Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Bergen R/C Helicopters

Bergen R/C Helicopters Bergen Intrepid 90 Intrepid Turbine Observer Industrial Twin Observer Turbine Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default FBL Head setup

Because I did not get this part done in the manual yet, for Brian and Ernie, this setup guide is for you!!

The head axle is installed the same way as instructed in the manual, as are the blade grips themselves.

The obvious difference will be the negation of the flybar and all its' afilliated components.

Install the pitch arms to the blade grips with the 2 ea 3X6 SHCS and loctite, also installing a short ball onto the pitch arm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Slide the swash follower onto the mainshaft, then install the head per the manual, ensuring the "jesus" bolt goes through the hole in the top of the mainshaft.

Snap the "porkchop" onto one of the balls on the inner ring of the swashplate. This link MAY need reaming, but do NOT make it too loose.

Using the 65mm rods and 4 ball links, make 2 rods of equal length of appx 83 mm, center hole to center hole. These also snap onto the balls on the inner ring of the swash, then up to the pitch arms.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey! ....no gold anodizing?

Cletus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2009, 08:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nope!! Only silver for the FBL system.

Set the height of the follower by giving full collective and setting the follower halfway between the headblock and the swashplate.

Check that the follower arm cannot go over center or bind with full down collective.

The arm should sit at a slightly down angle at half stick.

Set the timing to 0, IOW line up the balls on the inner swash with the balls on the outer swash and set the rotor blades directly over the boom. The rods will go straight up from the swash to the pitch arms when set correctly.

When your happy with it's placement, tighten the pinch bolt, securing the follower arm assy to the mainshaft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Follower, full collective.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	107974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Follower, full down collective.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	107975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Follower, half collective.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	107976   Click image for larger version

Name:	timing front view.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	107978   Click image for larger version

Name:	timing side view.jpg
Views:	1064
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	107979  

Name:	Follower pinch bolt..jpg
Views:	632
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	107980  
Old 07-28-2009, 08:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Setting up the collective and cyclic ranges will mean slightly lowered ail, ele, and collective ATV's.

To determine these settings, install the Fancy FBL head level tool to the top of the rotor head with the 3X8 SHCS. Loctite is NOT required...

At half stick in the radio, set your pitch to 0 degrees...by adjusting the pushrod from the swash to the pitch arm.

Be sure to do BOTH blades....
Old 07-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Now check full up and full down collective, adjusting the collective or pitch ATV's or endpoints (whatever YOUR radio calls it) to give you +- 10, or 11, or 12, whatever your preference is, but I suggest starting at 10 degrees.

Setting the cyclic is done similarly, Start off with the collective at EXACTLY half stick and 0 degrees of pitch on the blades.

With the blades pointed sideways out (left and right of the helicopter), move the elevator stick all the way fwd, adjusting the elevator ATV's to give you 7 degrees of pitch. Be sure to check and adjust both fwd AND aft cyclics.

Now rotate the blades fore and aft, along the boom and over the canopy, and move the aileron stick all the way to one side, adjusting the ail ATV's to again get 7 degrees of cyclic. Again, be sure to check and adjust BOTH sides, left and right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	+10 collective.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	107983   Click image for larger version

Name:	-10 collective.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	107984   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 degrees elevator cyclic.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	107985   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 degrees aileron cyclic.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	107986  
Old 07-28-2009, 11:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Chris, we'll put this to good use in a few days!
Outrage 550..........Outrage G5........Phazor 600
In memory of: James Archer
wren1702 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 06:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbergen View Post
Setting up the collective and cyclic ranges will mean slightly lowered ail, ele, and collective ATV's.

To determine these settings, install the Fancy FBL head level tool to the top of the rotor head with the 3X8 SHCS. Loctite is NOT required...

At half stick in the radio, set your pitch to 0 degrees...by adjusting the pushrod from the swash to the pitch arm.

Be sure to do BOTH blades....
I take it that little "strap", tying the tail-boom braces together is some sort of resonance damping device?
BTW Nice and clean that FBL system!

Old 07-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Boom support bridge from Fortune Model Products. Mike sent me a few sets to try out. nicely machined, anodized, available indifferent colors (red, black, blue, silver) and certainly stiffens up the boom supports.

I hope to have a batch of them at IRCHA, but Mike's mother is terminal in the hospital last I talked to him, so he has other matters to attend to .
Old 07-31-2009, 08:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Boom support bridge from Fortune Model Products. Mike sent me a few sets to try out. nicely machined, anodized, available indifferent colors (red, black, blue, silver) and certainly stiffens up the boom supports.

I hope to have a batch of them at IRCHA, but Mike's mother is terminal in the hospital last I talked to him, so he has other matters to attend to .
Looks good, I want one

Old 08-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

DAMNED! .....While setting-up the head, the S9252 Collective servo failed, it will now only go in one direction and not the other. Will contact Heliproz and discuss an exchange. Sure glad it has happened now. However I dread to think of all the stuff it looks like I have to take apart just to change-out that servo.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
However I dread to think of all the stuff it looks like I have to take apart just to change-out that servo.
I agree. On my heli, all the servos were installed INSIDE the frames. When I replaced them, I put the outside the frames, and put the balls on the inside of the servo arms to keep them in the same plane. Much easier to replace that way...
F6Hawk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6Hawk View Post
I agree. On my heli, all the servos were installed INSIDE the frames. When I replaced them, I put the outside the frames, and put the balls on the inside of the servo arms to keep them in the same plane. Much easier to replace that way...
Looks like I may have to do just that.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not suggested to leve the servo's outside and turn the balls around, they just endup hitting the servo at extremes of throw.

Try this. It takes some wiggling, and will NOT work with the bigger servos like the 8717's, but you can get normal servos like the 9252 in and out without dissassembling the frames.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ServoInstallTip.jpg
Views:	928
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	108629  
Old 08-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cletus, show me a pic of the collective servo wheel and triple bellcrank setup.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Cletus, show me a pic of the collective servo wheel and triple bellcrank setup.
Hi Chris:
If I can indeed wiggle that servo out, that will certainly make my day! ...then, I will use the 9252 I've got in the throttle to replace it. I have a new Spectrum DS821 that I can use for throttle until Heliproz resolves the defective 9252 issue.
Here's the collective servo wheel and triple bellcrank setup photo (an elevator linkage has been removed for clarity):

Old 08-02-2009, 03:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK! It does wiggle-out just fine!
The servo is screwed though, it rotates clockwise full power and speed. Counterclockwise it's dead slow with virtually no power at all ...but we knew that going in!

Old 08-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Chris:
Ok .......a wiggle here, a wiggle there and the servo's swapped-out. A servo-reversal was needed for the DS821 which now occupies the throttle position and 15-beeps of sub-trim to get the collective wheel-splines to line-up the way the previous wheel did at zero-subtrim and we're good to go
THE BUILD IS BACK ON TRACK! ...weather's too lousy to fly the Raptor today anyway. Let's hear what Brian at Heliproz has to say about resolving this 9252 issue.
Thanks, Cletus

Old 08-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Chris,

Can't you also carefully dremel the servo tabs on the opposite frame side to get the servo out? After all, you are only going to be mounting the servo on one side of the frame.

Lou
www.circlecityhelis.com
lperagallo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cletus, that's odd that it took that much subtrim to get it in the same spot....

And yes, you can dremel the side of the frame that the servo is NOT bolted to, I'm not sure it'll help gettgin the servo in and out, but it certainly may help keep the servo wire from rubbing, right where it comes out of the servo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in