Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Mechanics

Mechanics Mechanics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Some 5 bladed head questions.....

So, I've got a Trex 500E airframe just hanging out. It's going to be my new scale project. It's absolutely bare so it'll make a great platform.

My question is simple, I see a ton of 4 bladed heads around for relatively inexpensive, align brand ones for $75. I don't see any 5 bladed heads for anywhere near that. I'd love to go 5 bladed and do an MD. Beyond finding one at a reasonable price, do I want to go rigid, or flapping (non-rigid)??

I'm going to have oh-so many questions on this venture, but I'll start with these couple. Hopefully the good folks here can help me find a decent 5 bladed head at the right price.

Thanks everyone!!!

Building aerial video platforms for hire!! Consulting and custom builds available.
carguy4471 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy4471 View Post
So, I've got a Trex 550E airframe just hanging out. It's going to be my new scale project. It's absolutely bare so it'll make a great platform.

My question is simple, I see a ton of 4 bladed heads around for relatively inexpensive, align brand ones for $75. I don't see any 5 bladed heads for anywhere near that. I'd love to go 5 bladed and do an MD. Beyond finding one at a reasonable price, do I want to go rigid, or flapping (non-rigid)??

I'm going to have oh-so many questions on this venture, but I'll start with these couple. Hopefully the good folks here can help me find a decent 5 bladed head at the right price.

Thanks everyone!!!
There's no 5 blade flapping head that I'm aware of for either 500 or 600, but I could be wrong, have not seen any though... I just purchased a 5 blade plug-n-play 600 size, which is what you will want for the 550 at they share the same head and shaft diameter (10mm)... 5 blade rotor head for 600 size will be costly.. in the neighborhood of 400 and above... Also going into a MD500 Tow Defender 600 size

Here is a link to the one I just purchased... plug-n-play means you won't need to use a swash follower, the price does include the swash plate and shipping...

http://www.tfmodel.com/products/prod...sub_cat_id=335

There are others out there, but usually with less cost you sacrifice quality...

this place has them also...

http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...ead/Categories

so does sky hunter hobby, when yo get to the 600 and 700 price is always up...
JoseReyes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I'm a friggin' tool today, I meant 500E.

I do apologize.

The 5 bladed head for a 500 size is over $300 at TF model. That's hard to justify when you can get a 4 blade head for so inexpensive.

Building aerial video platforms for hire!! Consulting and custom builds available.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi there,

I can not recommend a brand of rotorhead, but I can talk about few points:

1) there is no need to use flapping head...rigid head are really good for 550 size.
2) I recommend tip weighted blades (Edge or Align 3G for example).
3) FBL is not needed but I recommend because today are inexpensive.
4) IMPORTANT use bigger tail blades than the ones for regular 550 size...in my 600's I use 105mm tail blades to have good tail authority.

Five blades head in MD's fuselages are really nice to fly if you mount correctly...even without electronic assistance ( FBL's) and no problem with moderate wind at all !.

The only issue with this kind of model is vibrations, be careful about, avoid high head speed, in the forums can find lot of guys with this problems in MD's.

In the video can see two of my MD's with CUSTOM MADE RIGID head and NO ELECTRONICS !.

[YOUTUBE][ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucyrJwzu3Vc[/ame]
krumrick2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm a friggin' tool today, I meant 500E.

I do apologize.

The 5 bladed head for a 500 size is over $300 at TF model. That's hard to justify when you can get a 4 blade head for so inexpensive.

You can find 5 blade rotor head for 500 for 200.00 or less but be aware of the quality. Yes, Align makes 4 blade rotor head for 500 size for 82.00 but once you move to 5 blades is a whole different ball game....
Old 04-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That's kind of what I was afraid of.

As a generalization then, it would be fair to say I would save a good deal of $$ going with a four blade head instead?? If that's the case, I might opt for Align's A-109 fuse, it appears to be pretty nice from what I've been able to find on it.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
That's kind of what I was afraid of.

As a generalization then, it would be fair to say I would save a good deal of $$ going with a four blade head instead?? If that's the case, I might opt for Align's A-109 fuse, it appears to be pretty nice from what I've been able to find on it.
That's one way or a HH-60J Jayhawk from RCA 500 size. Very nice fuselage.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseReyes View Post
That's one way or a HH-60J Jayhawk from RCA 500 size. Very nice fuselage.
I do really like that fuse, it's a tad on the spendy side though. What sort of raised tail does that fuse use?? And does it come with the required mechanics?

Old 04-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I do really like that fuse, it's a tad on the spendy side though. What sort of raised tail does that fuse use?? And does it come with the required mechanics?
It uses a flex cable to drive the tail. It is expensive in reference to the A109. You will have to use a workings TRex 500. If cost is a concern then the A 109 may be a better choice... You can still put a 4 blade head on a MD500 there are several versions of them...
Old 04-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
You can still put a 4 blade head on a MD500 there are several versions of them...
This is great, I didn't realize there were 4 bladed versions of the MD.

I guess the only thing I have left to figure out is motor/pinion/esc/battery. Any recommendations?? Is this something a stock setup could run??

Old 04-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
This is great, I didn't realize there were 4 bladed versions of the MD.

I guess the only thing I have left to figure out is motor/pinion/esc/battery. Any recommendations?? Is this something a stock setup could run??
I use the stock align esc, Hercules Super BEC mini, Hyperion 1210kv motor 13T pinion, metal gear swash servos, and I use the beastx as a flybarless unit.. I currently have two 500 size with Align 4 blade heads. A BO-105 and a HH-60J Jayhawk...
Old 04-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I use the stock align esc, Hercules Super BEC mini, Hyperion 1210kv motor 13T pinion, metal gear swash servos, and I use the beastx as a flybarless unit.. I currently have two 500 size with Align 4 blade heads. A BO-105 and a HH-60J Jayhawk...

Links to 4 bladed MD500's
https://www.google.com/search?q=OH-6A+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in