Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > Heli-Max Helicopters

Heli-Max Helicopters Heli-Max Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Heli-Max Axe CPv3

Hello everyone,
I have read many of the threads here and have not seen any on the Heli-max Helis. Does anyone know of any? Also I would like to get some info from anyone that has worked with this brand to give me some ideas as to what they think about it. I am just getting started in this hobby and have bought one of the CPv3's. I am saving up for the Align T-Rex 450 and also need to purchase a Radio. So until then I am learning the Axe CPv3. So Far I have flew very little and crashed a whole lot. But I do have a sim that I work on every chance I get. Thanks.
Rsplash93 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good morning Rsplash93, for what it's worth, I started with an Axe CP (the version prior to the one you have). It's was a mediocre Heli at best. I did learn FF with it though. One thing I strongly suggest is not to buy any upgraded parts. A waste of money IMHO. Just replace the parts that break during a crash & by no means should you upgrade them to aluminum. Keep them plastic. Save your money up & get a Trex 450 or something comparable.

Regards,
Old 11-02-2008, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

I started with an axe cp the first version. Lets just say I spent more money on parts then it cost to buy a T rex and I think I got one flight of FFF the rest was hovering and crashing. Gave it away for free. I upgraded the head and batt still no luck.
krashcorey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have ended up with two versions. I found one a few weeks ago in a swap meet that was the CP version and it had been upgraded, but I am not experienced enough yet to fly it myself, one of the hobby gurus flew it decently, but he is the owner operator of the shop. My v3 I can hover somewhat. I have spent about the cost of it in parts already, and now have decided to shelf it and save up for a better machine. I could also use some ideas as to Radios. Futaba or SpectrumDR. Should be after the first of the year when purchasing these items. I am thinking about the T-rex 450 but after reading more here I am thinking about going larger for the stability factor
Old 11-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I started out with a Axe-CP and I learned 3 things from it:

1. How to hover - tail-in only.
2. How to fix the helicopter. (I learned this lesson the most)
3. Why my next purchase should be a Simulator.

I will give the Axe CP some credit as it was the heli that got me into this great hobby of ours and I was hooked after the very first spool-up.
schwarztrader is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go to http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610525. This is an Axe CP thread. I used it all the time when I was still flying my Axe. The Axe is hard to fly and I probably spent over $600 dollars upgrading it and more on broken parts.. Brushless motors and esc's, GY240 gyro, upgraded servos, lipos and and a DX7 and it still flew like a $200 dollar RTF heli. But I did learn to hover tail in with it. Still have it but its busted up and I don't fly it anymore since I went with the T-Rex 450 and 600nitro pro. But I learned a lot from it and it was much easier going to a T-Rex after the Axe. My advice is leave it stock, buy a sim if you don't have one and save for a T-Rex or similar 450 size heli. Yes bigger helis are more stable but cost more initially and parts are more expensive. And big electrics need BIG lipos that aren't cheap. Nitros are nice but fuel can be expensive, you need more support equipment and they're messy. Bottom line, if you go with a T-Rex 450 and you need a radio expect to spend around $1200 dollars and a 50 size nitro expect $1500 to $2000 easily. Electric 50 size will depend on what kind of batteries and how many you buy but similar to nitro. And don't forget you will need a charger for those BIG batteries. Another $200 to $300 dollars there. So, I have to say the Axe did what it was designed to do- be a inexpensive RTF starter heli that I should have left stock and put my money into a better heli. If I had it to do over with what I know now and I had the money I would skip the Axe and go straight for the T-Rex or similar brand 450.
Blade CX/2, Axe CP, T-Rex 450 SA(SE V2 now) , T-Rex 600nitro Pro, Blade mCX, T-Rex 500 GF, T-Rex 450 SE night rig with ZeroGear and FlexPro lighting, Walkera 4G3, scale 450 Hughes 500D, Hirobo SDX HPM, Blade mSR, DX7

Last edited by ace22459; 11-03-2008 at 05:37 PM..
ace22459 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

IMO, it's one you may want to put away like you said. I too started into CP heli's with the Axe CP.

I'm being super nice here, I didn't care much for it.

DO NOT WASTE MONEY WITH UPGRADES, it won't fly worth a crap pretty much no matter what you do, after you have some skills it might be entertaining.
Lota Fun R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea, I wish I had known what I know now before I spent all that money on it. No matter what you do to it, it will always be an Axe CP, not a T-Rex. It will never fly any better.
Blade CX/2, Axe CP, T-Rex 450 SA(SE V2 now) , T-Rex 600nitro Pro, Blade mCX, T-Rex 500 GF, T-Rex 450 SE night rig with ZeroGear and FlexPro lighting, Walkera 4G3, scale 450 Hughes 500D, Hirobo SDX HPM, Blade mSR, DX7
ace22459 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I dont have a clue as to what I have spent so far, but I do know that I am not spending much more on it minus blades, until I get a better heli. I have not and dont plan on purchasing any upgrades. I did get a sim but it is an older version of Real Flight. So the next things on the to do list is get a newer version of Real Flight, 3.5 probably, a radio, heli and then the upgrades unless I get the one with the upgrades. I know the shop here carries mostly T-rex parts so that is probably going to be what it is. I have looked at the EXI's but really they are the same price once everything is totalled up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in