz stab fin as in the instr. the vertical senser was going to be placed on the tail boom about 2 in. aft of the main gear box on the opisite side of the muffler. The IR senser will be on the frame on the oppisite side of the muffler as well. How will i be able to tell if these locations are not of sufficant distance. How will the co-pilot react?

Thanks again
the sensors will try to move opposite of the heat source, so if the muffler in on the left side of the heli and it want to take off to the right QUICKLY. you know it is seeing heat

Old 05-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

my gyro has conectors one single wire and the regular one .
with a ar7000 how do i install the gyro to the cpII
lowformat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in