Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default To keep going after a scare, or call it a day?

This weekend, I attempted my first vertical stall turn with my 450. I rehearsed the stick movements in my head before I attempted it. It turns out that was a really smart thing to do. It went perfectly. The tail snapped around to vertical, locked in and I pulled it out just as pretty as could be.

After flying a bunch of banked figure-eights this morning, I decided to try it again, but skipped the mental rehearsal. The heli was coming right-to-left in front of me, I pulled back on the elevator and stalled it vertically, and then, instead of snapping the rudder, my thumbs decided to try a banked left turn. I pushed the aileron over about 45 degrees to the left, started drifting the rudder around to coordinate the imaginary turn, added collective to maintain altitude, and then wondered why it was coming straight at me, vertical, nearly tail-down.

I got it punched over and headed away from me and started breathing again. The bark off the bottom of the rotor disc under full collective at close range is a religious experience.

I remember watching it fly away across the field, at a crazy nose down attitude and thinking, "I guess I could try to save it." I got it back under control, brought it back and set it down in one piece.

What do you after a scare like that? Do you pack it up and go home, or continue flying? I decided to fly another battery, just to regain my confidence, and it worked out. But the voice in my head was telling me that was a bad idea.
clough42 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I continue to fly, but only try stuff that I am comfortable with and come back to the skeery unfamiliar maneuver another day. I also try to keep the heli at a distance in the first place, so If things don't work out as planned, hopefully I won't have any hair raising moments.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

continue flying and try the trick again...and crash
tommeke is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

fall off the horse, get right back on, by next week the fear will build
rcflier1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Yep, keep flying as long as you have packs to burn.

On the other hand, I've gone out and found myself mentally fatigued to the point where I am sloppy and not really enjoying myself. Then I pack it up.

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

power down, turn tx off and clean my drawers. Chill with a cold drink for a few then go back and fly...just a lazy flight for no 1 battery. For no 2, battery, step it up a bit.
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
seanh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Keep flying but go back to basics. It sounds like your fingers still aren't 100%
Jerry Moore, AMA #878954,TARANIS OpenTX- Pantera 600 FB - Pantera .60 FB - Takes a licking and keeps on kicking! KISSAM = Keep It Simple Stupid: Affordable, Maintainable -
Visit Early and often - http://open-txu.org
Jermo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i keep going, after about 10 seconds i forget all about it.. when i first started i would set down for 10 or 15 min before i flew again after i had a close call. eventually they wont phase you any more

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

i think (because it has never happened) that if my scare involved the potential for serious injury then i would call it a day. if the worst result is a good story and momentary weak stomach it has never stopped me. sometimes i'll break out something more relaxing - glider, plane, 700.....
koppterx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If I spook myself I generally call it quits. It usually happens after I've been flying for a while so I chalk it up to mental fatigue and decide to quit while I'm ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clough42 View Post
The bark off the bottom of the rotor disc under full collective at close range is a religious experience.
I know right? That's why I'm always working to keep my 500 closer and closer to myself as I improve
deca is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I try again immediately as long as I know what I did wrong...

If it goes haywire and I don't know why, I hit the sim again first!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had my protos do a tail stand about a meter in front of me on take off (FBL system went bit crazy). I thought I was going down, but reflexes took over, continued to fly as normal for the rest of the flight .
AcidDrink is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Keep flying or land until the adrenaline is gone and then keep flying. Fear is a useless emotion and can get in the way of rational thought.
Elgyn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

When I say, "Just one more time." Is when I should quit.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't give up. There is always light at the end of the tunnel. I'll come good for you sooner than you think. Keep going.

Dave
Sent from my iPhone using iFingers

Blade mSR & mCPX | Storm 450 | TREX 450 Pro | TREX 500 ESP | Spektrum DX7 + Phoenix & SIMSTICK | Futaba T8FG Super
Tridztan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

When something like that happen i start flying slow and safe until i feal comfortable enough to try out something new again.
Exo 500
Mr.Andersen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

if it does not scare ya your not flying it! scareing your self is part of the learning curve. just take a little break. go over what you did wrong. mentally correct yourself for the next flight. did you do a stall turn right up in front of yourself? i would only do them at the ends of my flight area im using. never in front of myself. go ever your maneuvers in your head then go fly them. pretty soon youll have a nice routine you can put together and fly.
drakonis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Last time out, on my 14th pack, ( I fly 15 packs between three 500's...) I had an "incident" and one of the birds went in on its side. Second crash in 18 months.. on a newer bird.. bummer....went and picked up the crippled heli, checked it out.. leaned against the tail gate, took a breath, a sigh, a drink of water, .....loaded pack 15 and threw my HC500 around. For me.. a scare or a crash, has GOT to be taken in stride these days.....
My first real crash on a 500 a year and a half ago, really spooked me.. I spent all summer long hovering and stuck.. no progress....no more of that....my skills are much better, and my hands are learning.. so a crash happened.. learn from it.. figure out what happened.. get in the air and break through....
HC500SE ....GO TEAM FLYBAR!
Blayd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Keep flying. It's important not to let yourself continue to be intimidated by your scare, crash, or whatever the case may be and end up holding yourself back. If I crash in the middle of a flight I'll pull the batteries out, stick them in the other machine, and finish the flight. Preferably right back in to whatever I messed upon the last flight.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies.

That's pretty much what I figured. If I stopped at that point, with that being my last experience for the day, I'd be fighting the psychological weight of that my next time out.

So, I took a breath and flew it off. I'm glad I did.
clough42 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in