Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > BeastX FBL System

BeastX FBL System BeastX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Mounting question - does it have to be centerline?

I have a friend that wanted to mount his BeastX on the side (vertical mount, not flat like a traditional). The question is; does it need to be perfectly on the centerline, or can it be mounted slightly to the side?

He had it on the outside of the (right) frame (Trex 700E), under the canopy from someone else's recomendation. But I told him he needed it to be mounted closer to the centerline so that the gyro sensing wouldn't be thrown off. If the gyros aren't perfectly on the axis of movement for the gyro, would it still read the same, or is it pretty specific with which way it needs to be mounted? I wanted to see if there were any positive answers about it one way or the other in case I am wrong. A good explanation would be greatly appreciated as well.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't have a good explanation, but I can tell you from first-hand experience that it works perfectly fine mounted to the rear of the left side frame (outside) on a Trex 550. I've also seen photos of a Fusion 50 with it mounted up front, on the side frame. It doesn't seem to care much as long as it's mounted perpendicular to the main shaft.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'll try an explanation Chris. The MB as we know senses rotation. If you put it on the centreline and rotate your heli 5 degrees the MB will rotate through 5 degrees too. If you put it way to one side, on a really fat heli, say a foot to one side, and rotated your heli through 5 degrees, the MB will still rotate through 5 degrees, and it will have taken just as long to do it as it would have done if it were on the centreline. The only difference is that there would have been a translational component as well, but the MB does not sense translation, so as far as the MB is concerned, both these situations are identical.

Does that make any sense?

Cheers

Sutty
sutty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yep, that makes sense!
Old 07-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Ok. I was just concerned with it being set so far off to one side being that a Trex 700 is so wide. He said that others had put theirs on the back of the frame with good results.

Would it make more sense to put it on the inside of the frame for protection? I don't think that would work because of the battery tray slide, but I don't have the first clue how it works since I don't own/fly one personally. I told him he should mount it up on the normal gyro tray behind the battery pack (seems best protected there anyways).

Thanks guys!
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its a pretty solid unit. I suspect any crash that damaged it would destroy pretty much everything else on the heli. I would have to problems with mounting it on the side of the frame especially since you want easy access for programming.
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in