Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Castle Creations ESC and Software

Castle Creations ESC and Software Castle Creations ESC Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Log, Motor most time at 100%

Hi guys,

How is your log? is good?

I think my helicopter is using all power of the motor to try to keep the RPM that I set!

My setup is:

-Logo 600sx
-10s battery
-12T pinion
-106T main gear
-CC ICE2 Phoenix 80A
-2200rpm

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ultimo voo.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	463706  

Old 11-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You might just need different gearing, like a 13T pinion. They use the term "Motor Power Out", but that does not really mean it is the most *power* that the motor can produce. The motor's KV rating will determine how fast it can spin, even with no load.

If you are at 100% Motor Power Out by the end of a pack, even if you're flying fairly gently or hovering, then the pack voltage has simply dropped too far to let you maintain the headpseed set in the governor, with your gearing.

If your motor, ESC, and packs are not already too warm, I would go to a larger pinion. I'd expect you would be able to maintain the headspeed much better. Be aware that you will lose some torque (due to the higher gearing), and the current that you draw from the ESC & packs will likely climb. But you should be able to maintain a more consistent headspeed.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Motot power out means that the ESC is running WOT.

So for that Kv, that Pack Voltage, and that gearing, your headspeed is simply too high.

Red October is correct, it isn't the max power, that is determined by the load you put on the motor. Going up a tooth on the pinion will up the power, and draw more current, and run a higher headspeed. As long as your components can take it, that is.
ahahn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
You might just need different gearing, like a 13T pinion. They use the term "Motor Power Out", but that does not really mean it is the most *power* that the motor can produce. The motor's KV rating will determine how fast it can spin, even with no load.

If you are at 100% Motor Power Out by the end of a pack, even if you're flying fairly gently or hovering, then the pack voltage has simply dropped too far to let you maintain the headpseed set in the governor, with your gearing.

If your motor, ESC, and packs are not already too warm, I would go to a larger pinion. I'd expect you would be able to maintain the headspeed much better. Be aware that you will lose some torque (due to the higher gearing), and the current that you draw from the ESC & packs will likely climb. But you should be able to maintain a more consistent headspeed.
Thanks for the answer... What if I start using 12s pack?
Old 11-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That would make an even larger difference/improvement, vs going up 1 tooth on the pinion. This assumes your motor, etc, can handle 12S. The Motor Power Out should drop.

Enter the new voltage into the Castle software and see what it says about the Set RPM values you are using now, with the 12T pinion.

It is possible to go too far in the other direction, so that now the Motor Power Out is only 60% or something, and starts to overheat the ESC. You could always try 12S, then review/post the log. Worst case you'd want to go down to maybe an 11T pinion.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
That would make an even larger difference/improvement, vs going up 1 tooth on the pinion. This assumes your motor, etc, can handle 12S. The Motor Power Out should drop.

Enter the new voltage into the Castle software and see what it says about the Set RPM values you are using now, with the 12T pinion.

It is possible to go too far in the other direction, so that now the Motor Power Out is only 60% or something, and starts to overheat the ESC. You could always try 12S, then review/post the log. Worst case you'd want to go down to maybe an 11T pinion.
I printed the software screen to show you that now it shows 86% of full power output, instead of 105% when using 10s.

86% will be good for 3D maneuvers?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25-11-2013 14-22-58.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	467681   Click image for larger version

Name:	25-11-2013 14-29-02.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	467682  
Old 11-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'd expect that will be good, it will hold the RPM much better. Fly it and see what the logs show. You could always go to a smaller pinion, to gain additional torque, and raise your Motor Power Out, if it was now too low.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in