Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate

Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Compass Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 6HV Maiden, weird twitch?

Hey all, I finally maidened my 6HV today and half way through the flight I started to get a really weird head twitch. Was only doing basic hovers and circuits, I have to admit I was a bit scared as I've never flown anything this big, and I'd get this occasional twitch. I checked it and everything is nice and tight, anyone experience this? I set it up initially with an Align GP750 before my Beastx goes in, I'm also using Savox 1258's on the cyclic and an Align 650 on the tail. My bls251 for some reason wouldn't power up so I stuck with the 650. Anyone?

glowster21 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The BLS251 use 760 frame rate so it wont work with your gyro.. You will need a Quark, ds760, Solid G, GY601 or similar gyro that supports the 760 frame rate... The 650 is a 1520 rate frame which is what the align gyro uses..

The BeastX supports 760 frame rate servos so you can use it.
360Wings is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Formerly BarnStormer

Have you grounded the boom?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

align gyros can use 760us tail servos, but you will need to reference the instructions on how to set it. I know with the Outrage tail servos people sent them back saying they were bad, when they weren't. There was also some problems with the Align instructions. Search on how to set the 760 frame rate and the BLS251 will work fine. That said, the BLS251 feels soft to me, I prefer the feel of the Align 650 over the 251. The MKS BLS tails I'm liking as much as my Outrage tail servos(who are made by MKS).
Scorpion Power Systems/Batteries
Spartan RC
John Cook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Guys, the tail is rock solid with the 650, that's not the twitch. It's in the head itself and happened about 3 minutes into my maiden. I brought it down, checked everything and went back up. It happened 2 more times over the final 2 minutes. They were brief head twitches. No I haven't grounded the boom, think that may be the issue? Again, tail is perfect my concern is from an intermittent head "twitch". Back to the servo though, shouldn't it have worked plugging directly to the receiver? Got nothing when I tried to center it.
Thanks!

Old 06-26-2011, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I've learned anything about this hobby, it's GROUND YOUR TAIL BOOM!

Also, get some pure silicone spray for the belt. Spray it every 12 flights or so through the tail box.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowster21 View Post
No I haven't grounded the boom, think that may be the issue? Again, tail is perfect my concern is from an intermittent head "twitch". Back to the servo though, shouldn't it have worked plugging directly to the receiver? Got nothing when I tried to center it.
Thanks!
It will need to be plugged into a gyro and the gyro set for 760 frame rate, if not the servo will appear to be 'dead'.

As for the twitch, I agree with the others, it could very well be cause from build up of static from the boom/belt.. Doesnt take long to ground it, and will more than likely fix the twitch..
360Wings is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi glowster21,

are you flying the stock Hobbywing ESC ?? If so and you're flying it in governor mode this could explain the twitch. Try using a flat throttle curve without governor.

Grtz,
Dirk
Dflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys. Going to ground the boom and try again. I am using the stock esc, no governor, with a cc pro bec. Didn't realize I had to plug the bls251 into a gyro set at the correct frame rate just to center, great to know. Geez 25 years around this stuff and I still learn TONS every day
Thanks for the info all and I'll get back later with my results. I'm going to fly my Atom now since it's gorgeous, I'll ground later

Old 06-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Head twitch,had it,don't now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkiter View Post
If I've learned anything about this hobby, it's GROUND YOUR TAIL BOOM!

Also, get some pure silicone spray for the belt. Spray it every 12 flights or so through the tail box.
I had the same twitch and I didnt know about grounding the boom so after a little research I carried out the grounding at both the front and tail of the heli and sprayed graphite spray on to the belt and I've never had the twitch during the 30 or so flights since. It's an instant fix.
blackcataps is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Glowster, how did it go, did you fix it? How are you liking the 6HV! ?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the same twitch (except mine was on the tail, too) after I converted to FBL.

The twitch was completely cured by grounding the boom to the motor mount.

I also treated the belt with silicon, just to be sure.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castel View Post
Hey Glowster, how did it go, did you fix it? How are you liking the 6HV! ?
I'd love to say everything is all sunshine and roses but I didn't get a chance to ground the boom yet. I was too tied up flying my Atom to work on the 6
Keep you posted, planning on grounding it tonight.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowster21 View Post
I'd love to say everything is all sunshine and roses but I didn't get a chance to ground the boom yet. I was too tied up flying my Atom to work on the 6
Keep you posted, planning on grounding it tonight.
Flying, fixing? Flying or fixing???

Flying every time for me! Soon be winter with plenty of time to be fixing.
blackcataps is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Totally forgot to update you guys. Thanks sooooo much for all the guidance and suggestions. Grounding the boom worked, twitch is non existent, bird is AMAZING to fly!!! I cant get over how fast yet controllable she is, absolutely amazing. After I did the grounding I took her up for a basic shakedown hover to make sure the issues were gone. After that, it was on!!! My 11 year old and I had a total "Frank Barone" from Everybody Loves Raymond moment. I took her up high, basic tail in, then went into a series of forward and backward flips. After the first one with my son standing next to me we both shouted at exactly the same time....."HOLY CRAP!" we couldn't believe how fast she was.
Thanks to all of you for the suggestions, you rock!

Old 07-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

glowster21,

OUTSTANDING SIR!

Glad that you got the issue corrected and are enjoying your 6HV!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been following multiple threads in the hope that I will glean info to fix my problem.... Awesome flying just now 6 flights with big girl and 5 on my 450 gonna tic-toc before I die.....

I am seeing all this grounding success and I thought what could I do to improve mine so although resistance checks were fine I figured grind all the paint off at the boom where lug terminal is for better connection? 4 flights 16 minutes throwing everything I have at it to make it glitch and perfect the whole time.

I am about to pronounce it all better then 5th the same rpm change 1 time, no tail kick anymore which is weird but may be cause no more silicone overdose.....
Old 07-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

After 3 years at this I have come to the following hypothesis:
We have all lost our f ing minds......

Trying to make unstable models fly with stability, much less trying to defy gravity with countless tricks and "sleight of hand". Nonstop mechanical issues, bizarre electrical demons which attack us almost daily. Yep we have all gone over the freaking edge....

And I didn't even mention MONEY......

Old 07-17-2011, 11:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

i grounded boom to motor using a burned out servo , (used the wire from it) soldered a washer on one end , and used one of the motor washers for the motor end, little self tapping screw into the boom , total time taken to do 10 minutes.
static can make anything glitch , doesnt always end in the gyro/tail , can be any servos etc on the heli.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in