Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Servo advice for Blade 450x (newbie)

I had a servo strip in my new 450x after 3 flights. I've never replaced a servo before. Local hobby store sold me a Jr DS285MG to replace it. I asked for a second servo so that I could replace both of them. They didnt have another Ds285MG sonthey sold me a DS285MGHV (high voltage, high torque). Here's my questions:
1: is it a problem that these servos are different from each other?
2: what is the difference between MG (metal gear) and MGHV ( metal gear high voltage)
3: anything to watch for installing these?
4: are these god servos?

Thanks for your advice,
Guy
guyguerra is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default servos

different speed are going to affect the beast gyro. there for making your swash move inconsistent.

DS285MG Torque: 17 oz-in @ 4.8V, 19 oz-in @ 6V
Speed: .18 sec/60 degrees @ 4.8V, .14 sec/60 degrees @ 6V

ds285hv
torque: 19 oz/in @ 7.4V
Speed: .14 sec/60-degrees @ 7.4V

i know these seem same but they react differently at different voltz

so what will happen if you run 6v in the the heli. one servo will be faster that the other and the swash with the fastest servo will move before the other servo.

hope this helps

matt blaisdell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

1. Yes, it is a problem. The 3 cyclic servos should have the same speed and specifications.
2. I think, the HV servo wants to have a higher voltage. I doubt that the system will be supplying that 7.4v, so the servo will be even slower than the specification.

3. I would not recommend installing any of the ones you mention. They are slower than stock..

4. No, these servos are not a good match for the 450x..

My recommendations:
1. return both servos to the LHS, explaining that these will not work properly with the heli
2. Leave that LHS...
3a. purchase 3 sets of replacement gear sets from HH or order from a different LHS (at only $3 a set).
or

do 1 and 2 above..
And then research and buy a set of 3 metal geared digital servos. The most popular choice seems to be the HiTec 5065.. I currently have a set of the Spectrum H3000 on the way as some folks think these are ok too.
InFocus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you like your LHS and want to give them your business, then I would return the servos and have them order you either three HiTech HS-5065MG or three Spektrum H3000 servos. You need to make sure you have three matching cyclic servos. The two I listed above have been put into many a 450X and work just fine. They are around $35 too. The Spektrum servos are closer to the stock as far as performance goes, but the HiTech servos are a better reputation. Both will do the job without any real problems.

I run the Spektrum H3000 and am happy. There's lots of threads on here about the two options, as well as some more boutique servos as well.

I am still running the stock tail servo as it seems to be handling things just fine.
Kumba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 03:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumba View Post
If you like your LHS and want to give them your business, then I would return the servos and have them order you either three HiTech HS-5065MG or three Spektrum H3000 servos. You need to make sure you have three matching cyclic servos. The two I listed above have been put into many a 450X and work just fine. They are around $35 too. The Spektrum servos are closer to the stock as far as performance goes, but the HiTech servos are a better reputation. Both will do the job without any real problems.

I run the Spektrum H3000 and am happy. There's lots of threads on here about the two options, as well as some more boutique servos as well.

I am still running the stock tail servo as it seems to be handling things just fine.
Yep agree the HS-5065MG's are the deal everyone suggests I have some i'm installing after the next crash. I also would not buy that much from your local hobby shop sounds like they have no freaking clue and are selling you the wrong things.
Sambuka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1000....on LEAVING THAT LHS!!!
The guy who sold you the "other" servo either 1.) does NOT know anything about helis or 2.) just wants to make money, and doesn't give aabout what he sells!!
My advice ---- RUN....do NOT WALK...away from this place!
And I'll also give a to the Hitec HS5065MG.....they'll be replacing my DS76's when they bite the dust!!
BTW....the 5084MG is a good TAIL servo, too!!
Good Luck!
dasBlade450 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree...if you're asking your LHS for servo advise for heli and they sell you 2 unmatched servos to pair with the 3rd stock servo then they have no idea about helis. If they are the only LHS in your area I'd stick with them, nothing beat running up the road to buy broken parts...but just don't ask them questions since they might out you in a worst situation. In my LHS the is only 1heli guy and he don't work everyday. When I ask the other guys heli questions of ANY kind they tell me "I don't fly heli but I THINK....." then they'll tell me to call back at xyz time when heli guy comes in just to be sure.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you guys so much for the advice. I thought it didn't seem right to have two different servos. Fortunately I waited to get the advice you guys gave here. I didn't open the packages the the servos came in, and kept the receipt, so they'll be returned today.
One last question:
Are these stock servos so bad that I shouldn't just replace the bad one with the same type? I only had four short flights out of the new 450x before the servo went bad. I had no real crashes, though the landings were hard and the blades did tip and brush the ground. I wondered if the servo was defective to begin with. I could order better servos and put them in later, but want to get flying and want to study this a little more. Seems like a stock swap out would be easier and less potential for trouble on my first servo change.
Thanks to each of you for your help. I'm fairly new to this hobby and a BB like this helps someone like me a whole lot!
Old 04-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyguerra View Post
Seems like a stock swap out would be easier and less potential for trouble on my first servo change.
Thanks to each of you for your help. I'm fairly new to this hobby and a BB like this helps someone like me a whole lot!
I'm on the same boat as you, recenlty had a minor blade strike and the only damage was two stripped servos. I debated on just getting the gears or even buying the stock servos again. I knew eventually they will strip again, so I was going to get three hs-65mg but they are pricey and I am just sport flying so ended up order three of these.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...0-Metal/Detail

Read some good things about these servos, but will report back when I get them. I'm thinking they can't be as bad as the stock servos......
Mcpx BL2
profilefan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by heuerfan View Post
I'm on the same boat as you, recenlty had a minor blade strike and the only damage was two stripped servos. I debated on just getting the gears or even buying the stock servos again. I knew eventually they will strip again, so I was going to get three hs-65mg but they are pricey and I am just sport flying so ended up order three of these.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...0-Metal/Detail

Read some good things about these servos, but will report back when I get them. I'm thinking they can't be as bad as the stock servos......
Please do report back. After reading the various threads here, I'm thinking I'll pull the stock cyclic servos and hang onto them for a less demanding application and swap in some metal gear servos, rather than destroying the stockers and upgrading later.

At the same time, I picked up this heli for a cheap return to larger models (after a pretty lengthy break from the hobby), and I don't want to sink a pile of money into what is supposed to be a budget heli.

To tell the truth, I think my rusty skills will not be able to take advantage of 5056MG or MKS servos right now anyway
Invid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid View Post
To tell the truth, I think my rusty skills will not be able to take advantage of 5056MG or MKS servos right now anyway
Your "rusty skills" would be exactly why you would want 5065MG or H3000 servos. The stock servos will strip from anything. Unless you really love rebuilding servos at $3/pop, I would just consider it a long-term investment.
Kumba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah. That's why I want some inexpensive metal gear servos Kumba. To be honest, if I could just get a set of metal gears upgrades for the stock servos, I'd replace them and call it a day. Since I can't, I just want to get a set of metal gear servos that have a chance of not stripping if you look at them cross-eyed.

I don't think that it's worth the expense for me to go for higher end servos when all I'm looking for is increased durability, not increased precision or speed. I'm mostly a sport flyer, and do most of my 3d experimentation on my MCPx anyway.
Invid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

The BeastX will work with analog servos on the cyclic. I'd recommend the Hitec 65 servo. Personally I like the version with "Karbonite" gears(HB version I recall), since the slop is practically non-existent. They are tougher than plastic, but less so than metal.

I was able to pick up some replacement Karbonite gear sets for these servos from HobbyKing at about $3.50 a set.

But for this heli, first thing I'd do is to order some stock replacement gear sets to see how it goes. In fact I have already done this for my future () 300X!
ahahn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had what I consider a minor tip-over on a rough landing and all 3 stock servos stripped out. To me, thats not quality...I got some 5056's and all is well. I also have 3 H3000's on order because they are cheaper than the 5056's for my Trexx 450 clone.
dendenyc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a pretty minor crash and stripped a gear a few weeks ago, so I ended up buying 3 sets of gears for my servos, but boy was it a PITA to replace those gears. I crashed yesterday pretty bad and ended up stripping all 3 gears, 2 of them feel like they don't even have teeth on them anymore. I would probably have to re-grease them all along with swapping gears. Said F-it and bought some mks 92's instead.
azezeil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

MKS Ds92A and you dont need to look back anymore, trust me.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Automotive technician - but really a rocket scientist

You may want to goto a local flying field and find someone local that knows what they are doing if you cant find someone in the hobby shop that knows. Also one you fix your servo situation you need to set up your beastx again before flying...
meatwad99si is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I dont know if its been discussed ,but what do I have to do if Im going to switch the original servos for 3x Hitec 5065 and 1x Hitec 5084...? Is there some programming or such? I havent crashed it, yet...

Thx
puttekula is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I returned the non matching servos and bought a stock one. Installed it yesterday and it's back up and flying. I also went online to ampdraw.com (another helpful piece of advice from this BB) and ordered a set of Spectrum H3000 servos. Not sure if I should change them out when they arrive or wait until one of the stock ones strip out.
Thanks for all the help, you guys are great.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyguerra View Post
I returned the non matching servos and bought a stock one. Installed it yesterday and it's back up and flying. I also went online to ampdraw.com (another helpful piece of advice from this BB) and ordered a set of Spectrum H3000 servos. Not sure if I should change them out when they arrive or wait until one of the stock ones strip out.
Thanks for all the help, you guys are great.
I'd wait till they strip since when you replace them you'll have to re-setup the electronics and re-level everything. Save the added work for when you really have to.
dendenyc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in