Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2015, 05:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail setup

Hi folks

I'm new to these bigger birds.

I've got about 24 flights on my 450 so far and have the tail dialed in great for my simple flying in heading hold. I decided to flip over to rate mode to see how it flew and all it did was drift the nose left.

First, does anyone still fly in rate?

Second, should I be setting up the tail to fly rate (ie. setting tail to compensate for toque while at mid travel) , then just let the FBL take care of things in HH? Or just forget rate all together?

Thanks for the info.
TBucket32 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2015, 06:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's all a personal choice. If you want rate mode, you can fine tune. If your drift was fairly slow, you''re close already. Just set neutral with a little more bite on the blades and test fly. Remember to readjust your endpoints for rate and heading hold after you tweak center pitch. Dan
Old 11-14-2015, 07:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think many people fly in rate mode any more. Most don't even adjust in rate mode. They just get it close to center, set the endpoints and let the FBL do the rest.

Like dogbreath said though, it is all personal preference.
Oxy 2, Gaui X3 #1, Protos 380, Gaui X5, Synergy 766, Specter 700
Oxy 2/X3/Protos 380/X5/766/Specter 700 Consecutive Successful Flights (Current) = 32/16/12/145/7/50
Consecutive Successful Flights (Max) = 145
macdad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBucket32 View Post
Hi folks

I'm new to these bigger birds.

I've got about 24 flights on my 450 so far and have the tail dialed in great for my simple flying in heading hold. I decided to flip over to rate mode to see how it flew and all it did was drift the nose left.

First, does anyone still fly in rate?

Second, should I be setting up the tail to fly rate (ie. setting tail to compensate for toque while at mid travel) , then just let the FBL take care of things in HH? Or just forget rate all together?

Thanks for the info.
Set it up right the first time and forget about it.
There should be no drift in Rate Mode then switch to HH mode and adjust end points.
That's the old school with FB gyros.
But I still think that this applies to FBL controllers.
In Rate mode do a few punch ups and see where the tail moves, did you need to compensate? Mhhhh
If set it up right and your head speed is right there should be no need to compensate.
What gyro are you using?
And tail servo?
Some need 3° of pitch on tail blades.

I was flying my 450 in Rate Mode for a long time, without realizing that I need it to switch to HH mode in my Futaba radio ( negative value) and it flew great!
salrica is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2015, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have a zyx-s2. I set zero tail pitch dead center of the slider travel with the servo arm 90 deg to the rod. Set the end points in the FBL controller and then all I had to do was dial in the gain on CH5. Flys great in HH that way.

When I flipped to rate (40% on my DX6i) it just started turning nose left fairly quickly so I immediately flipped back to HH (69%)

I like flipping to rate on the ground to confirm all my servos are working before each flight then flip back to HH before hitting the throttle. That way tail is centered before liftoff and power up.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBucket32 View Post
I have a zyx-s2. I set zero tail pitch dead center of the slider travel with the servo arm 90 deg to the rod. Set the end points in the FBL controller and then all I had to do was dial in the gain on CH5. Flys great in HH that way.

When I flipped to rate (40% on my DX6i) it just started turning nose left fairly quickly so I immediately flipped back to HH (69%)

I like flipping to rate on the ground to confirm all my servos are working before each flight then flip back to HH before hitting the throttle. That way tail is centered before liftoff and power up.
First time I heard someone doing it that way. Not that is wrong or right....
So, I would suggest you to set it up in rate mode.
Gyro has to know center, the Gyro not the tail blades or slider, how do you do that? Bring it to hover on rate mode and if it drifts.... As others are suggesting, you may just need to play with pushrod length to find Gyro center.
Take advantage of your controller, find center position and go and fly it.

No need for switching from rate mode to HH mode, as you give throttle you will compensate accordingly, once on the air you will know that you are always on HH mode

In rate mode is just one servo that is in rate mode, tail servo.
Do you want to know that All servos are working properly? Move the heli one side to the other, then left, right for tail, do it in throttle hold.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wow I feel dumb. I bought the heli used and assembled. I had downloaded the manual and have read it through many times while checking everything over. I just opened the manual again and somehow every time I have read it I must have missed the tail setup section. It's very clear about setting pitch. Please ignore my stupidity.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

We are all stupid.
Until you read and educate your self.

Good thing is to accept it and get better.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

It happens all the time a my age so don't beat yourself up. Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in