Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Life span of a heli

So I just got a mCPx and I have a question. What is the life span of a model? I saw that they put it in the discounted bin. And I am planning on getting into more helis like a 130x or 300x but i do not like the idea of just buying new models every year.
lynxstrife is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Usually the way it works is a model will be around for 18 months or so give or take 6. Then when there's an update, if a part doesn't need to be changed, it isn't. So parts from your old model may be spares for the new model. For example if blade were to release a new 400 size, they probably wouldn't change the landing skids or main shaft because those parts are solid. You could redesign every other part and still make use of the old main shaft and skids. Other parts might include booms, boom supports, pitch links, etc.

However ultimately this hobby is like any other, things lose value as they become older designs/tech and the cadence is really fast. But just because a v2 comes out doesn't make your v1 fly any worse.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yah I see what you are saying. So if I stay with my mcpx I could use some parts from the BL version. Like blade grips blades ect . Guess its just like cars and trucks new models are just last years with different headlights.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the larger helis (500+) have longer lifespans and more precisely made parts. Many 700 size birds on here seem to be still going on 2+ years easy.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I dont think I am ready for a 700 yet lol. My poor mcpx is filling a restraining order on me for abuse. That little Heli can sure take beating! What I am aiming for is a Heli that has a collective tail ( I think that is what it is called.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My first heli was an msrx that lasted through 3 hours of newb crashing and still flew home.

My mcpx shortly after was a premature purchase and took a solid year of abuse and way too many upgrades before I got my indestructible ncpx.

The ncpx is a lot longer lasting and cheaper to run with similar disk loading. The mcpx though can rival a 130x... stick with it go slow and build wisely and your mcpx will always stay in the family.

I'm not lieing, skip the 130x. The mcpx built up is just as good. Go from mcpx to 450. I love my 130x but it isn't ever ever crashed... maybe a few times a year and it socks every time. It takes forever to dial in that tiny tiny torque tube collective tail if you even look at it funny it will fock you so hard.

I rebuild my tail every Saturday for $10 and never crash and my 130x is amazing but so is its rival bl mcpx.

Do not build for durability. It doesn't work. The stronger it is the harder it hits and then that harder impact is transfered to the next weakest part... it's an exercise in futility. Mcpx will take a beating though trust me lol! Selectively replace problematic parts and avoid any upgrades that don't fix actual problems you're experiencing. I wish somebody told me this when I built a $500 mcpx crash test dummy instead of just flying. Remember, if the plastic breaks the metal replacements will bend 4 life too...

My ncpx only has BL and metal swash weighing in 25.5g. If that tells you anything I learned from my $500 custom mcpx...

Once you go brushless there's very little "modding" out of problems.
tchilds is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The MSH Protos 500 has been around since 2008, and is still going strong. Still is sold as a Flybar'ed heli almost unchanged since its introduction. The Compass Atom 500 has been around for quite a while. I'd say most everything else has not lived as long.

For some reason we all seem to fall for the newly introduced model thinking it will make us fly better or something. Once it a while I go back and fire up my stock MCPX and find that it will fly almost anything I've learned on my helicopters costing 10 times as much. And it sure survives mistakes a lot better.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's called marketing. Either stay at the bottom (bl mcpx/hp08, stockish 130), get into fpv/night flying and quads, or go 450+ whatever you can afford all the way to the 160mph 700 if you can .

All the stuff in between is called fluff.
tchilds is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am looking at the 130X and the 300X, but first a dx6i radio , but that is far down the road. Till my mCPx is so worn and tired she is a smoldering ruin of her former self.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I love buying new helis

"i do not like the idea of just buying new models every year."

Maybe you need to see a doctor
Old 01-27-2014, 09:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisconn2 View Post
"i do not like the idea of just buying new models every year."

Maybe you need to see a doctor
I also don't like the idea of buying new models every YEAR! Who can wait a whole year???!!! I'm lucky if I can go 3 or 4 months!

Jim
Old 01-28-2014, 06:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

You guys are too funny! Well if my finaces line up I should have a good radio in a month or two.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclysma View Post
Usually the way it works is a model will be around for 18 months or so give or take 6.
It used to be far longer than this for HH, something like 7 years I heard. But I would agree that you cannot expect a lifespan of 7 years for the current crop of micro helis. For a start, there are many after market parts available. There is also the possibility of clone helis and parts from toy manufacturers. I would say the 130X is looking at bit risky at the moment, that is especially should be clone emerges.
zadaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I try not to worry about how long a manufacturer will produce any given model. If I see something I think is cool, and I have the money, I'm going to buy it. I (try to) base my purchases on general reliability and aftermarket support, and the coolness factor.

I generally don't buy anything new just because it's "new" (like standing in line fore the newest $800 iphone every 6 months). I buy it because I broke the old one, or I wanted another one. If my old one still works fine, and I'm still having fun with it, I don't see much point in spending more money.

Manufacturers are really good at creating hype around a "new" model, and get people to buy their new product because it's "new and improved" when that is rarely the actual case (hey look! A new paint job!). I guess I just don't have that kind of disposable income to do that. I'm much more utilitarian when buying my toys... (that's an oxymoron, lol...)

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yah I am hoping that the 130x and or 300x / CFX stays around for a while. I am thinking a larger heli for more staying power since the electronics seem more multi purpose then. By that i mean i should be able to use it in a diffrent heli/kit..i think
Old 02-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
Manufacturers are really good at creating hype around a "new" model, and get people to buy their new product because it's "new and improved" when that is rarely the actual case (hey look! A new paint job!). I guess I just don't have that kind of disposable income to do that. I'm much more utilitarian when buying my toys... (that's an oxymoron, lol...)
I like buying the latest and greatest sometimes... but I also really like HH's discount before discontinuation policy. Why pay full price when in a year or so they'll heavily discount new stock to premium used pricing?

I bought one 450x with bx for $220 shipped. Another for under $300 shipped with a bunch of extras. I'm liking that pricing. A new 500x for $461. They're all new to me.
xenophobe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I will have to look into that! I saw 130x with 3 extra barriers and some 'crash' parts on eBay for 249.99 shipped... hate to say it that beats my LHS.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxstrife View Post
I will have to look into that! I saw 130x with 3 extra barriers and some 'crash' parts on eBay for 249.99 shipped... hate to say it that beats my LHS.
Right now, 130x with extras are selling on the classifieds for about $130-$140. Heli stuff is selling cheap. Plenty of great deals showing up every day.
xenophobe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 06:10 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yah I will have to look around! I am planning on buying new since I know at least what condition it is. Just hoping tobsel my mcpx and fund that Heli.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxstrife View Post
Yah I will have to look around! I am planning on buying new since I know at least what condition it is. Just hoping tobsel my mcpx and fund that Heli.
What's your reason for wanting to ditch the mcpx? I don't have one myself but it's supposed to be a good entry level CP helo.
Aerial pics at http://foosyou.imgur.com
FoosYou is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in