Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 01:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ys12sr rough below 17000 rpm

Got a trex700 standard gears 8.2:1 with ys120 and hatori 3d pipe.
Running 15% nitro 20% cp lv oil.
I'm finding it is not smooth through mid range regardless of tuneing.

It shakes and vibrates heli and can see the exhaust deflector vibrateing violantly and engine sounds rough and runs rough which kicks tail.
(Same with governor on and off)
I was looking at running it at 16000 rpm which would of gave me 1950 hs.
Just wanting to know if anyone else is running this engine and pipe and how it runs at 16000 rpm.
Tried different plugs aswell enya 3 (hot),os 8 (medium), and os A3 (cold).
Have ordered enya 5 plug to try as people say they work in this engine.

I have found it will smooth out at 17000+ rpm (Engine) its like it will not settle till it gets on pipe then becomes smooth.
Not sure how long engine will last but it is very smooth and powerfull above 17000Rpm.
Its either shake the heli apart or risk the engine.
Any thoughts
Blade
blade_900au is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I accidentally entered a ratio of 10 to 1 in my V bar governor and made two flights. This put the motor at 18000 rpm for two tanks of fuel. The motor has since had 20 gallons run through it and is still going strong. I normally run it at 2050 headspeed with 8:1 gears yeilding a 16400 motor rpm. My bet is the engine will be fine at 17000 rpm except its lifespan will be shortened. How much, I don't know.

Glenn
Glenn Goodlett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlett View Post
I accidentally entered a ratio of 10 to 1 in my V bar governor and made two flights. This put the motor at 18000 rpm for two tanks of fuel. The motor has since had 20 gallons run through it and is still going strong. I normally run it at 2050 headspeed with 8:1 gears yeilding a 16400 motor rpm. My bet is the engine will be fine at 17000 rpm except its lifespan will be shortened. How much, I don't know.

Glenn
Hello Glen
I,m just trying to get a idea how smooth this motor and pipe should be between 15000-16000.
Mine is not happy al all.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

How many tanks do you have through the engine? What pipe are you running?

The Enya #5 will make a difference. The YS120 seems to really tell you what it likes or doesn't like... I watched a friend try to fly it with the OS#8 and while it would run, you could tell it wasn't happy. Put an Enya# 5 in it, it worked just fine.

I have one YS120 now, had an issue with the muffler (not the manufacturers fault) that resulted in my engine burning up. Had it rebuilt and have started breaking it in again... it has given me the chance to watch it "grow" and build power twice.

The reason I asked how many tanks you have flown is that with each flight, my engine runs smoother. Tank two is MUCH different than tank twelve. Each tank gets smoother and smoother. The first couple were rough, but as I ran it more and leaned it slightly as it broke in... the engine just runs better and better.

I think that when you put in the Enya #5 you will see a significant difference. Should get even better with each flight.

Tom M
exfokkerflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 04:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfokkerflyer View Post
How many tanks do you have through the engine? What pipe are you running?

The Enya #5 will make a difference. The YS120 seems to really tell you what it likes or doesn't like... I watched a friend try to fly it with the OS#8 and while it would run, you could tell it wasn't happy. Put an Enya# 5 in it, it worked just fine.

I have one YS120 now, had an issue with the muffler (not the manufacturers fault) that resulted in my engine burning up. Had it rebuilt and have started breaking it in again... it has given me the chance to watch it "grow" and build power twice.

The reason I asked how many tanks you have flown is that with each flight, my engine runs smoother. Tank two is MUCH different than tank twelve. Each tank gs smoother and smoother. The first couple were rough, but as I ran it more and leaned it slightly as it broke in... the engine just runs better and better.

I think that when you put in the Enya #5 you will see a significant difference. Should get even better with each flight.

Tom M
Hello Tom
I,m using the hattori 120fs-3d pipe
I would have atleast 15 tanks through it by now.
Don't get me wrong it makes great power just rough in idle up you can hear its not smooth.
Tried extra washer under glow plug tonight to try and drop compression as a test and I believe it maybe a bit smoother @ 16000 rpm.
So have ordered a extra head gasket to try as a shim to see if that helps.
Got some enya #5 and #4 plugs ordered as well.
Cheers
Blade
Old 03-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The YS120, as you have found out, will let you know when it's not happy. Trick is learning what she is telling you! I also found that with mine if it is even a touch lean, it will run pretty rough.

I would be surprised if the Enya #5 didn't make a huge difference. Wait until you get one of those to try before you do anything else.

Tom M
Old 04-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Guy's
Solved the first problem and have now hit another one.
Firstly:
-i added another head shim
-changed gearing to 8:1
-swapped fuel to 20% nitro
-fitted os 8 plug
This thing performs really well as i also changed pitch to +/- 14 and it pulls like a freight train.
The mid has smoothed right out and you wouldn't know there was a problem until you try inverted auto's. (first time ever today and it stops)
What happens is if you tip the heli upside down with engine at idle it runs lean instantly you can hear it pick up revs and go raspy.
When when I flip it back over it goes extremely rich and stops.
I have a header tank on it which is set at mid hieght of needles and pick ups are good in both tanks.
The only way i can make it keep running at idle when tipping it upside down in my hands is to lean out the idle screw to were it gets that raspy sound which is to far i believe,otherwise it goes way to rich and stalls when tipping it right way up.
If any of you guys could try this little test on yours and post results it would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Blade

PS: You dont have to fly it just fill tank start it and tip the heli upside down

Last edited by blade_900au; 04-08-2012 at 07:22 PM..
Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

helo guys,

currently i'm using 15% wildcat fuel with enya 3......my concern is, will the the plug damage the motor since the enya 3 is hot.....i choose to use these due to the engine wouldn't start if i use os 8. Yet once i pull the glow out, the engine stop...cant even rise the throttle....some of my friend told me to adjust the low needle as it seems to richer side....but no matter how i tune the problem just cant lift my heli to hover....every time i try to rise my throttle the engine stop....till i have to change it to a hotter plug which the ys manual recon to use enya 3.....since then, i only manage to hover my heli, haven't really test the power of ys.....will it be smoother if i need to change the nitro from 15% to a 20% or 22% (mix) or anything i have missed out???
faasss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Faasss,

Best luck with this motor comes with using the Enya #5. OS #8 will not run smooth, I know some have had luck with an Enya #4, but I haven't heard about a #3. Try a #5, that's what I am running and it works great.

Where are your needles? The instructions tell you to start at 2 turns for the mid and the high. That is too high, start around 1 and 3/4 and go from there.

You might end up with different settings than I using the Wildcat... but it should work with the right plug. The plug IS critical with this motor.

Tom M
Old 04-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

sure exfokkerflyer, ur solution sure sound good to me.....as will change to enya 5 with the 1 and 3/4 needle turn as i totally agree with 2 round which i think will be much for it....thx again buddy...will try on that..
Old 04-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

You're WAY out of the usable rpms.

The 120 is happiest 16,200-16,500 revs.

Run 1980 ish head speed and it will purr like a kitten and pull like a tractor!

The Enya #5 is THE plug for this motor. It will make a HUGE difference.

I have talked to several guys that have worked through where you are now and all end up on the #5!
RobertAbles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

after try out several setup the the ys,
finally i manage to enjoy the power of the motor. My new setup at:
30% wildcat with enya 5 plug.

the baby so smooth and have plenty of power. Almost fly like my 7hv!!!.. doing rapid tic toc for 1min which i could not image that its unbogable...

but after seen u guys taking the considerations of the motor max rpm at 16000rpm which i have no idea how to calculate that..my gear ratio at 8.0 running at 2150rpm. Can anyone tell me how can set not more than the motor limit?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

You'll get even better power with 15%!!! The best fuel I've found for this motor is the Byrons 15% Masters Blend paired with an Enya 5.

MAX ENGINE RPM / GEAR RATIO = MAX HEADSPEED

In your case:

16000 / 8 = 2000

At 2150 you are running the engine at 17,200 RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faasss View Post
after try out several setup the the ys,
finally i manage to enjoy the power of the motor. My new setup at:
30% wildcat with enya 5 plug.

the baby so smooth and have plenty of power. Almost fly like my 7hv!!!.. doing rapid tic toc for 1min which i could not image that its unbogable...

but after seen u guys taking the considerations of the motor max rpm at 16000rpm which i have no idea how to calculate that..my gear ratio at 8.0 running at 2150rpm. Can anyone tell me how can set not more than the motor limit?
aviator493 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My YS 120 is running nice now with 8.1 ratio I have idl 1 1950 and idl 2 2050.....
I am using 20% opti as I cannot get hold of 15% and a enya no5 plug I have found a OS no 10 will work also....
P.S got myself some more OS no 10s as they work so well with this motor......

Last edited by jwatts007; 05-08-2012 at 02:51 PM..
jwatts007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in