Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4G6 / V120 Series

4G6 / V120 Series Walkera 4G6 / V120 Series Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lightbulb Parts Failure Log

In light of recent discussions about the quality of parts and the suggestion of a tiered parts QC system, maybe we can get a sticky on this thread and use it as log.

I suggest we standardize the log in such a format:

Part Description - Part Number - Mfg (Walkera/HeliMax) - Date Received - Vendor - Quality (Poor - Acceptable - Good)

Maybe we can determine if there really is a 'tiered' system and help a few people out when making their replacement parts purchases.

Thoughts? If there's enough agreement --- let's get a mod to sticky this.

Last edited by Jeff_Barrett; 09-14-2010 at 08:52 PM..
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Should maybe add which vendor it was bought from too.
JossyRC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Intial post changed.... good idea Jossy.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Aw, come on guys. This is getting just a little too anal. Flying, tinkering with, and posting about the 4G6 is supposed to be fun (almost as much fun as dispensing ridicule on this forum), not a daily chore. Now you're assigning homework? Next, we'll be required to write essays: Why I love (or hate) my 4G6.

What's the purpose of this? Who cares if the Helimax shaft is a tiny bit better than the Walkera shaft (or vice versa). They all come from a factory in China and are relatively cheap by most standards. Just replace the broken part already, don't obsess over it.
all-thumbs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Optional ....

It was just an idea ... but if you're not into it ... no worries.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

4G6 bought last Feb 2010

My list goes like this, first being the most replaced item(stock):

1. Foam blades (rc711.com) - every crash
2. Main shaft and flybar (rc711.com) - after 10th crash if good quality
3. Front tail gear (rc711.com) - if you crash tail first
4. CNC head (rc711.com) - distorts in first major crash but still flyable
5. Plastic head (rc711.com) - gets soft after several crashes
6. CCPM servos (rc711.com and clubheli.com) - replace every month if you fly daily and you crash
7. Tail servo (rc711.com and clubheli.com) - every 4 months, longer if you don't crash
8. Rudder servo push rod (rc711.com) - easy to bend back to shape but very easy to loose! Can be thrown off in some crashes.

With my crash proofing mods:

Only 5, 6, 7, and 8 is applicable. #6 becomes every 2 months or longer especially if you use the plastic Walkera swashplate.

I have yet to replace/repair parts I did not mention.

timewerx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 12:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by all-thumbs View Post
Aw, come on guys. This is getting just a little too anal. Flying, tinkering with, and posting about the 4G6 is supposed to be fun (almost as much fun as dispensing ridicule on this forum), not a daily chore. Now you're assigning homework? Next, we'll be required to write essays: Why I love (or hate) my 4G6.

What's the purpose of this? Who cares if the Helimax shaft is a tiny bit better than the Walkera shaft (or vice versa). They all come from a factory in China and are relatively cheap by most standards. Just replace the broken part already, don't obsess over it.
The reason being... there have been more than a few times that I have bought parts that were simply unusable. There are tiers to the walkera parts which you can tell by the package label (english only, english + bar code, english +chinese+barcode). Nothing sucks more than to have a downed heli waiting for parts, to the recieve parts that don't get you back in the air - or at least dont keep you in the air for long.

A prime example are the airy feathering shafts (in a pack of 5 from helipal) they will bend before the blade tips break on a mild blade scrape from tilting during take-off. On a harder crash say clipping something with the blades - the shaft will actually break at the threading, ussually it bends enough to keep the blade from flying off. I have found the same thing with the shafts I've gotten from WOW - but yet I'm still on the same stock shaft from helipal that has survived many crashes... this sort of thing is good to know.

It is buyer beware out there re QC of the parts to if you come across something like that you can post it here so that someone else doesn't go through the same frustration and visa versa.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I thought the airy feathering shafts were supposed to be better than the Walkera FS?
Or are they just sold in a multiple pack because they bend so easily?

nano CPX - nano CPX BL - 2 x MCPX V1 BL - 2 x MCPX BL - 230S - MQX - Gaui 330X - 4G6V-FBL - 4G6V - cX450pro - T450pro - T500 DFC - Gaui EP550 FBL
xs4reak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 01:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JossyRC View Post
The reason being... there have been more than a few times that I have bought parts that were simply unusable. There are tiers to the walkera parts which you can tell by the package label (english only, english + bar code, english +chinese+barcode). Nothing sucks more than to have a downed heli waiting for parts, to the recieve parts that don't get you back in the air - or at least dont keep you in the air for long.

A prime example are the airy feathering shafts (in a pack of 5 from helipal) they will bend before the blade tips break on a mild blade scrape from tilting during take-off. On a harder crash say clipping something with the blades - the shaft will actually break at the threading, ussually it bends enough to keep the blade from flying off. I have found the same thing with the shafts I've gotten from WOW - but yet I'm still on the same stock shaft from helipal that has survived many crashes... this sort of thing is good to know.

It is buyer beware out there re QC of the parts to if you come across something like that you can post it here so that someone else doesn't go through the same frustration and visa versa.

I wouldnt have believed you with the thread breaking off until it happened to me just a few hours ago on the stock walkera shaft. I was landing while it was a bit windy and the blades lightly scuffed my carpet landing pad.. It didnt even sound or look like it was gonna be bad cause it balance back onto it's skid but then a blade flew!!

Upon examining and finding what i could find... The shaft cracked on the threads and the screw broke off. It sent the whole blade grip flying with one of my links. The other link is lost. Broke a ball off the swashplate. And cant I find the washer/spacer. Had to order a v120d02 feathering shaft to get the washer and screw..

The funny thing is that it was the end that i did not shorten that broke
Intact is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 06:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think this is a good idea to have a central log of bad quality parts purchased. I can definately say steer clear of the HM-4#6-Z-12 landing gear -they break if you sneeze on them.Supposedly these where version 2. Wow lists a version 3 now Z-13 I think that is supposed to be improved. Anybody have any experience with these yet?
Mark
nute53 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 07:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

nute... I have a new set of landing gear on its way from clubheli ... as amp would say ... "I AUGERED IT MAN!!" LOL!!!

I'm not going to mention the parts that broked due to my own stupidity when I used the wrong screw on a feathering shaft because I was so determined to fly my 125CP that day....

1. Foam Main Blades - (LHS, eBay) - HeliMax/Walkera/? - Can usually survive minor crashes with scotch tape applied to tips before flight. Seem consistent.
2. Main Shaft - (LHS) - HeliMax - Only bent one so far and have had many crashes on them without damage.
3. Feathering Shaft - (LHS) - HeliMax - Only bent one so far (same day as main shaft) and never had a problem yet.
4. Skid - (LHS) - HeliMax - Broke my second set just the other day in a mishap. Have the new V3 skid coming form ClubHeli.
5. Tail Gear - (LHS) - HeliMax - these little gears don't stand a chance. I replaced mine with Wolfgangs and applied tail clutch mod. Haven't had a problem since.
6. Servo Gear - (TomZ) - Walkera - I broke a tooth on one of the gears in my aileron servo. My own fault and not in a crash.

That's all I can think of .... like I said ..... I've done well.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

Clubheli's skid aren't V3 they are the same as the stock gear. The stock blades from helipal are more solid than WOW`s - WOW`s tend to have allot of cobwebbing under the surface and helpal`s seem to be far more rigid. THe helipal blades lasted, for me around 3 times longer than WOW`s (3 crashes verus 1). Vinyl tape or clear tape works well - however I found covering the blade end (about the last third of the leading edge and about 3mm along the end) to be the charm. I did this on my moth blades and they have survive about a dozen crashes so far - they`re not pretty but they are durable.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intact View Post
I wouldnt have believed you with the thread breaking off until it happened to me just a few hours ago on the stock walkera shaft. I was landing while it was a bit windy and the blades lightly scuffed my carpet landing pad.. It didnt even sound or look like it was gonna be bad cause it balance back onto it's skid but then a blade flew!!

Upon examining and finding what i could find... The shaft cracked on the threads and the screw broke off. It sent the whole blade grip flying with one of my links. The other link is lost. Broke a ball off the swashplate. And cant I find the washer/spacer. Had to order a v120d02 feathering shaft to get the washer and screw..

The funny thing is that it was the end that i did not shorten that broke
Don`t shorten ythe shafts. Rather add a spacer between the dampeners and stepped washers. I, and I know Amp, use old canopy plastic, Timewerx and CC uses the plastic from the parts bags.

The only stock feathering shafts that I have found to be good are from helipal and clubheli. Check your packaging if it has English+chinese+a barcode then they are good quality - if English only they are the worst - Englsh+chinese is touch and go JMHO.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs4reak View Post
I thought the airy feathering shafts were supposed to be better than the Walkera FS?
Or are they just sold in a multiple pack because they bend so easily?
The airy shafts have a greater OD (outer diameter) and take a slightl smaller screw (M1 or something). But are of softer material than the stock ones. The stock ones have a smaller OD with a slightly bigger screw (M1.2) and are a bit tougher. Of course dumping throttle or getting good at hitting throttle hold helps survivability too.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Canuck View Post
nute... I have a new set of landing gear on its way from clubheli ... as amp would say ... "I AUGERED IT MAN!!" LOL!!!

I'm not going to mention the parts that broked due to my own stupidity when I used the wrong screw on a feathering shaft because I was so determined to fly my 125CP that day....

1. Foam Main Blades - (LHS, eBay) - HeliMax/Walkera/? - Can usually survive minor crashes with scotch tape applied to tips before flight. Seem consistent.
2. Main Shaft - (LHS) - HeliMax - Only bent one so far and have had many crashes on them without damage.
3. Feathering Shaft - (LHS) - HeliMax - Only bent one so far (same day as main shaft) and never had a problem yet.
4. Skid - (LHS) - HeliMax - Broke my second set just the other day in a mishap. Have the new V3 skid coming form ClubHeli.
5. Tail Gear - (LHS) - HeliMax - these little gears don't stand a chance. I replaced mine with Wolfgangs and applied tail clutch mod. Haven't had a problem since.
6. Servo Gear - (TomZ) - Walkera - I broke a tooth on one of the gears in my aileron servo. My own fault and not in a crash.

That's all I can think of .... like I said ..... I've done well.
Z-12 gear I got was also from Clubheli,but I don't blame Rick on that one.At the time a couple months ago,I don't think the dealers even knew how bad the quality was on that first generation "improved" gear. Mine was beefed up,& best of all had a wider stance which I liked,but it snapped like a pretzel on the second landing,& after repairing,other side leg broke easily soon after. Plastic was junk.Seems like old style gear has worked out best for me-& I think is lighter.
Have been using the tailgear clutch mod (mentioned many times by various forum posts) & have it up in the 4#6 section. It has worked great-only regret is I waited so long to apply it-could have saved buying 6-7 gear sets :o
Old 09-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

I think the only advantage to the z-13 gear is when you are starting out, it helps prevent tip overs... WOW has Z-13 gear that is made from a softer plastic (like the V 1's) that are supposed to be pretty good.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on the shims. I used to file them...what a PIA! I found that one layer of scotch tape on the large flat side of the step washers is just the right thickness So I stick the step washers on a piece of scotch tape then use a 1.5mm drill to open the center hole, then trim around the washer with a small pair of scissors. Now the shim is attached to the step washer

YMMV, Don

Quote:
Don`t shorten ythe shafts. Rather add a spacer between the dampeners and stepped washers. I, and I know Amp, use old canopy plastic, Timewerx and CC uses the plastic from the parts bags.

The only stock feathering shafts that I have found to be good are from helipal and clubheli. Check your packaging if it has English+chinese+a barcode then they are good quality - if English only they are the worst - Englsh+chinese is touch and go JMHO.
dbennettya is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Clubheli's skid aren't V3 they are the same as the stock gear.
https://clubheli.3dcartstores.com/Wa...ON_p_2325.html

Sure looks like the new version to me...

As for the blade tips .. yah ... I scotch tape from the tracking tape to the tip.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nute53 View Post
Z-12 gear I got was also from Clubheli,but I don't blame Rick on that one.At the time a couple months ago,I don't think the dealers even knew how bad the quality was on that first generation "improved" gear.
I'll let you know how my new set from Rick turns out. I've been very happy with ClubHeli. My own complaint is how slow the website can be sometimes...

It's funny ... becausee when I get other shipments out of the US - they take up to 3 weeks. When I get shipments from Rick - they're here in 1 week ... even though he's using the same service. ???
Old 09-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Canuck View Post
I'll let you know how my new set from Rick turns out. I've been very happy with ClubHeli. My own complaint is how slow the website can be sometimes...

It's funny ... becausee when I get other shipments out of the US - they take up to 3 weeks. When I get shipments from Rick - they're here in 1 week ... even though he's using the same service. ???
I bet by now he is carrying the latest v3 gear-I ordered when they first came out a couple months ago & got burned. I agree-Clubheli's service is great & I usually receive my stuff in 3-4 days - but I live in PA,so along with the faster service also have to do the sales tax thing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in