Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters > 500 Aftermarket Upgrades

500 Aftermarket Upgrades Align T-REX 500 Aftermarket Upgrades by HF Vendors and Supporters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Got mine yesterday and used it to set-up my head. Fits very good, nice and snug. This is the first time I used a lock that you could just put it in place and forget it. I don’t think I ever set my head up so accurate. I really went thru all my linkages, and for some went plus or minus a turn to really get the best set-up for my collective and cyclic settings. (I always struggle with the my setting being off a half degree/degree between positive and negative) It was nice not worrying about if the flybar was level, I knew it was fixed and all my measurements were off the same reference. The other thing that was real nice was it was not in the way of anything. You can move the heli all around and take measurements from all sides without the lock interfering with anything.

Nice job - excellent tool. Here are some action shots.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2988.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	137352   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2992.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	137353  
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 08:07 PM   #42 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmith751 View Post
Got mine yesterday and used it to set-up my head. Fits very good, nice and snug. This is the first time I used a lock that you could just put it in place and forget it. I don’t think I ever set my head up so accurate. I really went thru all my linkages, and for some went plus or minus a turn to really get the best set-up for my collective and cyclic settings. (I always struggle with the my setting being off a half degree/degree between positive and negative) It was nice not worrying about if the flybar was level, I knew it was fixed and all my measurements were off the same reference. The other thing that was real nice was it was not in the way of anything. You can move the heli all around and take measurements from all sides without the lock interfering with anything.

Nice job - excellent tool. Here are some action shots.

Excellent review. Glad to hear it worked out for you too. Thanks for posting your results!

Rick
rdlohr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #43 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

What this link. Ready Heli should have the 500 ESP version shortly:
http://www.readyheli.com/SearchResul...?Search=rdlohr

In the mean time, just PM me.
Rick
Old 02-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #44 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by caralmar View Post
No, the align head is not perfectly flat... What I was thinking is something that has the same base as the head button, but then perhaps has a way of securing a flybar. You then screw this gadget to the head block and set the pitch.
Kind of like this?

Old 02-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #45 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Its got four pads, one in each corner so it sets perfectly level on the head. It uses a 450 flybar that most anyone has lying around and the stock button screw. I made the prototype for a 600 but it would easily scale to a 700, 500 or a 450. The real question is whether the FBL makers already provide a similar mechanism for cheap.

Rick
Old 02-07-2010, 07:02 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks awesome! None do, except Align that just stated packaging it up w/ their 3G system. I'm sure you'll have lots of Mikado & Skookum customers!

Ahem... so what's my co-inventor commission... How bout lifetime supply of clearly superior products?
AMA #934662
caralmar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 07:51 AM   #47 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Looks awesome! None do, except Align that just stated packaging it up w/ their 3G system. I'm sure you'll have lots of Mikado & Skookum customers!

Ahem... so what's my co-inventor commission... How bout lifetime supply of clearly superior products?
LOL. Thanks for the idea. Typically I give you "inspired by" credit in my write ups and I'll give you one for free.
I had fun designing it. I had never done a two part item before and had never really used the thicker Lexan.
Rick
Old 02-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #48 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:

So Mikado & Skookum sell FBL systems that Align customers use instead of the Align 3G system. That's cool. I have heads for almost all the Align helis from making Flybar Locks.

Rick
Old 02-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #49 (permalink)

My HF Map location

How about some Turnbuckle Links to go with that? No more 1-turn (or even 1/2 turn) adjustments. They're infinately adjustable. And, you don't have to pop them off to adjust them. Really helpful on getting the flybar cage perfectly level.
http://www.rc-tek.com/us_store/fbl50...pcs-p2227.html

BobOD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #50 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobOD View Post
How about some Turnbuckle Links to go with that? No more 1-turn (or even 1/2 turn) adjustments. They're infinately adjustable. And, you don't have to pop them off to adjust them. Really helpful on getting the flybar cage perfectly level.
http://www.rc-tek.com/us_store/fbl50...pcs-p2227.html

Those are really sweet. I wonder why they don't make that center part with flat edges so you can use a little wrench to adjust them.
Rick
Old 02-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
I have heads for almost all the Align helis from making Flybar Locks.

Rick
Hi Rick,

Any plans on making a trex 250SE version?
Align # [KX019005]

thx
/Mats
MatsSweden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #52 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Send me the top of that sweet head for a few days and I'll make a Flybar lock for it Bob. Unless, maybe the stock one will work.
Rick
Old 02-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #53 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I'm not sure what you mean. These are meant to be adjusted with a wrench on the center part. The threads are a different pitch on each side so very fine adjustment is possible.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #54 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Send me the top of that sweet head for a few days and I'll make a Flybar lock for it Bob. Unless, maybe the stock one will work.
Rick
I can do that.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #55 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean. These are meant to be adjusted with a wrench on the center part. The threads are a different pitch on each side so very fine adjustment is possible.
In the picture the center part looks round.
Rick
Old 02-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #56 (permalink)

My HF Map location

They're kind of oval. You can see it in the pic of the head assembly.
I did that so you can be really flexible with the size wrench you need so most people have something lying around that'll fit.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #57 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
They're kind of oval. You can see it in the pic of the head assembly.
I did that so you can be really flexible with the size wrench you need so most people have something lying around that'll fit.
Oh. You're right. Its easy to see there.

Rick
Old 02-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Those are really sweet. I wonder why they don't make that center part with flat edges so you can use a little wrench to adjust them.
Rick
That won't work, look closely at the pictures and you'll notice that one halve has clockwise thread, the other halve has counter clockwise tread, that's how these 'turnbuckles' work. If you have the same thread on the whole link (like the stock Align ones) and make a flat spot on them, then you could turn the link without changing the distance.

Your 450 and 500 Flybar locks are awesome btw, next time I'll order something at readyheli I'll get both. Nice work!
Vinci is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #59 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
That won't work, look closely at the pictures and you'll notice that one halve has clockwise thread, the other halve has counter clockwise tread, that's how these 'turnbuckles' work. If you have the same thread on the whole link (like the stock Align ones) and make a flat spot on them, then you could turn the link without changing the distance.
Actually, the links I make do have clockwise threads on both ends. One is a fine pitch and the other coarse. I did that so the adjustment is very fine. Also, they cannot be backed all the way out this way.
Sorry for the Hi-jack Rick. :o Nice locks ya got there.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

And ordered, for the 500ESP

Thanks Rick for your quick reply on my e-mail.

Now, if we only could have this for the 250SEV2

/Mats
MatsSweden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in