Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default What would be your recommendation?

I'm toying with the idea of getting into videoing our rc sailboat races from the air. I was thinking that a "quad" copter with a GoPro camera. What would you folks reccomend as a stabile platform and a quality camera. I don't want to spend a ton of money though. I have a Futaba 7C radio, and a modest amount (very modest) of time flying a 450. The camera can be justified for filming my flights on the 450, the quad copter may be a hard sell with my CFO, AKA wife.
mmickels is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Use the search, this exact topic has been discussed several times in just the last few weeks.
onlocation is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If its not windy get the 330X with the undeslung go pro mount. Its easy to fly great video quality ect. But, if there is any wind forget about it
splitboarder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I recommend:

• Do NOT buy a Gaui 330xs - nothing but problems, they just don't work like they're supposed to.
  • Look at a Witespy Quad - based on Multiwii about the same price as the Gaui, but much better. It has accelerometers for autolevel (Gaui does not), has options for altitude hold and heading hold, sounds like they will expand to GPS capable in the future.you can also tune the performance via computer.
  • Make the title of your thread more specific
furyphoto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 03:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyphoto View Post
I recommend:

• Do NOT buy a Gaui 330xs - nothing but problems, they just don't work like they're supposed to.
  • Look at a Witespy Quad - based on Multiwii about the same price as the Gaui, but much better. It has accelerometers for autolevel (Gaui does not), has options for altitude hold and heading hold, sounds like they will expand to GPS capable in the future.you can also tune the performance via computer.
  • Make the title of your thread more specific

Thanks for the info! I'm still trying to research the camera to see if I can use it for other things. The autolevel feature would be handy for what I have in mind. More than likely the filming would be done at wind speeds below 15mph. I think I should decide on the camera first, and then the helicopter to use. I'm leaning towards the GoPro because I could use it to film my other helicopter flights, and my wife and I are planning a trip to Alaska next year. I have absolutely zero quad copter experience, and I am hoping to get input on that as well as the camera. Our rc sailing club is having some big events next year, and I want to get equipped and up to speed before those happen. And no, I'm not expecting professional quality on such short notice, but you have to start somewhere.
mmickels is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in