Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Atom 500

Atom 500 Compass Atom 500 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 5.5 Headspeeds

So, I just put the 4020-1100kv in my stretch. After my last oopsie I didn't feel too good about the nick in the root of my Cyclones so I got some Spin 515s. Castle highest gov on 9t was 2400 and it was pretty lame.

So I swap out to the 10t and set 2500 and 2676 - this feels great, however it really seems to be not loving swinging those blades around that fast and the motor came down hot (even for a Scorpion) as did the Talon.

My question, I guess, is what can the Atom really handle headspeed vs. blade? Will I have an issue with these blades at this speed? Do I try some 500s (of a narrower cord - RJX/Zeal)? Do I try a lighter 515 (I love the Rails)? I'd really rather not go back to 2400.
hoblium is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run my 515's at 2800. Ran them as high as 3000. Also with 15.5 pitch. This is with a 4025 and 11 tooth. Power is rediculous but flight times are only 3 minutes with a 3300. I think 2650 or so is a good balance of awesome power and flight time. Not sure how well the 4020 likes it. Scorpions do get hot and this is normal. Its probably fine. My 4025 is way oversized for this heli. Its meant to pull around a 7 pound 550 and the 5.5 is only like 4 pounds.
quinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2014, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinn View Post
I run my 515's at 2800. Ran them as high as 3000 ( ). Also with 15.5 pitch. This is with a 4025 and 11 tooth. Power is rediculous but flight times are only 3 minutes with a 3300. I think 2650 or so is a good balance of awesome power and flight time. Not sure how well the 4020 likes it. Scorpions do get hot and this is normal. Its probably fine. My 4025 is way oversized for this heli. Its meant to pull around a 7 pound 550 and the 5.5 is only like 4 pounds.

Well, good to know it can handle it, maybe I am just being overcautious. Or maybe I just didn't love the feel of the Spins and am looking for an excuse
hoblium is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

if your running 515's and the longer kbdd 84.5 tails, be careful if you push it really hard. you can have a tail blade strike. I mean REALLY pushing it hard though. happened to me once but i had my cyclic rates maxed to a point where it was barely flyable. i took some carbon 95's and sanded them down to 81mm to have a wider chord blade that was shorter just in case.
quinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2015, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Both of my KBDD 84.5's have nicks on the leading edge from striking my 515's, after a while it doesn't matter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in