Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Hirobo Nitro Helicopters

Hirobo Nitro Helicopters Hirobo Freya Evo Eagle Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2004, 09:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Scoob finally in need of an overhaul :(

Well, after a year and a half of problem free flying, my scoob was being pissy today... so I attempt to pull the engine out... when all was said and done on the engine stack, yet another OS 50 rear bearing is needed, a new hex adapter, and a few bearings on the ship... crud. I was hoping to fly it this coming weekend. Ahh well, it was a great run.

Donate!
best news online
http://instapundit.com/
If riding in a plane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming. You must leave the vehicle to truly experience the environment.
Greg McFadden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2004, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

VISA+Next Day Air+Couple Late nights= Flying this weekend
Shannon Davis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2004, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

first I have to get this blasted rear bearing out of the OS 50... sofar it is thwarting me quite well. mainly a call to boca bearings...

Donate!
best news online
If riding in a plane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming. You must leave the vehicle to truly experience the environment.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just took the bearings out of an OS 91. I stuck the thing in a toaster oven at 300 deg f I think-- a few taps on the bench and they fell right out.

225 or so should be plenty.-- I'm just like to over do everthing. (unless you ask my wife)
Shannon Davis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2004, 09:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am on my second hot-cold cycle and no luck (from oven to freezer after attempting to tap out bearing)

Donate!
best news online
Old 04-04-2004, 10:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Greg,
Try using a propane torch. Just heat up the case right around the bearing. Keep it moving.
Did this on my last one and a quick slap on the bench dropped the bearing right out.

As for the Scooby. Do it right. Get the EVO head parts and upgrade the whole thing. You will not be dissapointed with it.
Also get the new frame set while you are at it. I think it adds a bit of rigidity to the ship.
fitenfyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2004, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know... I am awfully tempted just to buy a new evo kit... as some of the bearings are in need of being replaced as well

I will try the torch idea.

Donate!
best news online
Old 04-05-2004, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Use the torch when you put the bearing back in, also. Slip the bearing onto the crank, then drop the crank into the heated engine block. It'll drop right in and be properly aligned!
rob_jones is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2004, 05:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Go for the new kit.
By the time you buy half a dozen bearings you will be 1/3 of the way to the new EVO kit.

The Crank and torch method is how I put it back in also. Works great.
fitenfyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2004, 05:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

actually, I just spent 100$ on bearings... 76 for the boca bearings ceramics for the OS 50... and 24 for 20 new bearings for the sceadu (I am testing these, as if these bearings work they are very very cheap at ~1$ per bearing plus 5$ shipping for reasonable sized orders) (I bought 10 of the 10X19X5 main mast bearings (also fits my x-cells) and 10 of the bearings for the mixin arms. I will keep you posted on the bearings... (for those RR people, if you noticed a post a few weeks ago where I mentioned this bearing company laughed at me when I told them what we were paying for bearings...... it is that company)

man I never had bearings stuck in that bad before.... I had to break out a piece of stainless tube with a lip that fit in the groove between engine casing and rear bearing and tap on it for a long time (thought about wailing on it but thought better)

Donate!
best news online
Old 04-08-2004, 09:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

k, so I got my bearings from www.vxb.com in the mail today and
compared them to a few busted minair and hirobo bearings.. They are
for all intensive purposes identical to the hirobo bearings, but I think the minair bearings are better quality (may have changed as my minair bearings are all a few years old). The ball count is identical but the ball diameter is the same as the hirobo balls but just a hair smaller than the minair balls.

but as far as for all the 3mmID bearings on the head, for 12.50 I replaced all of them and now the head is much much tighter.

So I am going to run them in my sceadu and see how they hold up.

-Greg

Donate!
best news online
Old 04-09-2004, 08:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Greg,

Cool, thanks for the tip. I will remember that URL when it comes time to order up some bearings!
rob_jones is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2004, 10:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

coo, I am still hunting for cheaper sources of bearings. I suspect if I could order in quantity I could get even better bearings from this company by specifying my specs, (especially considering some of their prices on ABEC 7 bearings) but I don't really want to get into the bearing distribution buisness at this point in time.

Donate!
best news online

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in