Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Convince Me

So for a next heli I was considering a Blade 400 with SportBEC, Corona ds919mgs (cyclic), JR DS290g (tail), and rest stock. My other choice is a Trex 250 SE with Hitec HS-65 HBs (cyclic), JR DS290g (tail), stock motor and ESC, and an E-flite G110 gyro or Dynam GY192. The prices are comparable so why a TREX?
Prôtos 700
Xtreme-Production
SYMAWD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Because it's not an E-Flite?
Inverse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

E-flite has product support warranty and LHS availability though
Prôtos 700
Xtreme-Production
SYMAWD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

um symawd i just left the sr and came to the great world of the little 250se. if you think the sr was fun, you have no idea how much fun you r missing. this little bugger gets around quick. im sure align has customer support also. and there parts are easy to get. the quality is no comparison.my setup in mine is hitec 65kb cyclics, jr 3500g tail servo, spartan quark gyro, hyperion 850mah batteries. fun,fun,fun. you can fly this just about anywhere.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The trex will fly better in the end for less money, and crashes (once you learn to minimize damage with TH) will have less extensive damage. I have, and still fly often, a blade 400. Problem is to make it fly well and consistently in demanding manuevers, you really have to ditch the e-flite bits for upgrades, pretty much all of them wind up being replaced with align parts anyway so... The trex 250se combo will take you much further in your flight progression before needing upgrades. Definitly get the combo with the align gyro, putting an e-flite 110 gyro on is asking for fails. HS65 servos will do nicely to if you want to get a bare kit and fit it yourself but there will always be time for upgrades later so I would go with the super combo.
-Phillip Johnson, AMA #954735
LegndarySaiyan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am just now finishing a rebuild on a used 250 that I bought.I had quite a time of it, getting all the bugs worked out.I am setting this heli up for my son and brother to fly.My son is just beginning cp flight and my bro is very good with the big nitro's only he has very little small electric experience...I have programmed 30% expo into the tx,and I added flybar weights..This little guy flies itself (practically) I cannot believe the difference compared to my other rexy that is set up for maximum control..I also have a B-400 ,atrex 450 and a rappy-30 and I will say that the "tame" 250 is the easiest one out of all of them to fly ..So there is my .22 cents...If I rambled too much sorry ..But get the 250 you will NOT regret it..
Old 07-18-2010, 11:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My T250 flies twice as good as my b400 did. Easier to repair too.

It is harder to see, however.
Snuts is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2010, 11:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

get the trex 250 it rocks!!!!!!!!!
kfactor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2010, 11:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
dze
Registered Users

the trex i think is a better chopper between the two simply from a quality standpoint and its not really a choice there .. compare to an align 450 and it would be more of a choice and it then would boil down to where your normal flying area is .. if you normally fly in a large area the 250 will be secondary at least it would be for me and i would rather fly a 400-450 size, also for training a larger heli is better and a smaller one can be alot of fun when your to the confident point and can 'tighten it up' .. for everyday flying in a goodsized backyard the 250 is a no-brainer though ..
dze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 05:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Trex 250 is much cheaper to fly. I have owned both helis and, in a crash, the repair costs of the 250 is far less expensive than the 400. I don't even want to start listing all of the parts that break on the blade 400 during a crash.

As stated before, the 250 is also much better quality. The layout of components is on the machine is much better.

As for support, I have found that the best support that you'll ever find is here on this forum. My LHS's (I have two close to me) are rarely helpful in the area of heli information. Regarding E-flight support, don't bother. Even if you get the 400, you'll find that the support here in the 400 threads is much better than that.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
TBK
Registered Users

T-REX 250 !!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
So for a next heli I was considering a Blade 400 with SportBEC, Corona ds919mgs (cyclic), JR DS290g (tail), and rest stock. My other choice is a Trex 250 SE with Hitec HS-65 HBs (cyclic), JR DS290g (tail), stock motor and ESC, and an E-flite G110 gyro or Dynam GY192. The prices are comparable so why a TREX?
So you come into a T-Rex 250 forum and ask whether T-Rex 250 or a Blade 400 and you actually expect people to recommend a blade 400? Why don't you go into the Mikado forum and ask them if you should buy a T-Rex or a Logo 500?

I recently purchased the 250. I bought it to use as a spare between crashes with my 500... and for the fact that it can fly in smaller spaces. I like the heli but it does have tail issues which can be worked out in 100's of ways. If you are very picky about your tail holding then keep this in mind. However, I would definitely think it's better than a blade.
SteelPE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 755 robert View Post
...I have programmed 30% expo into the tx,and I added flybar weights..This little guy flies itself (practically) I cannot believe the difference compared to my other rexy that is set up for maximum control..I also have a B-400 ,atrex 450 and a rappy-30 and I will say that the "tame" 250 is the easiest one out of all of them to fly .
I just got one and really like it. I also have a B400.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but your comment caught my attention. I have been experimenting with different TX settings and also added FB weights, but mine doesn't seem any tamer than the B400. The other day I compared it to my buddy's Blade SR, too and the 250 still seems more squirrely. What throttle and pitch curves are you using? Thanks.
Jazzjohn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jazzjohn,

Aside from flybar weights, one of the most significant settings in taming the 250 is your swash mix. I'm currently at 55/55/55 which suits my 'easy' sport flying style. However, to tame it even more, try AILE and ELEV at 40-45. Pitch at 55 gives me right at +/- 11 degrees pitch. (BTW- Don't try a roll with AILE and ELEV settings at 40-45! )

I personally don't like a lot of expo, so I've got mine at A +17 / E +17 / R INH.
Finskeeper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

250 all the way. Moved up to a Blade 400 from a HoneyBee FP and didn't like it. I was advised to get the 250 and have never looked back. Fly iy anywhere and even in winds, she is easily flyable once you get the feel of her. You don;t tend to break much in a crash unless it's full on at full speed because she is light and the blades carry very little enertia. A basic crash sets me back about $15 and I've only had 2 crashes in over 70 flights. Have the swash mix low, add expo, add flybar weights, have little neg pitch at the start and even training gear of you want. Set up right, this thing is stable and is a dream to fly.

Cheers, OD.

If you make a mistake and learn from it, that's progress

2 x Nano heli's - now passed on to Megan, HoneyBee V1.....Awaiting test flight, T-Rex 250 V1, Hitec 5084MG tail servo, DX6i, Walkera 4#3A (it's in fairly good hands Bugster).
oliverdots is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is a JOKE, right?

I had a 400 and am glad I did, but you really can't compare it to a T-Rex 250 can you?

Get the 250, put some flybar weights on it and never, never look back.

Craig

T-Rex 600N | T-Rex 500 ESP | T-Rex 500 GF | T-Rex 250 (Love this little bird) | 22 year old Shuttle ZXX
Ozz58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finskeeper View Post
Jazzjohn,

Aside from flybar weights, one of the most significant settings in taming the 250 is your swash mix. I'm currently at 55/55/55 which suits my 'easy' sport flying style. However, to tame it even more, try AILE and ELEV at 40-45. Pitch at 55 gives me right at +/- 11 degrees pitch. (BTW- Don't try a roll with AILE and ELEV settings at 40-45! )

I personally don't like a lot of expo, so I've got mine at A +17 / E +17 / R INH.
I already have the AILE and ELEV at 35! The twitchyness now is mostly in the vertical. That is, it hops up and down very quickly. Would lowering the pitch mix help?

I don't mind it the way it flies now, but I am trying to really tame it down for a buddy coming from an SR.
Jazzjohn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 11:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzjohn View Post
I already have the AILE and ELEV at 35! The twitchyness now is mostly in the vertical. That is, it hops up and down very quickly. Would lowering the pitch mix help?

I don't mind it the way it flies now, but I am trying to really tame it down for a buddy coming from an SR.
---

You can tame vertical in a couple ways: lower your pitch swash mix, or... lower your throttle and pitch curves (preferred), or lower your servo travel endpoints. Some people are happy with throttle curve maxed at 70%-80%.

However, there's a huge downside to taming your heli too much. The downside to all of this is that if the heli gets into trouble, you won't have enough cyclic or pitch control to correct it. I simply think good stick management is the best solution, especially if you are now only concerned about the throttle. (It's an easy stick to manage.)
Finskeeper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 11:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelPE View Post
but it does have tail issues
Bind free tail + ino-lab D201 + Quark = no tail issues.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzjohn View Post
That is, it hops up and down very quickly. Would lowering the pitch mix help?
Leave the pitch where it is and invest in a set of plastic or GRP blades, this'll tame the heli down heaps without losing too much stick authority.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in