Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand

bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand Factory Sponsored Bavarian DEMON and HeliCommand Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default DX18 Horizon setup

Here is how I setup my Horizon channel on my DX18. I believe this scheme will also work on the new DX9.

In this example, the Horizon channel uses Aux 2. The Push-button for Rescue is switch I . I have switch F for Self level. There are two mixes
Mix1:
I>Aux2 (assigns the pushbutton to channel Aux2)
Rate 0 110 (this sends -110 out Aux 2 when I push Switch I)
Offset 0
Switch ON

Mix 2:
F>Aux 2 (this also assigns switch F to drive channel Aux 2)
Rate 17% -30%
Offset 0
Switch I
black zero, white 1

This sends zero when F is centered (position 1), +17 when its in position 0, and +30 when its in position 2. Zero is no SL, +17 is a mild SL, and +30 is a moderate SL. You can change the 17 and -30 values to your liking. Note that you need a negative number in the right rate-field to get a positive output.

Also, notice how Mix 2 is switched by Switch I. With the logic set as indicated (black 0, white 1), Mix 2 is turned off when you press the Pushbutton. So Mix 1 overrides Mix 2 and you always get -110 when you press the button no matter where Switch F is.

There is nothing sacred about the switch choices. You can also use the Clear or Back as the pushbutton but they do other built in things as well. You can uses any switch you want to the SL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Bump and sub.

'Cuz my DX-18 is showing up in a couple of days.

...and thanks.
Hawk404 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk404 View Post
Bump and sub.

'Cuz my DX-18 is showing up in a couple of days.

...and thanks.
glad to help
Old 09-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I really only use my hc3sx as a bailout with col. pitch (captain rescue). So on my dx18 (which I really like btw) I just use the trainer/bind button (switch I) set to 0% (no horis stab) and -100% when pushed (for rescue).

Does not get any simpler than this imho.

Cheers,
TomC
Now also a FPV addict; Quads and Planes (soon to try heli's!)
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Sl is very useful in case of loosing your tail. If you look around the forum some have reported saving their heli by using a high SL number while coming down. It was used before just as a rest by activating it making the heli stable on its own.

I am now experimenting with a 3 position switch for auto with an off position, a middle with no SL to practice auto and a third with auto and SL at 40% to stabilize the heli in such an emergency
Old 09-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

As long as this works for you that's great imho. Personally I like to have just one rescue button to train my brain to use in an emergency.

Cheers,
TomC
Old 09-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

For myself I'm intending to use self-level as training wheels for inverted. I'll probably have more use for SL than CR.
Hawk404 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk404 View Post
For myself I'm intending to use self-level as training wheels for inverted. I'll probably have more use for SL than CR.
I initally tried this (and all the other horiz modes as well) but I found that flying around with even small amounts (~17%) of SL felt un-natural (like a self correcting coaxial heli) and really did not help train me. Too much use could also end up giving you some bad habits as well imho.

Best thing for me was just going inverted and using a short burst of CR when needed.

Everyone is diff so def worth trying all the diff horiz modes to see what works best for you.

As an aside, the best inverted trainer initially for me was a mcpx flown over grass with a finger ready on throttle hold, lol!

Cheers,
TomC
Old 11-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HELP!

I am totally lost on set up of this unit. (Bavarian demon) I purchased it for my Align Trex 600 EFL, and cant figure out how to connect servo's, all my inputs are revered and when I change them in the radio, still reversed on the screen. I do know my way around a flybarless
system I did set up my mini vbar (which was a lot simpler) Can anyone walk me through set up Please! This unit was too expensive for it not to work for me.

Thanks
Vegasbabyrn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasbabyrn View Post
I am totally lost on set up of this unit. (Bavarian demon) I purchased it for my Align Trex 600 EFL, and cant figure out how to connect servo's, all my inputs are revered and when I change them in the radio, still reversed on the screen. I do know my way around a flybarless
system I did set up my mini vbar (which was a lot simpler) Can anyone walk me through set up Please! This unit was too expensive for it not to work for me.

Thanks
Are you following the wizard? There are setup videos in another sticky that go through the process. Are you using sats or a full RX. You don't connect the servos until well into the process. You have to get the bars moving right on the diagnose screen. TX reverse will change the direction on Diagnose. later you get the actual servo direction right on the Mixer tab.

You will get it. It may take some time at first. Try to be more specific about where you are stuck and what you have done so far.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Thanks
Please try to get some local help. There should be at least a few guys in your area that have these. I have setup s3x's and v-bar's and they pretty well the same except for the 3sx rescue/bailout functions.

Cheers,
TomC
Old 11-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:

Thanks
OK. Lets break this down.

* Sorry in advance for the long post. *

Your TX sends signals to your receiver (or sats) which is then sent to your BD3SX which then controls the servos.

I assume you have connected the servos in the manner as illustrated by the manual.

(For the Trex600efl, 1 is front left, 2 is front right, 3 is back).

First get TX to BD3SX via receiver going. Ensure the BD3SX is receiving the correct signals. Once this is done, you do not touch the TX channel settings.

Let me repeat that:

Once the TX to the BD3SX has the correct signals, DO NOT ALTER THE TX CHANNELS.

Your TX will be in "1 Servo 90" swash type for Spectrum or "H-1" swash type for Futaba.

Your TX is only providing the control inputs to the BD3SX. The BD3SX must know from it's input if you want to go up, down, roll left, roll right, nose up, nose down, rudder left, rudder right (tail gyro gain and head gyro stabilization/rescue). This input should not be confused by swash type mixes.

Once TX to BD3SX is done, all the rest is telling the BD3SX how to manipulate the heli.

First you manually level the cyclic servos at mid throw. This tells the BD3SX, at 0 collective, give 0 output to the servos and they are at mid throw which is 0 degrees blade pitch. Get this wrong and upright and inverted rescue will be at different climb rates.

Next you program the BD3SX to tell it which servo configuration (H3-120 for the Trex600efl).

Once the swash servo configuration and direction is entered, use the control software servo reversing to ensure correct operation of the swash plate. First use full collective/negative collective to ensure all the servos move up and down as expected (reverse output in the BD3SX configuration only at this stage).

Once this collective movement is confirmed, if forward/backward and left/right is reversed, change the servo layout from forward to backward in the BD3SX configuration. If just left/right is incorrect, swap the wires for servo 1 and servo 2 and go back to re-level, then re-confirm collective moves swash up and down correctly.

Once you have correct swash movement, then it is tuning parameters.

Once you understand that the sequence:
- TX is sending control signals to the BD3SX.
- BD3SX works out what to do with the control signals (what adjustments need to be made, etc).
- BD3SX then makes changes to the models servos to try get the heli to do as the BD3SX was instructed by the TX.

FBL flying is flying by proxy. You tell you driver what to do. Your driver assesses the current conditions and steers the vehicle to achieve the outcomes you instructed. If you tell the heil driver to keep it level, and a gust of wind hits the heli, the driver corrects the helis angle to keep it level (without further input from you).

Hope this all makes sense.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
Here is how I setup my Horizon channel on my DX18. I believe this scheme will also work on the new DX9.

In this example, the Horizon channel uses Aux 2. The Push-button for Rescue is switch I . I have switch F for Self level. There are two mixes
Mix1:
I>Aux2 (assigns the pushbutton to channel Aux2)
Rate 0 110 (this sends -110 out Aux 2 when I push Switch I)
Offset 0
Switch ON

Mix 2:
F>Aux 2 (this also assigns switch F to drive channel Aux 2)
Rate 17% -30%
Offset 0
Switch I
black zero, white 1

This sends zero when F is centered (position 1), +17 when its in position 0, and +30 when its in position 2. Zero is no SL, +17 is a mild SL, and +30 is a moderate SL. You can change the 17 and -30 values to your liking. Note that you need a negative number in the right rate-field to get a positive output.

Also, notice how Mix 2 is switched by Switch I. With the logic set as indicated (black 0, white 1), Mix 2 is turned off when you press the Pushbutton. So Mix 1 overrides Mix 2 and you always get -110 when you press the button no matter where Switch F is.

There is nothing sacred about the switch choices. You can also use the Clear or Back as the pushbutton but they do other built in things as well. You can uses any switch you want to the SL.
What do you have your Aux2 travel limits set to. I can't get this to work in my DX9 without setting the Aux2 limits at 150/150. Even the I can only get the 3 position switch ( I'm using switch C) to read 17/35 by entering negative numbers on each side.

Plus the numbers aren't even close to this I have to set -89/-123 to get +17/+35. Using your nukes I get -105/0/+150.

No matter what I do I can't get -100 on the bind button anywhere but in position 1 (the middle pos) on the 3 position switch.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWill View Post
What do you have your Aux2 travel limits set to. I can't get this to work in my DX9 without setting the Aux2 limits at 150/150. Even the I can only get the 3 position switch ( I'm using switch C) to read 17/35 by entering negative numbers on each side.

Plus the numbers aren't even close to this I have to set -89/-123 to get +17/+35. Using your nukes I get -105/0/+150.

No matter what I do I can't get -100 on the bind button anywhere but in position 1 (the middle pos) on the 3 position switch.
Lets break this into two problems.

First assign Aux2 to a pot and test it's limits in the BD setup software (you should be able to get +100 and -100.as far as the BD3SX (or BD3X) thinks for the rescue channel). This adjustment should be able to be done with sub-trim and travel adjust.

Next re-assign it to Governor (let Gov be switch you want for self level and channel Aux2). You should be able to set the Gov channel to Aux2. The values you put on the switch will be the self level modes.

Lastly rescue (ensure all other things work properly first). Rescue is achieved by a mix. The mix will send the Aux2 channel to lowest level when the switch is pulled, but have no effect when not.

In Function List > Mixing
Mix n
I > Gov (or Aux2)
0% -125%
Offset: 100%
Switch: INH

This little trick using offset sends an adjustment of -250% to the Aux2 channel. You should be able to see this work on the monitor screen. A momentary switch (like trainer) has a value of 100% when not pressed and -100% when pressed. As this is always the case, the mix does not have to be assigned to a switch as it IS a switch.

You may also want to tell it to work in all modes EXCEPT hold as rescue on hold is often very bad - bleeds head speed). You may want a second mix to turn on SL (but not pitch) when using rescue in hold (so it will level out, but not kill your head speed). May actually do this on my DX8 when I get home.

Hope this helps some.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
Lets break this into two problems.

First assign Aux2 to a pot and test it's limits in the BD setup software (you should be able to get +100 and -100.as far as the BD3SX (or BD3X) thinks for the rescue channel). This adjustment should be able to be done with sub-trim and travel adjust.

Next re-assign it to Governor (let Gov be switch you want for self level and channel Aux2). You should be able to set the Gov channel to Aux2. The values you put on the switch will be the self level modes.

Lastly rescue (ensure all other things work properly first). Rescue is achieved by a mix. The mix will send the Aux2 channel to lowest level when the switch is pulled, but have no effect when not.

In Function List > Mixing
Mix n
I > Gov (or Aux2)
0% -125%
Offset: 100%
Switch: INH

This little trick using offset sends an adjustment of -250% to the Aux2 channel. You should be able to see this work on the monitor screen. A momentary switch (like trainer) has a value of 100% when not pressed and -100% when pressed. As this is always the case, the mix does not have to be assigned to a switch as it IS a switch.

You may also want to tell it to work in all modes EXCEPT hold as rescue on hold is often very bad - bleeds head speed). You may want a second mix to turn on SL (but not pitch) when using rescue in hold (so it will level out, but not kill your head speed). May actually do this on my DX8 when I get home.

Hope this helps some.
Thanks for this, not sure exactly what I did wrong but I got it to work; at least it works on the monitor screen. I haven't yet set it up in the BD3SX.

What I had done is when freed up Aux 2 to use for SL and rescue; I had been using through the "gov" screen to tune the head gain, I assigned Aux 2 to the "C" switch. The "C" then I tried to set up a SL mix on that switch and a mix to use rescue on the bind switch ( switch "I").

I tried to set SL at "0%" in the position 2 (middle pos), 17% in position 1 (top) and 35% in position 3 (bottom). I was getting all kind of weird numbers on the monitor screen, even worse when I pushed the button for rescue.

All I did was go into switch assign and inhibit the switch for Aux 2. Now there is no switch assigned for Aux 2 other than what I had set up in the two mixs.

Went back to the monitor screen and checked both mixes and they work fine now. Not sire what the switch assignment in the system settings had to do with it, but, it works now.

I get -110 (which is what I mixed rescue for) when I push the bind (rescue button) no matter which of the 3 positions I have the SL mix in; have SL set on switch "C" the SL is programmed for 17/0/35 on that switch.

But… after reading your post I checked and sure enough rescue is sending -110 when in hold. I really would lime that to not be the case.

Would you mind helping me out with a mix to turn rescue off in hold.

I suspect I would set a mix that look something like this.

MIX "X"
Hold>Aux 2
0% 0%
Offset 0%
Switch on (or: Switch Hold 0 (black) 1 (clear)

But, I don't know for sure. This mixing stuff is pretty hard for me to understand and the manual is really not very good at explaining it. There's not much useful information in the manual in general and especially not much for setting up mixes.

Thanks in advanc for your help.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Thanks for this, not sure exactly what I did wrong but I got it to work; at least it works on the monitor screen. I haven't yet set it up in the BD3SX.

What I had done is when freed up Aux 2 to use for SL and rescue; I had been using through the "gov" screen to tune the head gain, I assigned Aux 2 to the "C" switch. The "C" then I tried to set up a SL mix on that switch and a mix to use rescue on the bind switch ( switch "I").

I tried to set SL at "0%" in the position 2 (middle pos), 17% in position 1 (top) and 35% in position 3 (bottom). I was getting all kind of weird numbers on the monitor screen, even worse when I pushed the button for rescue.

All I did was go into switch assign and inhibit the switch for Aux 2. Now there is no switch assigned for Aux 2 other than what I had set up in the two mixs.

Went back to the monitor screen and checked both mixes and they work fine now. Not sire what the switch assignment in the system settings had to do with it, but, it works now.

I get -110 (which is what I mixed rescue for) when I push the bind (rescue button) no matter which of the 3 positions I have the SL mix in; have SL set on switch "C" the SL is programmed for 17/0/35 on that switch.

But… after reading your post I checked and sure enough rescue is sending -110 when in hold. I really would lime that to not be the case.

Would you mind helping me out with a mix to turn rescue off in hold.

I suspect I would set a mix that look something like this.

MIX "X"
Hold>Aux 2
0% 0%
Offset 0%
Switch on (or: Switch Hold 0 (black) 1 (clear)

But, I don't know for sure. This mixing stuff is pretty hard for me to understand and the manual is really not very good at explaining it. There's not much useful information in the manual in general and especially not much for setting up mixes.

Thanks in advanc for your help.
OK. Set gov to use switch C and send output to Aux2 channel. There should be no "mixes" that involve switch C (Governor is already doing it's job).

If you assign switch "I" to Aux 3, what are the values of Aux 3 when switch "I" is normal and in then in rescue position? These are the values in use for the mix (I > Aux2).

The mixes use the same algorithms as the DX8. I tries explaining how these mixes work in another thread. ("Solving the DX8 spectrum mix setting mystery." (https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?p=5370251) )

If I has a value of -100 when pressed and 100 when normal, the following mix should work for rescue.

Mix n - "I" > Ax2 0% -125% 100% Sw:INH

Now here is the tricky part. The DX8 can assign mixes based on flight modes (You can say this mix is for flight modes N,1,2,H and/or mix). From what I can see in the DX9 manual, this option is missing (don't panic yet). What you can do is assign the mix to operate when the Hold Switch is NOT on. So it becomes:

Mix n: "I" > Ax2 0% -125% 100% Sw:Switch H 0

This means the mix is active as long as hold is NOT on.

So what about SL with hold on.

Try:

Mix n+1: "I" > Ax2 0% 40% 0% Sw:Switch H 1

What this should do is tell the DX9 when Switch H is on hold AND Trainer ON, then raise Ax2 by 40% (ie. SL on harder).

The monitor output values show the values AFTER travel adjust and subtrim are applied. Take them as a rough guide. For SL (and gyro) with the BD3SX, the INPUT values are more important than the output values (as the output values are synchronised to ensure the BD3SX reads the same values as the inputs we are specifying).

Hope this helps and makes sense.

(Would be nice to have a DX9 to play with, but having the DX8 and the Taranis, I have no NEED for another TX). Once the receiver and telemetry in the X5 are replaced, I will have no need for the DX8 (except as a backup). The only things the Taranis misses from the DX9 are: wireless buddy box, easy programming and HH support. In exchange it has better range, more flexible programming), 7 extra transmitter channels (and 16 extra virtual channels) and it's $300 cheaper).
Old 02-09-2014, 01:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, I'll work on this a bit more tomorrow after I'm back from flying at the field and riding my Mtn bike.

The sad thing is about the time I get the FX9 all figured out I'll have to start over with a JR.
I'm just waiting for the new JR 28X to be released ( http://www.jramericas.com/28x/ ) as soon as it is I think I'm grabbing one.

Then I get to start the learning curve all over again.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Thanks, I'll work on this a bit more tomorrow after I'm back from flying at the field and riding my Mtn bike.

The sad thing is about the time I get the FX9 all figured out I'll have to start over with a JR.
I'm just waiting for the new JR 28X to be released ( http://www.jramericas.com/28x/ ) as soon as it is I think I'm grabbing one.

Then I get to start the learning curve all over again.
As the JR 28X is probably North of $1200, are you sure you need this for helis? If you fly plank, gliders and everything else as well, I could understand. I'd just prefer to put that toward a good 700 series heli instead of a TX. (but that's me).
Old 02-09-2014, 01:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I was going to say make sure you don't have another switch assigned to Aux2 in channel assignment.

I just had this happen yesterday on a plane I have. Turned out I had a switch still assigned in the setup menu because I did some channel rearranging. If you have use my mixes, you have to make sure the channel is set to Inh in the channel assignment so you found the right cure.

If you run into problems like this and can't find the cause, sometimes you need to start with blank model.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:33 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Not sire what the switch assignment in the system settings had to do with it, but, it works now.
The software adds up all the signals fed to a channel. If you had a switch assigned to that channel you had -100, or 0, or +100 being added to the mix values.

You should be able to use the exact mixes as I posted them. They will work fine if nothing else is being added to that channel.

Again, if all else fails, reset the model and start again.

I agree the manual is poor and I have complained to Spektrum directly on RCG but seem they don't want to spend the resources to write detailed manuals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in