Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New protos 500 based off v2 protos max?

Any chance the new protos will incorporate the design of the protos max v2? I love the max v2 design but just don't have the time, space, and budget for that bird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 10:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

From what's been said by Corrado and OTS, that's the plan.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

We can only hope and pray
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'd love to see that tail, canopy system, carbon boom with integrated servo mount, two belt system, battery tray, and light weight polymer frames make it into a 500. I'd buy it at the same price as the max v2.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpod View Post
I'd love to see that tail, canopy system, carbon boom with integrated servo mount, two belt system, battery tray, and light weight polymer frames make it into a 500. I'd buy it at the same price as the max v2.
It wouldn't be the smartest thing to price the P500v2 the same as the Max v2. I would expect it to sell between $400-500 with a Brain fbl. Any more and you might as well just get the Max and there wouldn't be any room to price a 550-600 Protos.

XL Protos 380
Jomaba4308 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomaba4308 View Post
Any more and you might as well just get the Max
Not really true, but still...

Also, a Protos v2 might come in motor + ESC combo like the current Protos.
cycled is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomaba4308 View Post
It wouldn't be the smartest thing to price the P500v2 the same as the Max v2. I would expect it to sell between $400-500 with a Brain fbl. Any more and you might as well just get the Max and there wouldn't be any room to price a 550-600 Protos.
Protos max v2 costs more than $699 when you add the light weight polymer frames, power bus, and carbon fiber boom. Probably north of a grand. I'd gladly pay $699 for a protos with brain and all that included.

The air frame cost really shouldn't be much different anyway. The cost difference would be in running 1 battery instead of 2, smaller less powerful servos, 100a lv esc with bec for $70 instead of 160hv with bec for $450, $50 blades instead of $120 blades, and $100 motor instead of $250 motor. I'm looking at $800 less to get a 500 in the air than the 700 if the frames cost the same, actually way more than that because I already have all the electronics for the 500. I'd really like to get the air frame with all the extras for the same price as the max v2 though.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Protos max v2 costs more than $699 when you add the light weight polymer frames, power bus, and carbon fiber boom. Probably north of a grand. I'd gladly pay $699 for a protos with brain and all that included.

The air frame cost really shouldn't be much different anyway. The cost difference would be in running 1 battery instead of 2, smaller less powerful servos, 100a lv esc with bec for $70 instead of 160hv with bec for $450, $50 blades instead of $120 blades, and $100 motor instead of $250 motor. I'm looking at $800 less to get a 500 in the air than the 700 if the frames cost the same, actually way more than that because I already have all the electronics for the 500. I'd really like to get the air frame with all the extras for the same price as the max v2 though.
It seems that the MSH approach is to release a base heli at a really good value, then allow users to outfit or upgrade as they see fit. With that said, I would like to see the same approach to the 500.

Ill buy my base model, and you can bring yours, and others can build it somewhere in the middle
Old 10-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

count me in ,,, protos500 v2
Xfreak3D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2015, 01:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Would it come stretched as a truer 500?
weru is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 07:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Listening, but not understanding the logic. None of the upgrades are needed. They are all nice to have. Each upgrade is significantly more expensive then the stock part. The stock bottom frame is about $30, the Ultralight is $55. If it were part of the kit, the cost of the kit increases proportionately.

As an example, the ultralight frame uses very expensive materials to save 110g weight. It doesn't make sense to burden the kit with this. Since for 99% of the guys, 110g doesn't make a big difference.

For the Carbon fiber boom. 100% not needed. It's a $150 hand made pure CF part. It's gorgeous. Gets rid of the supports. 95% of max owners don't want the kit cost to increase for it to be a standard part. The stock boom is $17.

$699 with Brain is almost half what the primary competition charges for a kit. Yet it has no compromises. The upgrades are nice to have things. None are essential.

So asking $699 for a kit including another $200 in BOM costs is like asking for the kit to be <$500 for a world class competition ready 700.

I think we want companies to make some $$ so they can design new stuff we all want in the future. It doesn't make any sense to say the max costs >$1000 when exactly zero of the upgrades are actually needed. They are just awesome innovative upgrades you may want. Because we designed them that way. Up to you if you buy them or not.

My 2c.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 08:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

They should leave the 500 and the Mini alone, they are fine as is, just build a 550 or 600 with the Max's drive.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

The voice of one among many has risen.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
Listening, but not understanding the logic. None of the upgrades are needed. They are all nice to have. Each upgrade is significantly more expensive then the stock part. The stock bottom frame is about $30, the Ultralight is $55. If it were part of the kit, the cost of the kit increases proportionately.

As an example, the ultralight frame uses very expensive materials to save 110g weight. It doesn't make sense to burden the kit with this. Since for 99% of the guys, 110g doesn't make a big difference.

For the Carbon fiber boom. 100% not needed. It's a $150 hand made pure CF part. It's gorgeous. Gets rid of the supports. 95% of max owners don't want the kit cost to increase for it to be a standard part. The stock boom is $17.

$699 with Brain is almost half what the primary competition charges for a kit. Yet it has no compromises. The upgrades are nice to have things. None are essential.

So asking $699 for a kit including another $200 in BOM costs is like asking for the kit to be <$500 for a world class competition ready 700.

I think we want companies to make some $$ so they can design new stuff we all want in the future. It doesn't make any sense to say the max costs >$1000 when exactly zero of the upgrades are actually needed. They are just awesome innovative upgrades you may want. Because we designed them that way. Up to you if you buy them or not.

My 2c.
So true.. you cant make everyone happy. jus be the happy flier and support the hobby.
If you buy a mercedes, you hv c200,c250,c300 to choose.. its all your choice and budget.
Look at x7, g700 they are far more higher price than max v2. And no fbl given.i was chcking out on the choronos, it was few hundred more than Maxv2.

With this price.. i think protos has done superbly well . No profit, how does one engineer have motivation to create more new stuffs. Protos v2 is a fell in love at first sight.

I am stil waiting ny unit to arrive.. waiting patiently..
Old 11-04-2015, 10:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

My 2c.
Sorry, think my post came across wrong. I agree the 700 v2 is a steal and none of the upgrades are needed. I was just saying I'd definitely buy a 500 at the 699 price if it already included the cool but not necessary options.

I also agree that the current 500 is a sweet heli. I was just stating that I really like the design of the 700 v2 but like the 500 size and electronics pricing so a 700 v2 shrunken to a 500 would be ideal for me... not everyone else though.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:51 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
$699 with Brain is almost half what the primary competition charges for a kit. Yet it has no compromises.
That may be so but I will only buy a kit alone without FBL unit. If they force us to buy a combo with Brain then I'm out.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahbouni View Post
That may be so but I will only buy a kit alone without FBL unit. If they force us to buy a combo with Brain then I'm out.
If I were msh, I would offer the kit alone for $699 to appease those that fly another fbl brand. They can't complain about the price since it is still cheaper than most kits. And msh could just say that the brain is optionally free when you buy a Max v2.

A mikado 690sx is $100 more and it's not even a fair comparison.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexf1852 View Post
If I were msh, I would offer the kit alone for $699 to appease those that fly another fbl brand. They can't complain about the price since it is still cheaper than most kits. And msh could just say that the brain is optionally free when you buy a Max v2.

If they sell the bare V2 for $700 then I'm out. The V1 is $650 with motor, esc and Brain, I'm not paying $700 for the V2 with nothing. Not to mention when the Max V2 came out there was a significant price drop.

XL Protos 380
Jomaba4308 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2015, 10:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexf1852 View Post

They can price it at whatever they have to price it at. I don't expect anyone to work for free. But lets not kid ourselves. There will never be a free FBL unit. Whichever way you market it, the cost of it is still factored into the total price.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Quote:
They can price it at whatever they have to price it at. I don't expect anyone to work for free. But lets not kid ourselves. There will never be a free FBL unit. Whichever way you market it, the cost of it is still factored into the total price.
Probably your base assumption is that the retail price would drop significantly if the brain were removed from the kit. Unfortunately it wouldn't. Manufacturers look at the total kit margins, and decide how to price it. The cost to make any FBL controller physical hardware is extremely low ( irrespective of the system we are talking about). But it takes 4 years+ to develop one to the level of the Brain assuming you have talented and passionate people. For MSH this is 3-4 full time software engineers. So huge development costs.

But when looking at the kit pricing, you look at the total margin. So if a no brain kit were sold, no one would buy it. Since they would always end up far ahead by selling the Brain if they don't intend to use it. It wouldn't make any sense as a product.

MSH is in a unique position where it has one of the best FBL systems in existence. Makes sense to leverage that when possible to improve the value of it's airframes.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in