Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default IP Cameras for video downlink??

I have a contact here in NZ who supply IP (internet Protocol) cameras for servailance i was wondering if they would be any good as a video down link.

I was wondering how good they would be as a long range video link as you could hop from one wifi hot point to the next (not sure if this is possible or not)
Has anyone every tryed using an IP camera as a down link and using wifi direct on to a lap top? What are the limitations compared to standard video down links?
krattwell@clear.net.nz
Photo Higher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Can you borrow one?

My first reaction is:
Big, heavy, expensive and very limited range.

The commercial/surveillance wireless IP cameras I have seen are pretty large and heavy not to mention expensive. They also have a pretty limited range.

As to jumping from hot-spot to hot-spot, it would probably do that reasonable well. Remember wireless IP is NOT cellular. That is, there is no hand-off protocol. As it moved around, it would establish new connections with each transceiver. You might not notice that in realtime but, recording might be a problem. Lastly, every one of these systems I've seen have a 1/4 to 1/2 second delay. That might be a problem for flying.

However, if you can borrow one go ahead and try it.
jrohland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for your input. The company i have been talking to are keen to put one of their cameras on the helicopter so i will give it a try and will post the results. When i was talking to them they said that there was no delay and that the cameras were small and they have been getting good range up to 30km (with a directional antenna) So we will have to see.
krattwell@clear.net.nz
Old 05-13-2009, 01:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What camera are we talking about here? I'm interested in the same solution but I will try to use a cellphone (with wifi) as a "what the camera see" monitor. A iPhone would fit nicely on top of the transmitter!

//Per, Sweden
perelo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by perelo View Post
What camera are we talking about here? I'm interested in the same solution but I will try to use a cellphone (with wifi) as a "what the camera see" monitor. A iPhone would fit nicely on top of the transmitter!

//Per, Sweden
+1
For older Excel http://www.eagleraceteam.com/Heli Configuration Tracker_Old Excel.xls
Smokytyrz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Ethernet transmitter’s receivers are not big and heavy they are actually very small and high power. The advantage I can see is that they are cheaper and you have a huge variety of antenor's to choose from. The signal is also digital.

The only problem is that I am trying to find a converter to convert a composite video signal to a digital Ethernet signal which can be sent over a wireless network. Does anyone know more about this technology who may be able to help out?

This is what I am wanting to use:
Transmitter - http://www.gowifi.co.nz/WISP-Client-...owifi.tpl.html
Receiver - http://www.gowifi.co.nz/WISP-Client-...owifi.tpl.html

The receiver can plug straight in to a laptop or it can be converted back in to a composite video and displayed on your video goggles etc.

Please if somebody knows a bit more about this technology let me know if I have this all wrong?
krattwell@clear.net.nz
Old 05-15-2009, 07:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Seems unnecessarily complicated

Since you can buy 2.4Ghz NTSC/PAL A/V transmitters and receivers, your plan as I understand it looks unnecessarily complicated. If you plan to send a digitized stream this might be a good option. If all you are sending is analog audio and video, there are easier ways.

Anyway, keep us updated. If you get this working it might be possible to send A/V and telemetry from the aircraft and servo control to the aircraft through the single 802.3x connection. That would be nice to have.
jrohland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 03:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can anyone see what other disadvantages there could be going digital?

Does anyone know what complications there are in converting a video overlay signal eg. CCD camera with Eagle tree OSD Pro converted to digital?

If there are any IP wisses please give us your feedback?
krattwell@clear.net.nz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in