Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General

LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General General Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default LiPo Charging Box

I've seen a few tool boxes outfitted for charging lipos. Assuming the lid is closed and latched during charging (right?) ... does anyone have experience or suggestions on adequately venting a toolbox so the box doesn't become shrapnel when a LiPo goes?

Thoughts on whether metal or plastic makes a better container for electrical components and explosive LiPos?
SamC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Its not when.. but if. It's actually very rare.. there was a poll once and just 4% or so ever had a lipo flame while charging.

Slip them into some of these perhaps.. if you get extensions for the charger leads.

Super cheap! I've seen tests where they blow lipos in various containers and the cement block doesn't even get warm.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Lipo`s A Ticking Time Bomb!

Hi Slyster,
Must have looked at hundreds of articles & threads on the subject of lipo safety and your solution seems a very good oneI only just found your reply.

I will have to try and find some of thee concrete blocks and bases e.t.c. are those lids propped up against the side of the blocks and of course venting shoud not be a problem?if you are unlucky and do have a problem

All the very best From Norway

Steve
1heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My charging box is made from a metal HD tool box and I have built a few more for people from the metal tool box from Lowe's. The lids are not closed during charging, the tool box just makes for a compact solution for carrying your power supplies and chargers. The batteries can be charged in a lipo bag if you want. Here is a picture of my charging rig. It has a built in shelf for holding the batteries while charging.

pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Wish Texas was closer to Norway?

Good Day Paul
Just wanted to congratulate you on a very well thought out piece of kit.I like it a lot and really do wish we lived nearer to each other then maybe I could order one from you.Afraid I am unable to make things for myself due to illness.
I like how neat yor charging rig looks.11/10

All the very best Steve
Old 07-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is too bad. I just checked on shipping by Fedex to Norway for a box similar to mine. It would be $475.00, crazy. I can ship to the lower 48 for a little less than $50.00.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation Crazy Shipping Prices!!

Shipping is in general Crazy today,it is as though they do not want folk to use the service..not just in the US but mots of Europe and Australia it is is in recent years this as happened.Have lost count of the number of items I have not purchased because of the high shipping costs..but there we are

really do thank you and good look with your flying and your charging stations

Best Wishes Steve
Old 07-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1heli View Post
Shipping is in general Crazy today,it is as though they do not want folk to use the service..not just in the US but mots of Europe and Australia it is is in recent years this as happened.
Yup, no more decent value lipos for me...

I can get HK ones (Turnigy and Zippy) or Hyperion and TP (very much not cheap, last time I looked 6S 2650 25C Hyp packs were $100) locally. So only cheap and uber expensive are now available.

I checked shipping for GA packs from the US (used to be ~$50 which was fine if you bought several) it is currently only available through FedEX and was over $250 for 6*6S 3000mah.

Heli parts I can just about manage from the US, shipping is usually <$20 but anything bigger and its up over $100 fast .
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation Ordinary folk will be once again priced out of the market if it continues like it is!

HI desertstalker,
Good To Hear From You.
I can relete very strongly to just about every word you wrote,
Speaking just for Norway if I wish to send a package up to 1 kg it costs me a small fortune and makes most things uneconomic to send.
likewise I order from say Germany and a very small item can cost anything it seems as sellers seem to charge a whole raft of prices and non are cheap.

Suppose we will have to put up with it

all the best Steve
Old 07-24-2012, 07:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Smile

My charging setup is as below. There is no way I'd charge with it closed either. That's just asking for trouble, not only for the batteries but the power supply and chargers as well.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Hope I am not going to sound to dum?

Hi PHANTMXR6

Now you can call me a dum son of a whatsit,but should the worst happens in your set up are you not going to loose a lot of expensive equipment and the Plastic will melt

otherwise it looks a very neat set up
cheers Steve
Old 07-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Smile

Nah, all good Steve. I just put the packs in the case for the purpose of the picture.
Normally they sit on the outside of the case. My case normally houses 6 5000mah 6S, 2 4000mah 3S, 1 2200mah 2S and all my leads for charging.
I take all my gear out and never leave the case out of sight while charging.

But yeah, if the worst was to happen with all the gear in the case........... bye bye $1200+.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking Many Thanks for the explination

Hi Again
many thanks for the explination,I did not wish to appear to dum!
As I said it looks really good and again very neat this is the kind of thing I want(when I begin my journey in to RC Heli`s?
Am I correct is that a plexi-Glass stand which you have there between the chargers & PS?

very best wishes Steve
Old 07-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you charge it with balance cable connected. The charger automatically cut off the charge when one cell is not ok. (never had any fires)

My opinion is that lipo fire can only occurred by wrong charging (no balance or charge it with Nimh mode)
Old 07-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1heli View Post
Hi Again
many thanks for the explination,I did not wish to appear to dum!
As I said it looks really good and again very neat this is the kind of thing I want(when I begin my journey in to RC Heli`s?
Am I correct is that a plexi-Glass stand which you have there between the chargers & PS?

very best wishes Steve
Correct. 2 pieces of acrylic cut to size and joined with a couple of right angle brackets and screws/nuts. The acrylic and screws/nuts are the cheapest components in my case.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6 View Post
Correct. 2 pieces of acrylic cut to size and joined with a couple of right angle brackets and screws/nuts. The acrylic and screws/nuts are the cheapest components in my case.
Thanks for this, how do you have the acrylic attached to the box? And how did you attach the chargers and PS?

Thanks in advance

TheMark is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 01:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Smile

The acrylic is all screwed together with some right angle brackets and is screwed to the back of the box and just gravity plus the weight of the chargers holds the other end down.
The chargers and PSU are held down by velcro.
I still need to get some foam to cut up to suit my batteries for bettery storage though.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Possible NEW Thread:RE-Charger Station Boxs?

The Charger stations featured in this thread are really superb! and their builders deserve a lot of credit.

I wondered if it was worth it starting a new thread so everyone could show there charger stations,sure it would help so many

Just A Thought

Best wishes Steve
Old 07-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Smile

Steve, I believe there are a number of threads with charging cases/stations that you speak of. I've posted in a couple, but they are all over the place.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up Charging Boxes

Good Day PHANTMXR6

Many thanks for that,I should have looked more closely
I can understand that to many threads on the same subject must be a bit annoying to some

best wishes Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in