Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #241 (permalink)
Registered Users

What size 2s lipo
are people running? I really want to use a good external bec though........
hidaven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #242 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
In fact, it sounds like more people are running straight 2S rather than BEC due to possible intermittent high current draw with the new Align servos.
Don't know... I have a BEC (WR Hercules Super BEC) and it seems fine. It's real convenient.

How many flights do you guys with 3000mAH 2S packs get out of one pack, and how many mAH are you putting back in on recharge?
HarveyR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #243 (permalink)
Registered Users

Harvey, re you using the stock Hv servos with the WR? I really want to go the bec route to keep things light
Old 09-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #244 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
What size 2s lipo
are people running? I really want to use a good external bec though........
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyR View Post
Don't know... I have a BEC (WR Hercules Super BEC) and it seems fine. It's real convenient.

How many flights do you guys with 3000mAH 2S packs get out of one pack, and how many mAH are you putting back in on recharge?
Quote:
Harvey, re you using the stock Hv servos with the WR? I really want to go the bec route to keep things light
BECs are nice but you are relying on the same batteries that power your motor to power your electronics. The extra 2S LiPo to power your TX and servos is a huge insurance when that motor quits. You can still fly the Heli down safely.

It's a simple setup and works flawlessly. I usually fly a 2S 3600 mAh battery that lasts for four to five flights.

Team GrandRC
ualdrivr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #245 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, but they are 7.4v servos so wouldn't you run the 2s 7.4v lipo straight into the flybarless unit?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????

I like the switch on/off thing on the BEC but whats the point of having HV servos if you are going to stave them!!!!

I'm probably wrong!!

Cheers Darren
Old 09-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #246 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdrivr View Post
BECs are nice but you are relying on the same batteries that power your motor to power your electronics. The extra 2S LiPo to power your TX and servos is a huge insurance when that motor quits. You can still fly the Heli down safely.

It's a simple setup and works flawlessly. I usually fly a 2S 3600 mAh battery that lasts for four to five flights.

There are quality products out there now that give BEC users redundancy for either main pack or BEC failure.
JustinS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #247 (permalink)
Registered Users

hidaven, yes I am, I have the stock HV servos and the BEC seems fine for now, but again, I've not done much flying yet (4 flights with circuits and pops). But personally I'm 100% confident.

Quote:
Quote:

I believe there is more chances your RX pack to fail than there is your powerpack to fail (only one element of RX needs to fail for the thing to be under powered). With the RX pack setup you just add a few risks to the system (RX pack, RX wires, RX plug, forgetting to charge/balance/maintain the RX pack, forgetting the swap the RX pack between flights, ....) so in my opinion the RX path is less reliable (providing you have a good BEC of course!!!) . It's simple: More components is more potential risks.... This is my opinion and I've not yet found any convincing rational against it.... (although many people state they prefer the RX pack path, but with no valid rational reason, I believe it's because the BECs are expensive and the RX pack approach is better known, and is similar than in NP helies)

I
Quote:
t's a simple setup and works flawlessly. I usually fly a 2S 3600 mAh battery that lasts for four to five flights.

This is very interesting. This means you're getting about 25 mins (4 or 5 flights of 5 or 6 minutes) out of a 3600mAH battery. I guess you're a reasonable guy and don't use more than 60% of your 3600mAH, which means you're in fact using 2160mAH in about 25 minutes. This gives us an average current draw of 5 amps, which is half what the BECs provide in continuous and three times less than what they provide in peak.... Now the question is "what do the peaks look like?" I somewhat believe the consumption is pretty constant, due to the 3GX always messing around anyway, so I wouldn't expect massive peaks, but I'd prefer to measure...
HarveyR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #248 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermonkey View Post
Yes, but they are 7.4v servos so wouldn't you run the 2s 7.4v lipo straight into the flybarless unit?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????

I like the switch on/off thing on the BEC but whats the point of having HV servos if you are going to stave them!!!!

I'm probably wrong!!

Cheers Darren
Daren the 2S LiPo plugs directly into the RX. I do not fly the 3GX however. I'm setup with the Spectrum AR 7200 BX and it handles anything between 3.5V to 8.5 Volts. The setup can't be simpler. You use one of Spectrum's EC3 to dual JR servo leads

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMYHEC36

and presto you have strait LiPo juice to your electronics. I've been flying Nitro like that for ever. You plug the leads into any two open slots on the RX and that's it.

The two leads on the far left are the power wires from the battery:

Here is the setup:

Team GrandRC
Old 09-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #249 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cheers mate, nice clean build you have there.......I change from 3GX to Vbar!!! How do you find the Spektrum??
Old 09-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #250 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't forget your ESC or motor my friend!!!!! Thumbs up to the receiver pack BACKUP.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #251 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Cheers mate, nice clean build you have there.......I change from 3GX to Vbar!!! How do you find the Spektrum??
I like The Beast, I fly it on my Nitro as well I like the simplicity of the setup and the fact that no computer is needed to do that.

Quote:
Don't forget your ESC or motor my friend!!!!! Thumbs up to the receiver pack BACKUP.
No worries mate, I did not forget! The ESC is up front and plugs via EC5s onto a Spyder 12S 5300mAh pack.

Team GrandRC
Old 09-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #252 (permalink)
Registered Users

Will the cc 160 fit,in the suggested spot on the 700 dfc? Also, on 12s 5000 how much runtime can I expect with mild big air flying? I need at least 6 min.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #253 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Will the cc 160 fit,in the suggested spot on the 700 dfc? Also, on 12s 5000 how much runtime can I expect with mild big air flying? I need at least 6 min.
I have a CC 160 running 12s 5000. Fits the spot just right, and 6min flying is possible if you keep it mild at 90% flat TC Scorpion motor. This is on a 600E FBL 3GX not DFC using a Western BEC.
Pard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #254 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Not sure about the 160HV, it is bigger than the 120. On this one I had to cut the tabs, where mounting screws could go through, off.

Start with 5 minutes and see how much you put back in them, then work your way from there.

Team GrandRC
Old 09-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #255 (permalink)
Registered Users

The cc 160 will fit but you do have to remove the tabs
#1 Goblin 770 Pyro 800-48-480kv, HW V4, Ikon 2
#2 Goblin 500 Xnova 4020-2Y-1200kv, HW V3,Ikon 2
#3 Goblin 380 Quantum 880kv, HW 100 V3, Ikon 2
snoshoe62 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #256 (permalink)
Registered Users

What did you guys do with the 5.1 regulator cable thingy???
Old 09-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #257 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
What did you guys do with the 5.1 regulator cable thingy???
Nothing, it's still sitting in the box. Not needed with the HV kit, Align includes it anyway. It's good when you want to run a non HV tail servo.

Team GrandRC
Old 09-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #258 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok so I have the Newest 700E V2 HV Align heli

Any way got it flying and did the maden flight. (hovered) no problems.

Second flight decided to tryout some basic loops and rolls. Only got as far as the first loop... Broke the gear that meats the TT & the auto rotation gear in half!

Got the bird down safely, changed the gear.

Second flight same thing... hovers and even forward flight fine...even high speed. So I decided to do a roll this time being the loop broke stuff...

Well the roll broke the gear again! Same break!

Got down safe and now it sits on my shelf waiting for your help!

Now dont let what I say below of what I was thinking it is that way it doesnt cloud your thoughts!
I was thinking the Governer mode on the esc maybe? Its the one that comes with it.. the Ice 120 HV.

Thanks for any help guys.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #259 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7x70 View Post
Ok so I have the Newest 700E V2 HV Align heli
Now dont let what I say below of what I was thinking it is that way it doesnt cloud your thoughts!
I was thinking the Governer mode on the esc maybe? Its the one that comes with it.. the Ice 120 HV.

Thanks for any help guys.
Did you setup the ESC at all ? What kind of headspeed are you running? Is the tail properly assembled are the tail gears in the gear box binding at all?

Setup your ESC according to the Castle Creations PDF and only change the main gear teeth to 112 and go flying after you fix it.

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...00MX-530KV.pdf

Best of luck....

Team GrandRC

Last edited by ualdrivr; 09-06-2012 at 02:37 PM..
Old 09-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #260 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just had reply from a pretty cluey guy of Youtube and said not to run all 4 HV servos through the Vbar unit because the Vbar will not handle the volts from the servos. He said to run 2 servos straight from the battery. I'm confused!!!!!!

Vbar will be installed today. Any thoughts??

Cheers Darren

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in