Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Kasama Helicopters and Upgrades

Kasama Helicopters and Upgrades Kasama Srimok 90 Helicopters and Upgrades Discussion

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SveinPedersen View Post
Looks great but: Do we need to lubricate since it's metal to metal?
Why has'nt Kasama advertised this news we all have been waiting for?

Svein¨
Norway
I put a tad of clear Tri-Flow grease on mine.

He is a bit busy with Gov. project but should be up on his site very soon.
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchelijc View Post
From the few crashes I've had, my crown has remained intact while the output shaft, hub, and tail blades were gone.

I have a feeling that when your mesh is set correctly, then when the crown strips more than likely your TT would go first. And a few bearings..

Since the TT twisting / breaking off would absorb most of the shock, I'm thinking that nothing else would be affected differently if a metal crown was used.

Key here is "mesh bedded and set perfectly" and crash involving tail strike.

I guess I'll probably have to crash it first before I can be sure, but crashes are just so random: some of them you think you'd total it but everything survives except for a few. Some crashes you think aren't even classed as a crash, but then you find bolts twisted, shafts bent, and weird parts you never think you need replacing are warped, blades cracked at the root...

But consider the other side of the fence: people who wouldn't have crashed in a particular flight, but did because of the crown stripping? This metal gear would address that... but unfortunately not for what happens if you did crash for other reasons

What do you think?
I don't suppose we'll know until a few people have binned them. Personally I'm still on the original torque tube in my Srimok (Faifa hasn't been in yet) despite snapping the boom clean in two, breaking a few crown gears and going through some tail blades after bad autos.
thefrog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrog View Post
I don't suppose we'll know until a few people have binned them. Personally I'm still on the original torque tube in my Srimok (Faifa hasn't been in yet) despite snapping the boom clean in two, breaking a few crown gears and going through some tail blades after bad autos.
I had my boom snap in two and the TT was still OK. The crown gear did get stripped.

Basically, in a crash all bets are off, there's just no telling. So the main point is just don't crash :-) For now I'm keeping the stock gear on until I see evidence of a problem and then I think I'd move over to the more sturdy synthetic gear before feeling the need to go all metal.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have now "upgraded" my Dune and one of my Srimok with the metall crown gear amd the sound has improved. It sounds now more like tiny bells are rinnging but not that loud. In generell I like the enhancement.
What I dont like is that I have to set the adjustment screw to the max and I still have a "big" gap betwen the helical pinion and the crowngear. I can imagine that the sound would be better if I could better adjust the space for the pinion.

Any similar experiance?
realloser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

realloser,

For Dune. You can unscrew the crown gear hub and turn the hub clockwise just a bit but not too much then you can tighten a screw back on and now the gap should be better. After that it will be little play between Main gear case(KSM10-50TS01) and a Top lock clamp(KSM10-50TS05). So you have to moveTop lock clamp(KSM10-50TS05) and Lower main bearing block (KSM10-TS03) down so will be no play between them. Sorry I am not good at explaining.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i am really happy that there are some developments on the faifa front! i will order it. But is there any news on the slanted main gear and pinion set??? I think most of the noise is coming from the main gear! On my field i am the only one with a Kasama and it is known as a screamer! ;-)
Old 10-12-2014, 11:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got these installed.. These gears are machined to perfection.. You can run them so close there won't even be a rise in noise or vibes.

For lube, I went with dry lube like ceramic lube or bicycle chain ceramic lube. Won't pick up dust.

PRÔTOS 500 Brain HK-3026
PRÔTOS 500 StretchVbar HK-3026
rchelijc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2014, 04:49 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

@rchelijc do you mean only the metal tail drive gear or the slanted main gear as well?
Old 10-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Both crown and the paired pinion. I Just apply and spin by hand slowly until it dries. Then repeat 4-5 times.

PRÔTOS 500 Brain HK-3026
PRÔTOS 500 StretchVbar HK-3026
rchelijc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2015, 10:06 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hurrah, Kasama UK has just had a new stock shipment and so I've got a new delivery :-)

Old 02-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just curious, has anyone used Dry Fluid gear lube on these metal gears?

Also, do you notice the difference in drag when spinning the drivetrain by hand? Presumably there must be at least a tiny energy penalty in having more surface engagement.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2015, 02:14 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillian View Post
Just curious, has anyone used Dry Fluid gear lube on these metal gears?

Also, do you notice the difference in drag when spinning the drivetrain by hand? Presumably there must be at least a tiny energy penalty in having more surface engagement.
I'm going to be running Dry Fluid on them, it feels great on other helis gears I've added it to. The engagement feels super smooth, so as long as the gears spin true they should be better than the straight cut teeth. The old pinion and crown have more engagement, as the pinion length is almost double.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:52 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I couldn't just sit and look at the new gears forever. I also cleaned the main hear and pinion to use DryFluid on everything... my fingers are fooking sore.

As soon as the DryLube was ready I spooled-up without main blades and it's super schmoooooooth and very quiet.

One other thing to mention is that the new metal set is a lower ratio. So for you Trillian it might not be as good for low head speeds, but the existing crown is fine at low head speeds anyway. Where a lower ratio is a big benefit is for the more current higher head speeds. With the previous crown I really had to get my tail balanced to be able to run my 800 at 1,900rpm and 115mm tail blades, so that I didn't get any humming or vibes. It's perfect now :-)

Old 02-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Those gears look great.
jiminator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2015, 11:44 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very NICE Paul.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:21 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Adding the new crown set and cleaning the main, so it's pearly white make it feel like a new heli :-)

I had a quick flight with the new gears yesterday and really does transform the sound of the Faifa, it's so much better without the crown whining noise. There's just the odd ringing noise of the metal gears.

The only down-side is that it's a lower ratio, so the tail didn't hold as well at lower rpm, I'll need to see if upping the gov gains will help.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ben, do you have any metal crown and pinion gears in stock? I stripped my plastic crown gear today, so wouldn't mind trying the metal ones out.
Thanks.
P@reez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2015, 03:58 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Our latest shipment left the factory on Wednesday, so before next weekend we should have them, but it's all down to customs speediness.

BenScoobert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2015, 06:01 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK. I guess I have to wait. Having withdrawal symptoms already
P@reez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2015, 04:27 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@reez View Post
OK. I guess I have to wait. Having withdrawal symptoms already
Shipment landed, mostly, some kits stuck in customs, rest is on the site now.

BenScoobert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in