Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default proper tail rotor rpm

I know a lot of other things need to be considered but in general what tail rotor rpm is need for proper tail operation in the 450 size? I keep having bounce back, holding, and mushy problems that I don't have on bigger sizes and it might be because I have the main rotor down to 2900 which is a bit slower than designed. I will of course need to look up the gear ratio to get the tail speed but if you know a good speed to shoot for I can adjust to get it.
brianapp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2015, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know exact speeds, but a tail to main rotor ratio of around 5.5:1 - 6:1 is good. At slower head speeds you may even need to go a bit higher (say around 6.5:1).

Hope that helps,

Highspeed
Highspeed1964 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2015, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

It is not the ratio but the actual RPM I am looking for. I want to know if a slow tail rotor is the reason I keep getting tail blow outs when inverted with moderately aggressive collective or cyclic inputs. If I am inverted with just a slight wind if I am not gentle on the collective it will just spin like a top.
brianapp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2015, 11:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianapp View Post
I know a lot of other things need to be considered but in general what tail rotor rpm is need for proper tail operation in the 450 size? I keep having bounce back, holding, and mushy problems that I don't have on bigger sizes and it might be because I have the main rotor down to 2900 which is a bit slower than designed. I will of course need to look up the gear ratio to get the tail speed but if you know a good speed to shoot for I can adjust to get it.
I did not have any problem with the tail on my T-Rex 450Ls at headspeeds of 2600, 2800 and 3000, with FBL controllers Spektrum AR7200BX, Skookum SK-720BK, and Spirit. You must have some problem with your tail setup. The tail linkage and slider must be perfectly free and the ball on the tail servo arm is best move in to 7-8mm from center.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Copy that. I understand what you're looking for. Again, I'm not sure of the RPMs for the tail rotor. However, running lower RPMs in general will give you less control authority on the tail. So it is quite probable that this is why you're having trouble getting the tail to lock in and having blow-outs.

There are two ways to fix this:

1. A higher ratio which will produce higher tail rotor speed.

2. Larger tail rotor blades.

The first is not easily achieved as you'll need different gears. Most models are designed for a specific ratio and you most likely won't be able to find gear sets for anything but what the original design calls for. So the easiest way to improve tail authority/stability is the second option.

For example, if the tail rotor blades are 62mm change them out for something like 67mm. There are a few choices available in rotor blades sizes (certainly more than trying to change the rotor RPM. You may have to experiment with a couple of different sizes to find one that gives the right feel you're looking for.

Highspeed
Highspeed1964 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2015, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you have the Pro size tail blades on? If you put on the Dominator 68mm tail blades, it'll help with your anti torque thrust. Bigger tail disc will scoop more air.

I fly a governed 3000 rpm with my 6s Dominator... and smack it to death.. Rip inverted funnels... Tail holds great. I have the Gpro with the PID gains cranked up and an MKS DS8910A tail servo.

You might also try tuning up your FBL system. PID gains for the tail.
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in