Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2015, 07:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Can you really tame this heli

I have doing some research for beginner cp ... Go big is one way.. If I had a backyard to do so... But not the cast... Go inside with a small cp... Not gonna happen to much to hit... So it comes down to mcpx heli... But it been said to quirky for a beginner... I have been able to tame 700 in the sim so my thought can this mcpx be tamed as well?

Last edited by mgfiest; 05-12-2015 at 03:00 PM..
mgfiest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfiest View Post
I have doing some research for beginner cp ... Go big is one way.. If I had a backyard to do so... But not the cast... Go inside with a small cp... Not gonna happen to much to hit... So it comes down to mcpx heli... But it been said to quirky for a beginner... I have been able to tame 700 in the sim so my thought can this mcpx be tamed as well?
In my experience, the mCPX is one of the BEST beginner CP's out there. It can be tammed with a computer radio with D/R and expo and it is also one of the most crash resistant helis you can get. With most crashes you just pick it up, pop a link back on, maybe have to push up the main gear and go flying again and again.

It is an awesome heli for beginners or experts, as it is also very 3d capable. The mCPX is one of the best choices if you are just learning to fly CP helis.
kla912000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If it's a good ol v2 you won't need to tame it, just get used to it. The BL should be tamed down for a beginner. The nano is mild and easy to handle but is underpowered so you will out grow it faster. I would say they are the best beginner cp helis and can also be used as a substitute for a sim when learning basic 3d. Their small size makesv them seem like they're moving faster than they really are and make it easier to lose orientation, but it doesn't matter since crashing is a non-issue. Great lil helis that can't be beat for learning or stress free flying, the option of trying things you have no business trying makes them a riot.
learnedthehardway is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another good thing is that alot of parts can just be glued back together if they break, lg, body posts ect. I have even glued the main rotors of my nanowith no problems. Put the ca on and smear it smooth, pretty much melts the blade back together.
learnedthehardway is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for your opinions.... Time to source one out... Rt
mgfiest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnedthehardway View Post
Another good thing is that alot of parts can just be glued back together if they break, lg, body posts ect. I have even glued the main rotors of my nanowith no problems. Put the ca on and smear it smooth, pretty much melts the blade back together.
+1 on glueing the mCPX. I've glued a number of things, such as the landing gear, blade grips, canopy and canopy pins. As I said before it is an awesome beginner CP heli. Fly it, do something stupid, crash it, pick it up, put it back together and fly it again. Great little heli!!!
Old 05-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The mCPX has been the workhorse of CP trainers ever since it was introduced...

Easy to set up and repair, it's by far the desired platform for beginners...and the parameters can be tamed very easily with any digital Spektrum TX
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 05:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

HH has the BL on sale for $179.99 right now but ebay has alot of package deals to choose from. I wouldn't be afraid to buy one used from the right person either. Used helis can be dicey from the wrong person. I went from a 120sr to the v2 with no sim, was definitely a transition but not too bad even with a 5i tm. Anything 6i up will allow you to tame the BL down nicely.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfiest View Post
Thanks for your opinions.... Time to source one out... Rt
I believe the MCPX is obsolete so don't invest in obsolete stuff.
The only Blade alternative is the Blade Nano CPX if you want to be able to fly the thing inside the house. I have the Nano CPX set so it is really sedate because I just want to practice hovering , tail in left right and nose in etc. inside .
Old 05-12-2015, 06:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryR View Post
The only Blade alternative is the Blade Nano CPX if you want to be able to fly the thing inside the house. I have the Nano CPX set so it is really sedate because I just want to practice hovering , tail in left right and nose in etc. inside .
I have the nano and wish I got the BL. It's underpowered and does things sloppy because of it. The nano is great aside from burning main motors but the BL will keep up with your skill alot longer. More capable, handles more wind= more use. Once you tame and get the hang of it you can fly it inside just fine. Might not have room to fly circuits but u can still fly.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryR View Post
I agree with learnedthehard way 100℅. I have 2 Nanos and while I really like them, I always find myself going back to the mCPX. The Nano is deffinately underpowered and gets boring. Yes, you can fly it inside pretty easily but it is not very good outside, where, and let's all admit it, outside is where we all want to fly anyway. On the other hand, the mCPX is great outside, even with a little wind and can be tamed enough to fly inside.

Not knocking the Nano, but the mCPX is a better choice.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

The MCP X is wonderful!

It does aerobatics very nicely and usually just bounces if you crash (learning to hit throttle hold in a timely manner helps a great deal here)!

The MCP X in this video is completely stock, except for the longer tail boom (sold by Horizo) and KBDD Main Blades, Tail Blades, and Landing Gear.

The machine flies much better, IMHO, with the KBDD Main and Tail Blades, and is much, much easier for an old man like me, with no reflexes to both see and fly!

MCP X KBDD2_0001.wmv (6 min 40 sec)
Old 05-21-2015, 04:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Find yourself a V2 and use quality batteries.
I've been flying these, but they appear to be out of stock right now:
http://www.buddyrc.com/glacier-20c-250mah-1s.html

Keep it light, keep it stock. The colored main and tail blades make it easier to see. If you start adding bling (weight), you'll soon want more power which adds more weight...etc.
Tim Wolff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2015, 12:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
Find yourself a V2 and use quality batteries.
I've been flying these, but they appear to be out of stock right now:
http://www.buddyrc.com/glacier-20c-250mah-1s.html

Keep it light, keep it stock. The colored main and tail blades make it easier to see. If you start adding bling (weight), you'll soon want more power which adds more weight...etc.
+1.
2 months into mcpx v2, and average 10x crash a day, it still flies great. I even bought a new main board at amazon for $22 and replaced it even though nothing wrong with the old board...haha....highly recommended.
2005h4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2015, 10:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
The MCP X is wonderful!

It does aerobatics very nicely and usually just bounces if you crash (learning to hit throttle hold in a timely manner helps a great deal here)!

The MCP X in this video is completely stock, except for the longer tail boom (sold by Horizo) and KBDD Main Blades, Tail Blades, and Landing Gear.

The machine flies much better, IMHO, with the KBDD Main and Tail Blades, and is much, much easier for an old man like me, with no reflexes to both see and fly!

MCP X KBDD2_0001.wmv - YouTube
Hi Ah Clem,

nice flying... where do u fly?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly at the Rose Bowl lawn or at Whittier Narrows, sir.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow - this turned out a lot longer than I would have thought!

I've had an MCPX since it was originally released a couple of years ago. Fell out of the hobby and it sat on the shelf until this spring when I got back into it. I was determined to fly it upside down by then end of summer.

I get bored of the sim (and who says you can't get injured on the sim, you can if you are sitting on a glass coffee table and it shatters - yeah, that was me). I watched a few videos on youtube, and then I would take the heli outside and try them out.

After quite a few bangs and scrapes, I can how flip it over and back again until the battery is done, hover and fly it around upside down.

Couple of tips I picked up, just my opinion, but helped me go from flipping the MCPX -> MCPX BL -> 130X and soon the 450X.

- Fly over grass, crash onto concrete or gravel is a surefire way to break things. Lots of room with decent grass is very handy. If it starts to get away, hit the TH and let it drop. Mine has dropped from an easy 30ft with TH onto the grass with no damage. 5 feet onto the concrete and things break. Don't fly inside at first unless you have a TON of space (like a gym)
- Throttle hold, throttle hold, throttle hold.
- Check the main gear, and anti rotation pin after every crash.
- Don't bother replacing parts when you break them, if you are crashing alot. Broken canopy pins - melt a small hole with a pin in each side, cut it and CA it in there. Missing the pins - use a plastic coated paperclip in the back of the body or wrapped around the 3-in-1 mounts. Velcro on the bottom of the battery tray and the canopy helps.
- swash plate breaking or losing links - buy a couple cheap V922/FBL100 Swashplates from Bangood or hobbyking. The links stay on much better, and they are cheaper.
- Solid carbon extended tail - makes a huge difference. Watch the wires though, short in the enamel can cook the 3-in-1.
- Batteries batteries batteries. I have 14 300mah batteries for it and it keeps me going for quite some time.
- Watch the dual rates and Expo. My brother in law has his heli very docile with huge DR and expo. Helps hover, but man is it hard to control when it gets away. It feels like it is fighting through mud.
- Finally, while you are learning, worry about protection and fly-ability first, make sure the blades are balanced (I have trimmed off chips, and then the other blade to balance), your swash is level, bearings are good etc. Mine flew great even with JB plastic weld everywhere!

Hope at least some of that helps you out! Ignore the typos and spelling - writing this at work in between other things!

Cheers
Tony
StaphWildman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2015, 11:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
I fly at the Rose Bowl lawn or at Whittier Narrows, sir.
a lot of people flying in that area? do u have to pay to get in?

only place that i know El Dorado park where u have to pay $5 on weekdays and $7 to 8 on weekends...
Old 05-26-2015, 11:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Rose Bowl lawn is free, but there are sometimes events or soccer games which occupy the lawn.

Whitter is free during the week, but they charge $6.00 on the weekends. You do have to have AMA to fly at Whittier.

Whittier is a better field, overall, and a safer location to fly at.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

what is AMA?

I got into this hobby about 6 months ago, and been flying mcpx for nearly 2-1/2 months. I just luv mcpx… pain to learn but countless crashes (no kidding nearly 100x) and still flies great. So far, only changed main blades, solid tail boom, main shaft, and landing skid.

I would like to see people flying helicopters. I went to El Dorado park once, and mostly airplanes, gliders, and dirt cars…. no helicopters.

When is the good day/time to go and watch people flying heli’s?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in