Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Esmart

Esmart E-Sky Esmart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 07:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Couple of questions about e smart

Well I got a couple of questions about this heli and the first one is can you use the standard rate gyro that comes on the belt cp with the e smart? Second what battery size is required 4s, 5s or even 6s battery and how many mah?
UAV_PILOT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 07:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV_PILOT View Post
Well I got a couple of questions about this heli and the first one is can you use the standard rate gyro that comes on the belt cp with the e smart? Second what battery size is required 4s, 5s or even 6s battery and how many mah?
Not sure about that gyro, someone else will chime in on that. I am using a 401

as for the batts 5 or 6S will do, pretty sure nuttcaze uses 5S. I am using 2 3S 5000mah series together to make 6S.
LockMD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, the gyro will work (just not particularly well, IMO.... I prefer heading hold). 5s or 6s would work fine as well. I am (was) using 2 3s4000 batteries in series for 6s and getting 7 minutes of sport flying with 3200mah put back in.

Sting
sting35 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok cool, also is the stock motor that comes with it pretty strong? I mean with your setup will it lift off into the air like a bat out off hell like some off the other helis on the videos? Or is that just a TREX thing? lol
Old 08-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Cool

Depending how you set them up of course, but YES - the E-Smart can be made to lift off into a vertical climb at a great rate of knots !
Fitting them out with the CNC up-grades ( for less control 'slop' ) and a good set of F/G or C/F main blades improves them as well.
Fitted mine out with 92mm C/F tail blades as well and a set of landing gear from a T.T. Raptor 50 gives a lot more tail clearance and reduces the chances of a tail strike.
The Raptor 50 landing gear lifts the body higher off the ground higher and is a lot stronger and less flexible than the E-Smart from the stock landing gear.
Flip465 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey so what is the differance if I get a battery that has a 15c discharge rate over a 20c?
Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just a guess but I'm not really sure that a ' 15C ' LiPo pack can really give enough power to run the motor of an E-Smart in full flight. ( may be totally wrong of course )
The flight pack of my E-Smart is a ' 30C ' and that drives the motor ONLY - through an Align 100A Brushless ESC.
The Rx and servos are powered by a seperate LiPo pack - a 2S1P 7.4V 1900 mHA /12C pack feeding through a 6A External BEC with a 5.1V step-down voltage regulator to the tail servo.
Now looking at up-grading the Rx pack to a new OUTRAGE XPRX 2S1P 7.4V 3600 mHA. for the Rx pack.
Four top grade digital servos do the job of controlling an e-Smart in flight very well, but with the power, speed and reliabilty they deliver there is a down side - they tend to draw a fair bit of power, a hell of a lot more than say, four 'standard' servos.
On that point, - I fitted three HiTec HS-5965MG servos for my cyclic. On paper, coreless motors, twin ball raced, very strong gears, plenty of power and speed - just the thing for cyclic control wouldn't you think ? - - - WRONG !
One of them burnt out ( REALLY COOKED ! ) its amplifier cct. the first moment it was hooked up and turned on, melted a hole almost all the way through the casing.
Has left a bubbled up section about 1 cm. across on the bottom of the casing - thats how I found out what had happened - that and the distinctive smell of burning ccts.
A replacement of the same brand and model won't 'centre' properly at all each time it is moved.
Two out of four servo failures - all brand new servos - NOT HAPPY AT ALL ! :-(
Hoping it is just a bad batch of servos from HiTec, never had any problems at all with the dozens of them I've used in the past.

Suggest that you go down a few places on this site to the section marked ' BATTERIES AND CHARGING ' Have a read through the second section there - ' LiLon, LiPo, NiCd, MiMh GENERAL ' Think you will find all that you need to know about your battery requirements in that section somewhere. :-)
Old 08-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I will end up running two 3s in series to make a 6s at 4400mah. I will using an 80A ESC with an external UBEC running 6 volts. So if both of my battery packs are 15c would both of them together equal a 30c battery?
Old 08-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

no, they are 15C. if you are going to stick with those packs id only suggest hovering and light FF with a low headspeed. be aware of pack temperatures. if they reccomend an80 amp esc and if you pull 80 amps thats equal to 18 C with your 4.4 amp pack.

id suggest 20C packs minimum.
if i may, id suggest trying them Zippy brand packs everyone is raving over in the Trex600 forum. i may give them a try in my Esmart after i get her flying. the price is right
eightythree is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Well I will end up running two 3s in series to make a 6s at 4400mah. I will using an 80A ESC with an external UBEC running 6 volts. So if both of my battery packs are 15c would both of them together equal a 30c battery?

are both your packs 4400 or are you double 2 2200's? just asking cause series only doubles the voltage. If you are running 2 2200's your air time will be around 3 mins.

I am running 2 zippy's 3S 5000 and get 8 mins max air time.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

whats your headspeed (or throttle curve) and what type of flying on 8min?
eightythree is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 04:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightythree View Post
whats your headspeed (or throttle curve) and what type of flying on 8min?

I'm running a flat 90 curve, flying - just zipping around my SMALL backyard fig 8's above my house to neighbor's house. So not even sport really let alone 3D and when I say max, I mean MAX very very close to the 80% rule. I time my flights for 6 mins and by time I land its usually 7 with a tad to spare to stay within the rule.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah they are gonna be 2200 mah a piece. Is that not enough? So is it better to just but a 6s battery? I was gonna run two 3s to save money.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah they are gonna be 2200 mah a piece. Is that not enough? So is it better to just but a 6s battery? I was gonna run two 3s to save money.

if you run 2200's you have to run 4 to get any kind of flight time. You have to run 2 sets of 2 in parallel to double the mah to get 4400mah then series those ends to double the voltage to get 22.2v

I started out that way and know some that still run her that way, but I dont recommend it. My first ES600 caught on fire in mid air I think one or 2 of the batts were getting rubbed by the nut on the bottom of the stem.

It can be done, but like I say you'll need 4 2200's and just be careful.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Started out using this same battry set-up to save $$$. 4 X 2200mAH LiPo packs ( cheap ones brought on-line from China ) hooked up in series & parallel to give 22.2V at 4400mAH 30C.
When the four packs are put together with their wiring harness, there is VERY little clearance between them and the bottom end of the main shaft - just a couple of mm. Not enough to risk it IMHO.
After all the experiences of other flyer with this sort of set-up, I've now got quite a few SINGLE 11.1V packs for my Belt CP - won't run out of packs for that bird for a while. :-)
Up-grade to a single flight pack for the E-Smart - OUTRAGE XP25 6P1S 22.2V 5000 mAH at 25C.
Not the cheapest of battery packs but they do have a very good reputation - as well as plenty of GRUNT !
Be a lot cheaper to pay out for a really good single battery pack than have to shell out for a whole new bird with all its new electrical gear - Rx, gyro, servos, ESC, BEC, etc, etc. if the multi-pack system decides to go up in flames.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:34 AM   #16 (permalink)

Yeah I now run 2 3S 5000mah in series only and put a strap across the frame so now its impossible for them to come in contact with the stem. still cheaper then a 6S and if I do have a crash and a cell gets damaged I hope to be able to replace 1 3S than a whole 6S.

who knows as time goes on I may upgrade to a single 6S but for now I like my setup.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

True - OutRage XP's are not the cheapest battery packs around thats for sure, typical price seems to be around the US $279.95 per pack, thats the current price from 'HeliDirect'.
There are several other good brands, example Align - 22.2V. 5200mAH. 25C. or Thunder Power eXtreme V2 - 22.2V. 5000mAH. 25C. at around the same price - - - you get what you pay for when it comes to LiPo packs.

There are cheaper brand name with large capacity pack out there too but from what I've read at various on-line R.C. sites, a lot of them don't last all that many recharges cycles before they start dropping off in performance.
OutRage XP packs also come with a 100% cost free manufactures replacement guarantee not too sure how many others offer that - then do actually stand by it.
The other thing that is there hopefully I won't need to use is the 'OutRage crash replacement' deal - 50% discount on a replacement battery if you damage it in a crash within 180 days from purchase is a great bit of $$$ insurance.
The price here in Oz for the same pack, new, is currently AUS $299 - US $260 on todays market. Crash replacement cost is about US $145.

Back to the main point that UAV PILOT asked here - 12C packs for an E-Smart, the battery size & number to make up your flight pack is a matter of personal taste - and 12C packs are cheaper to buy than a 20C or above rated pack - - - BUT you really should go for a 20C - 30C pack, don't think a 12C pack will be able to cut it for the E-Smart. ( IMHO )
Old 08-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok thanks.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use 5S1P 4800mAh 25C's and a 5S1P 4000mAh 25-30C, I fly all of them in Idle up for 7 mins, safe limit, never have to worry about dropping the voltage too low, they were all $99ea from Hobbycity in china

https://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/...00mAh_25C_5S1P

also some nice 6S1P's for $118

https://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/...00mAh_25C_6S1P
nuttcaze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2008, 08:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey will the Esky head lock gyro work for a 600 size heli like the esmart?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in