Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Large Scale Projects 790+

Large Scale Projects 790+ Large Scale Projects 790+ Discussion

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2015, 03:20 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Progress is slow. I am at a point where I have tons of stuff to do - can do, but am hesitant to jump into all of it. Being my first major build, I find myself simply staring at things and doing a lot of thinking. I want to make sure I dont get ahead myself and do something "out of sequence" and cause me all kinds of headaches later.

Anyway,

Worked on the wiring and mounting fuel system components on the mechanics. Fuel pump mounting......

Fuel supply solenoid and Y-connector mounting......

And wiring and CGY750 mounting.......

Located the PowerBox Baselog and Jaka control units......

Added some carbon to reinforce the fuse where the removable tail boom plate will be attached.
Before carbon......

After carbon.....

And decided, after much internal debate, to go ahead and detail out the camera boxes (surveillance pods) to replicate the "full size". So I started with making a card stock mockup.......

And that is as far as I got. Ran out of materials LOL!! Was going to make the camera boxes out of 1/8" ply, but will use balsa instead. Dont got no balsa laying around, so I gotta wait until I can make a trip to get me some balsa. DOH!

Later alligators!
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

As usual, progress has been slow. It's that time of year when outdoor stuff takes over and takes the place of indoor build time.

After getting the help I needed regarding the removable tail boom system, and waiting for parts and materials to arrive, I started on that process.

Got the boom plate cut out and here I am gluing the blind nuts in pace....

This pic show the top plate that will be affixed in the fuse bolted to the boom plate to help locate the blind nuts while the hysol sets up......

And started on the switch plate. Doing the layout......

And all cut out and test fitted. Pretty carbon fiber................

And got the tail boom finished and glued together......

Worked on the front retracts and tried to make doors but my attempts are failing miserably. May have to shelve that idea. Right now, trying to concentrate on getting the bare fuse "flying". Goal is to get it in the air before late fall this year. Then spend the winter on detailing and painting the fuse.

Next on the list is to finish up the removable tail boom system, then move on to getting the fuel tank glued in and the mechanics located and bolted in.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #63 (permalink)
HF Support

You are a very neat and imaginative craftsman Steve
Old 06-22-2015, 03:05 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuriell View Post
You are a very neat and imaginative craftsman Steve
Well thanks!

But my skills pale in comparison to most of the scale builders out there. There is so much helpful information out there and so many helpful builders that "have been there done that" and are willing to share their experiences that it makes a build like this "pretty easy" compared to the many pioneers and master scale modelers out there. Without them, their guidance, and forums such as this, I would have never tried something like this. I am glad I did because I am having a ton of fun!!

I simply can not WAIT to see this thing screeching across the sky. That will be my reward!

p.s. - about time for a 429 update eh?
Old 06-26-2015, 05:39 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get it on the floor! (a toss out to bwellmaker!)

Finished up the removable tail boom and am very pleased with the result. Very light, very strong, simple and easy. Just what I wanted.

Got out my shark with a frickin laser beam on its head and used it to ensure proper boom alignment.........

Here is a fantastic action shot of the mini clamps holding things together while the hysol sets up........

And the final assembly.......

I dont know how else to describe my jubilation!!!

Also been working on the front gear doors. I think I finally got something that will work. Almost gave up on them twice, but couldnt let it go. It was a problem that needed solved dangit! Gotta wait on some parts and pieces to arrive, and then hopefully I can get a working prototype in place and show you all what I came up with soon.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:46 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Worked on the landing gear.

First Vario supplies some rather "toy-ish" plastic wheels. Simply not acceptable.......

So, sourced some nice looking aluminum wheels with proper tires.......

The Vario setup uses 4mm axles, the new wheels are 5mm, so I needed to drill out the forks (forgot to take pics of that operation, so picture a drill press with a 5mm drill bit drilling through some aluminum forks ) Also needed to make new 5mm axles. So cut down some 5mm stainless rod....

Made some brass spacers to keep the wheels centered in the forks....

Turned out nicely!

Also started the process of modifying the side pods to get them ready for some chain gun action later on. Some layout before taking the knife to it....

First rough cut done.....

And test fitting them in place to see what kind of clearance I have with the retract servo....

And a random and unnecessary pic of the Cobra, 'cause!!!
Old 07-03-2015, 07:41 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Say it with me...UPDATE TIME!!!!!!

This shiiii....stuff is bananas!

You all know my removable tail boom? Well, need to have access to these bolts holding the boom on......

so we got out the sledge hammer and started making holes!

One final look at the pristine fuse from the top (tail boom bolts are directly below this area) before we go all postal on it....

Access hatch laid out....

OH NO!!! What have I done!!!!

Oh ya, I cut an access hatch. Not perfect, but I am pleased with the results..

Here's a shot of the magnet and resting tabs...

And a side shot showing how awesome I am at making the hatch fit perfectly flush!! LOL!! (OK so I got lucky!)

Just needs some final detail sanding and blending and it will look the shiznit. I'll add a "handle" that will simulate an aerial or antennae later to facilitate removal.

Also painted up the front retract housing with flat black. Didnt really want the pretty blue resin color showing through the windows when complete. The unpainted parts are at the glue joints.

Gonna let that paint dry and then we can glue the front housing in the fuse and then I can move on to getting the mechanics platform glued in.

Gotta order up some M-blades. I have heard they can take a while to get.

Happy 4th ya'll!
Old 07-03-2015, 10:31 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Steve, I am wondering what method you used to do the cutting.
Nice thin cut line.
HW.

Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle. Robert Anthony.
Heliwhisperer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2015, 10:44 PM   #69 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Steve:

I have noted on many full size helicopters that local mechanics will punch holes in a fuselage or boom to get access to something not normally serviced. Round, square, or rectangular patches are then screwed in place for future servicing. It is not out of the realm of possibility for such a cover to be made on the top of the doghouse like that. My own subject CH-139 has a round patch that is not on any other helicopter in the fleet it is from but sure enough, it is there and will be on mine, too. Keep it up, looking really nice.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 02:02 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Don! I know what you are saying. In this particular case, I thought this hatch was "too big" for a surface mounted application and may not have looked "right". So I made it more difficult for myself and went with a flush application. LOL!!
Old 07-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliwhisperer View Post
Steve, I am wondering what method you used to do the cutting.
Nice thin cut line.
HW.
Thanks!

I used the micromark miniature scroll saw. This tool is the bomb! As you can see, with good hand control, you can make nearly perfect cut lines.

http://www.micromark.com/microlux-ji...-saw,6673.html

John put me onto this little tool.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for the link.
HW.

Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle. Robert Anthony.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get it on the floor!!

Front retract housing all ready to go. SBUS servo programmed, end points set, speed set, retract assembly shimmed, lubed and working perfectly.....

Rough cut the front retract hole in the fuse to help with alignment of the housing. Hole is cut a few millimeters small. Will hand file to the correct size after the front housing is fully cured in place....

Front housing in place while while the hysol dries....

And she is sitting on her gear!!! WHOO!! WHOO!! Major milestone for me at least LOL!!
Old 07-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #74 (permalink)
HF Support

The u/c look awesome! Is there any spring in the oleos or do the tyres act as shock absorbers? Like the way you could program retract height to adjust taxi AOA - have to check out some video see if they taxi nose down!
Old 07-12-2015, 07:44 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oleo's do have springs in them, but they are very softly sprung. The springs are fully compressed in that picture (no turbine, no tail boom, no nothin in the bare fuse). Kinda weird that the springs are that soft.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:52 PM   #76 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I believe that if you had the struts sprung heavy enough to let the fuselage "float", ground resonance would be able to setup and that would lead to the destruction of the helicopter. It is better if the gear drops with very little weight to the "taxiing" height and the suspension does not attempt to lift the model. Looking very good.

Don
Old 07-13-2015, 07:33 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
I believe that if you had the struts sprung heavy enough to let the fuselage "float", ground resonance would be able to setup and that would lead to the destruction of the helicopter. It is better if the gear drops with very little weight to the "taxiing" height and the suspension does not attempt to lift the model. Looking very good.

Don

Ya, that makes sense.

Light springs = good.
Destruction = bad.

Thanks Don.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #78 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

You are coming to the Nats/IRCHA, right????? Bring your fleet with you so I can cry about not having room for big birds.

Don
Old 07-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
You are coming to the Nats/IRCHA, right????? Bring your fleet with you so I can cry about not having room for big birds.

Don
I'll be at IRCHA (Friday - Saturday - Sunday), NATS are a day by day decision for me right now. Right now work is preventing me from being able to make the NATS

OK, dont laugh, but right now I actually dont have a way to transport The Lady. It will fit in the back of my Colorado with the tail boom removed, but I need to construct a carrying cradle (easy to do) for transport, BUT the Wolf will be exposed to the elements while driving (no cover), so not ideal. AND only the Wolf will fit back there, no room for any other helis. So I either transport the Cobra and pod and booms and no Wolf or transport the Wolf exposed to the harshness of highway driving and no Cobra or pod and booms. So, I am currently looking for a small enclosed trailer. Crazy huh? My wife is giving me a hard time about the need to buy a trailer solely for the purpose of transporting Airwolf LOL!
Old 07-13-2015, 05:07 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

May I suggest a rental van for the event?
HW.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in