Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gradually losing power as 120sr gets older

When I first got my heli it would hover at around 35 to 40% throttle. Now that I've had it a couple months it takes around 60-65% throttle to hover on freshly charged battery. Flight time has not decreased however, just the apparent amount of lift.

I have 6 hyperion 550mah batteries. I don't think I've mistreated them. My timer is set at 6:30 and they take back right at 440mah during charge on my icharger 106b. That's right at 80%, so I haven't over discharged them.

I did lvc one cell when I forgot the order I was using them and connected an already discharged battery and thought it was full. That cell has some damage and won't fly as long anymore. But all the others have never LVCed.

I have also noticed that the motor is much hotter after a run than it used be when new.

This is my first heli so it's taken many many crashes as well. I crash less now, but when I do they tend to be much harder than when I first got it.

Any thoughts? Is it possible for the motor to wear out?
cquillen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

it's not only "possible" for the motor to wear out but INEVITABLE

yes, I'd say it's time to drop in a fresh powerplant...and I'd pick up another tail motor while you're at it
Heli-cat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

And to also think about lubricant too, I know that these motors last a little longer if you lube them at the bearings...and yes they can and will wear out.

GSPI is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I got a new motor and my throttle stick is back down to around the center again. Seems you guys were correct!
Old 05-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would also keep in mind the main bears need attention too. Just a drop every 3 or 4 batteries. If these bears start to become harder to turn they will add the load to the motor and this will increase current draw that makes the motor hotter. Hotter running motor is detrimental to the permanent magnets. Thus the motor is not as strong nor fast as it was once before. Might also let the motor have a cool down time between batteries if you are currently flying back to back.
HopSkipFlop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Like batteries, the motors are considered "consumables" on these things and you can figure on replacing them every so often...It's usually the tail motors that go out more often than the main. I always keep at least one spare of each on hand at all times..

Murphy's Law says the most likely time to have a motor crap out on you is a late Saturday afternoon (about a minute after the LHS closes until Monday) on the most beautiful flying weekend of the year. ...don't be caught with your motor down
Heli-cat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Main gear and motor lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopSkipFlop View Post
I would also keep in mind the main bears need attention too. Just a drop every 3 or 4 batteries. If these bears start to become harder to turn they will add the load to the motor and this will increase current draw that makes the motor hotter. Hotter running motor is detrimental to the permanent magnets. Thus the motor is not as strong nor fast as it was once before. Might also let the motor have a cool down time between batteries if you are currently flying back to back.
Is 3-in1 oil OK or do you recommend a particular brand?
hifinsword is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

What type of lube do you use?
Old 05-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

People use a lot of different things such as sewing mach oil, 3in one oil, but your best and safest bet is to go to your LHS and get a bottle of R/C bearing oil, not expensive and made for these little high speed bearings, you will thank yourself.

Airshot
airshot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquillen View Post
What type of lube do you use?
This:

USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post
Is 3-in1 oil OK or do you recommend a particular brand?

3in1 is the brand, they have one formulation for electric motors and it's perfect for rc stuff.

I'll try and find a link for ya.

*EDIT

This is the one I use:
http://www.3inone.com/products/motor-oil/
Chris.S. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I remember reading in J. Salt's book that having a hair or thread wrapped around the main shaft can cause this same behavior.
dsuida is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's a good idea to clean and lube ALL the bearings on the heli. If you've had it flying long enough to wear a motor out then you're long overdue if you've never done it. Main shaft bearings, swash plate bearings, swash ball, worm gear on the servos, shaft on the tail motor and the shaft on the main motor. You'd be surprised how much better your bird will fly afterwards

Prôtos 500CF FBL Vbar
Blade 450FBL Tarot ZYX
My98stang46 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 05:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Motor oil and lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfloyd View Post
This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by airshot View Post
People use a lot of different things such as sewing mach oil, 3in one oil, but your best and safest bet is to go to your LHS and get a bottle of R/C bearing oil, not expensive and made for these little high speed bearings, you will thank yourself.

Airshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.S. View Post
3in1 is the brand, they have one formulation for electric motors and it's perfect for rc stuff.

I'll try and find a link for ya.

*EDIT

This is the one I use:
http://www.3inone.com/products/motor-oil/
Quote:
Originally Posted by My98stang46 View Post
It's a good idea to clean and lube ALL the bearings on the heli. If you've had it flying long enough to wear a motor out then you're long overdue if you've never done it. Main shaft bearings, swash plate bearings, swash ball, worm gear on the servos, shaft on the tail motor and the shaft on the main motor. You'd be surprised how much better your bird will fly afterwards

Prôtos 500CF FBL Vbar
Blade 450FBL Tarot ZYX
Thanks for the good advice. My first motor is showing signs of low power. Too late for it but from now on they will get regular lubing.
Don
hifinsword is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anyone used powdered graphite? It's dry and therefore won't attract dust and dirt. I thought that might be a good way to go. Thoughts?

I use that Finish Line dry lube on my mountain bike. Good stuff. Probably sold at most local bike shops.
Squenards is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in