Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default little FBL help..

Just got my 3G FBL head in. going to install it tomorrow. after reading the 3g manual, have some questions.
BTW i will be using a BEAST X with this 3G Head.

1. Manual states to use the ball links that come with the 3G kit, are they somehow different than the ones from the normal ESP kit?

2. the manual states 21mm between ball links on the servo to swash plate linkages. is this correct?(reason I ask is people have stated the length on the ESP kit manual are wrong)

3. the 3G manual states to put the ball ends on the servo arms in the holes that are 2nd one out from the center. yes or leave them according to the ESP manual?

4. Any other tips or tricks to setting up FBL on the 500??

thanks again guys..
FurryTrex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I found all the link lengths to be perfect in the ESP/3G manual.. I'm away from home today, but I can measure them for you if someone else doesn't chime in.. I think the error was only in the standard ESP manual..
Geardaddy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i have my links per the manual and when i center the servos the blade pitch is way off. i dont think the manual is correct. i still need to get my esc back before i can set up this unit so i do nothave the correct length to give you.

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The lengths for the long links from the swash to the grips are correct IF you have the old main shaft. If you have the new shorter FBL main shaft then it is 5 mm shorter.

The links from the servos to swash should be closer to 19.5 mm

With the FB kits it was 4-6 turns you needed to shorten the links. I found when I did the 3G conversion the shorter length was still correct.

To really confuse you I found when I later switched to the shorter FBL main shaft I needed to shorten the lengths of all the links again.

Start with the links as per the manual. With the servos at 90 at mid stick (with a linear pitch curve) first check for 0 pitch, and adjust the grip links accordingly. Then measure pitch at hi and low stick. If they are not equal you will need to lower the swash up shortening the servo/swash links a few turns. You will then need to reset the grip links for zero pitch at mid stick.

Keep repeating until you get even pitch throws at high and low stick.

It all sounds like a PITA but in the end it will all be worth while. The better you get the mechanical setup the better the FBL controller will work, and the better the heli will fly.
Deet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deet View Post
The lengths for the long links from the swash to the grips are correct IF you have the old main shaft. If you have the new shorter FBL main shaft then it is 5 mm shorter.

The links from the servos to swash should be closer to 19.5 mm

With the FB kits it was 4-6 turns you needed to shorten the links. I found when I did the 3G conversion the shorter length was still correct.

To really confuse you I found when I later switched to the shorter FBL main shaft I needed to shorten the lengths of all the links again.

Start with the links as per the manual. With the servos at 90 at mid stick (with a linear pitch curve) first check for 0 pitch, and adjust the grip links accordingly. Then measure pitch at hi and low stick. If they are not equal you will need to lower the swash up shortening the servo/swash links a few turns. You will then need to reset the grip links for zero pitch at mid stick.

Keep repeating until you get even pitch throws at high and low stick.

It all sounds like a PITA but in the end it will all be worth while. The better you get the mechanical setup the better the FBL controller will work, and the better the heli will fly.
so you can use the stock shafts or the FBL main shaft ???, i guess i bought the short ones for nothing..

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

man o man. i am lost now.. do i have to buy a shorter main shaft now as well??
FurryTrex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No, you don't need the shorter shaft, in fact I don't think it makes any difference except all the links need to be shorter.

I swapped to the shorter shaft only because I got a set of them in with a pack of parts I bought 2nd hand. The helis was already apart at the time so I figured I would swap over to the shorter version.

IF you happen to bin the heli and need a new main shaft then switch to the FBL one but in the meantime don't change it for the sake of it.

I only mentioned the shorter shaft because I assume that the 500 ESP 3G combo may ship with that part now.
Deet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

the shorter shafts cost more money, i guess they make you think you need it so they can charge more for it. lol

Old 02-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Swash ballinks used on the 3G are shorter and is used for the uplinks to the blade holders. This combined with 21mm on the servo arms gives the correct mechanical gain and servo resolution.

With a RX battery pack attached to the RX, prevents BEC overheating in the ESC, do the setup as per instrucrions. There are good tips in the 3G specific forum here on Helifreak.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

damn, i dont have the 3G swash plate so my balls are too long. lol

Old 02-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
3. the 3G manual states to put the ball ends on the servo arms in the holes that are 2nd one out from the center. yes or leave them according to the ESP manual?
The 3g instructions are correct for this. The balls should be on the second hole of the control arm. approx 16mm. This provides more resolution for the FBL unit 3G or not. Most FBL unit instr suggest this.
TREX 700E FBL, SK720, 12S, Scorpion Comm 130A ESC & 4035-500 , 12T, WR Bec
Tisondm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in