Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Foamies and Park Flyers

Foamies and Park Flyers 3D Foamies and Park Flyers are an EXCELLENT way to improve your reflexes and stick finesse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hobbyzone Champ

My 11yo son and I decided that we wanted to try flying airplanes. So after some research I decided to pick up the Hobbyzone Champ. My first attempt to fly it was in our gymnasium. I quickly realized the area was too small for me to learn in. Snapped the wing clean off. After more online searching I picked me up some foam safe glue and glued the wing back together. Then I decided I had to wait for a calm enough day outside to try again. Well finally I got impatient and yesterday in 10mph winds I went ahead and tried to fly anyway. I have to say this little bird is a lot of fun. The wind was definitely bouncing me around, but I had lot of fun anyway.

Can't wait for a calm enough day to try let my son fly.
jdr00ejr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice! If you decide to keep flying planks with your son I would suggest trying a scratchbuilt foamy. There are loads of free plans for profiles or fully fused planes. Anything from mild to wild!
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hardest part is finding free time when the wind is cooperating...grr...

I'd love to try a scratch built some day - but need loads more experience on the Champ first. I'm thinking a UM T-28 is in my near future too...we'll see.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

you will love the UM T-28 even more uses the same battery as the Champ...so you can fly both !
Old 11-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

There was a guy on here who used to rave about his adventures with the Champ, wherever he went, whatever he did, he alwas came back to the Champ. I even think he went so far as to get a DX6i so he could super fine tune it. I think he even had the wing glued back on after both sides broke off. Maybe he wasn't a helifreak, but he sure was a Champfreak.

Last edited by lotsaturbulence; 11-16-2012 at 08:50 AM..
lotsaturbulence is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
you will love the UM T-28 even more uses the same battery as the Champ...so you can fly both !
That's what I keep hearing...very hard to justify another plane right now though since I can't get calm wind enough to fly the one I have...
Old 11-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got the park the past two days and both me and my son got to fly the Champ multiple times. Love this little plane!

While at the park, met a man named Jim flying a little "10" nitro motor (sorry, I'm nitro ignorant) 3 channel plane. Guy had been an instructor for over 15 years and handed over the controls (with help of course) to my son. He had a blast!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353272806.635418.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	367227

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr00ejr View Post
I'm thinking a UM T-28 is in my near future too...we'll see.
I started off with a UM T-28 but found it very responsive so I decided to buy a Super Cub. Great plane and handles a little bit wind without any problems
canadien007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 04:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadien007 View Post
I started off with a UM T-28 but found it very responsive so I decided to buy a Super Cub. Great plane and handles a little bit wind without any problems
Which plane are you saying is great and handles wind, the T-28 or the SuperCub? Sold my 120SR last night and pulled the trigger on the UM T-28. Can't wait to try it. Hoping its here on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just got into the Micro scene. I purchased the Pheonix Sim to learn and fly Heli's but I got hooked on flying the HobbyZone SuperCub LP and instantly got hooked, so Iwent and purchased the HZ Champ and am now looking at the T-28 if I can sell my 120SR.

The Champ is a GREAT plane that can be modded and is relatively inexpensive compared to other planes.
ProjektONE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjektONE View Post
I just got into the Micro scene. I purchased the Pheonix Sim to learn and fly Heli's but I got hooked on flying the HobbyZone SuperCub LP and instantly got hooked, so Iwent and purchased the HZ Champ and am now looking at the T-28 if I can sell my 120SR.

The Champ is a GREAT plane that can be modded and is relatively inexpensive compared to other planes.
You're story sounds insanely familiar. ;-) Had the little Blade Helis (MCX2, MSR, CX3) and had a blast - but was crashing a lot (especially the CX3). Had a Phoenix Sim and that was helping. However, my son and I visited a local place that was racing Traxxas Slashes "Off-Road" (indoors mind you). Being that my wife says I don't have Hobbies, I have Obsessions, the son and I agreed to shift gears. In less than 2 weeks all our Helis and Sim was sold and we had 2 Slashes to Race. That lead to eventually having a host of land RC. Well, racing got tiring and old so we decided to go back to the air.

Went Helis again and re-acquired Phoenix. Decided flying the planes in Phoenix was fun! Bought a Champ to learn on which prompted this thread. Now just got the T-28 (not here yet) by selling my 120SR. LOL Sold the 120SR last night and ordered the T-28 on the Bay as soon a it was sold.

Can't wait for it to arrive - but absolutely having a blast with my MQX in the meantime - and the Champ when we can get to a larger area to fly.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I feel like a little kid the night before Christmas and I'm about to explode. I don't know whether to post here or in my MQX thread - so I'm posting in both - sorry about that!

Last night I sold my 120SR and purchased a UM T-28 that should come this weekend maybe.

Today I find out that my 11yo son who had an ear drum graft done had the graft take 100% and has full 100% hearing/function back in his ear.

At lunch me and a coworker recorded an awesome video of my flying the MQX flipping it all around. -
Blade MQX Playing Around with Flips (1 min 47 sec)

I came in from lunch and was told that a friend of a friend is giving me a Sig Kadet Seniorita EP with all the Electronics to BNF. - http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC60ARF.html On top of that he's also giving me a GWS Bi-Plane. I'm not sure which one yet. The only catch was I had to go pick them up tonight or he would give them to someone else - he needs them out of his house before tomorrow.

I'll be practicing a lot with the Champ and T-28 before I brave the Seniorita though.

I'm so blessed and so tickled pink right now.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

HE works in wonderfull ways! Great news for your son! Good luck with your flying. The UM T28 is a great little bird, both my boys pretty much went right to that from a champ with no issues. Biggest difference is the landings. You will have to fly the 28 in, the Champ just basicallly lands itself. Now they are flying the P51 and the regular 28 with no issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in