Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Nitro Helicopters

700 Class Nitro Helicopters 700 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2015, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question Lynx clutch vs Align clutch??

OWB went out on the align clutch, seems like this is is a common issue as the two previous owners of this heli had the same problem. No luck getting the bearing out so i guess I will buy a new clutch for now. Is the bearing in the lynx better quality? The previous owner had a lynx clutch at one point but a arm snapped off it, is that common with the lynx? Definitely don't want it if it's weak. Trying to decide which one i should get.
RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2015, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lynx clutches use high quality Japanese bearings. I run one on my ys120 setup and it pulls hard on the 8.0 ratio and rail 716 blades. No issues. Like any new clutch, a proper break in period is required and make sure you lube the bearing well with light oil prior to final assembly.

Also, I would suggest using the new style Blue clutch liner from Align as its a bit thicker. My Lynx clutch dropped right in with perfect runout with the blue liner. If you use the old thinner black liner or let the liner wear too thin before replacing it, it will cause the shoes of the clutch to need to flex further out to make contact with the liner before engaging it. This kind of stress can certainly cause a shoe to snap like you mentioned on any clutch. I replace liners every flying season or 100 flights or so.
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the info, I do have a blue align liner in there right now so I'm assuming its the one your talking about. My buddy said he had a lynx liner but replaced it as it was to thin with the align clutch. Must of been worn out and thats why the clutch broke. I guess I'll get a lynx clutch then. I have a ys120 too
RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The main reason the leafs will break off from the clutch is that the liner is worn out.
This allows the leafs to over extend.
If you try to bend them back the next time you finally replace the liner, they might crack a little.
Then, the next flight, the leaf breaks off

I fly the Lynx on my YS 120SR-X and the found one of the last ones for my 600N (YS 60SR).

If you are stripping the OWB on the clutch, I would suspect the starter (the Align starter is awful for the big motors - it is like a hammer-drill instead of nice and linear)

I would also suspect hydro-locking.
Too much oil in the cylinder for the first start of the day or a leaking regulator.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2015, 03:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Provided the gap is set correctly, a stock align clutch is really all you need. Watch the Darrick Checkas you tube video for the how too.
Align T-Rex Nitro Clutch Assembly Tips (11 min 31 sec)
Triple-D TJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the liner you are talking about hn7040a? My clutch is slipping so im going to just do new clutch and liner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in