Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics

JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics JR and Spektrum Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default AR500 stripped wires...

After a crash... (not heli - sorry)..one of the antenna of my AR500 was stripped. Now, dissecting it... it looks like a stereo wire (positive and negative wire) with a small socket. Can I replace it with regular copper wire?
DYORD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

One of the Rx's antenna is 'extended' to provide additional diversity (separation) from the other. The wire is not actually stereo but rather coaxial. The shielding negates the extra length and acts to provide the physical separation as only the end of the cable that is exposed beyond the sheilding is electrically active. This exposed section is tuned for the 2.4 GHz and is the same length as the shorter wire on the other side of the Rx. This forms what is know as a dipole antenna.

Short answer is if you replace the longer on with a "regular" copper wire it should only be as long as the exposed section of the original element to prevent detuning but this would negate the physical diversity in the distance domain.

Simply said it is best to return for manufacuturer repair to retain the benefits of intrinsic design diversity. Likely they will send you a new Rx rather than repair your damaged one.
N017RW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Uhm... Ok, im a little lost here. Is there a simplified version of you explanation?

I not sure if returning it to spectrum is possible.. The casing is destroyed too.. Though the receiver is stikl working, i'm not sure with the distance.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK,

Let's see if I can simplify...

The coaxial (stereo wire as you called) wire has an area at the end where the shielding has been removed. This 'exposed' section is the same length as the shorter wire on the other side isn't it? (I don't own an AR500)

The shielding allows the wire to be longer while maintaining it's RF characteristics (tuning) so it can be located in a different location tfrom the Rx giving you better reception due to is distance from the shorter one. (Physical diversity and polarization if you so choose)

THEORETICALLY you could replace the coaxial wire with a copper wire of the same length as the exposed section ONLY and achieve similar performance but I don't recommend it as I cannot attest to other considerations in the Rx design.

"Can I replace it with regular copper wire? "

So let's just go with No then.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks... I think I've found a replacement for this...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...nna_40_cm.html

you think that would work with Spectrum?
Old 05-11-2012, 06:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes and no.

If the exposed section is properly tuned (length) then the wire itself is likely OK.

But, I don't believe there is a connector inside the Rx. It has to be soldered to the PCB. So if you have skills and equipment you could cut off connector, solder on and then do a range test.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by N017RW View Post
But, I don't believe there is a connector inside the Rx. It has to be soldered to the PCB. So if you have skills and equipment you could cut off connector, solder on and then do a range test.
If there is no connector forget it, soldering Coax is not for the inexperienced, and if the OP has the skill to do it they would not be asking these sorts of questions.

IMO the best bet here is to get a new RX.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in