Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2006, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Pros and Cons of charging at 2 Amps vs 1 Amp

I am using the PT prolite 2100 18-22c packs on my Trex and have been re-charging at 1C.
These packs are vented around the middle battery of the three for better heat dissipation.
What is the disadvantage of charging at 2.1C for instance?

I have a Hyperion LBA6 balancer which I use to charge through.

Shorter battery life vs much quicker charges?

Cheers
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2006, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Charlie from TP spent the day at our field a couple weekends ago. He stated that as long as a balancer were used and the batts were allowed to cool down after a flight, there was no gain in charging at 0.67C (1.3 amps) vs 1C (2 amps) on his 2100 packs.

The problems occur when the batteries are still hot or a balancer is not used.

My batts take about 30 minutes to cool down enough after a flight for a charge. I plug my balancer in first a few minutes before the charger and leave it connected throughout the charge.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

"C" equals 1x's the pack's capacity, so 1C for a 2100 mAh pack is 2100 mAh. LiPo manufacturers recommend charging at a rate of 1C or less. There is a least one new charger, I think from Thunder Power, that can charge at a 3C rate, but I haven't read up on it to know if it will only work with newer packs that are made using a different formula.

I charge my packs at a 1C rate at the field when I want to fly right away. At home, when I'm not waiting to fly fly, I baby them by charging them at a 1/2C rate. I've not dealt with LiPo's long enough to know if that really helps, but it only makes sense to take it easy on them.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 1010 charger from TP uses a data cable from the data port of either his TP205 or TP210 balancer to the charger, and the charger uses this data to permit the much faster charge rate.

I'm guessing that based on what Charlie said that the only reason ever to charge at less than 1C is if you don't have a balancer or you have earlier packs that don't have the balancer port.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Sorry guys my bad!!!
I just noticed in the subject I had amps and in the description 'C'.
My charger actually lists in Amps and I have a bench 12v supply which gives me the current draw.
I should have said 1 Amp vs 2.1 Amps.

So I should be OK if I let it cool down, I always do, and then use 2.1 Amps and let it cool
afterwards.

Cheers
Tony
Old 06-23-2006, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

How warm are they getting after charging? My TP 2100's are not even lukewarm after a charge.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Not warm at all.
I have just been through the charger menu again it's a Platinum EX smart charger.
In the set-up it works in C in the charge display it displays in Amps.
I have changed the C setting to 2.1C (I know this looks wrong) and then reset the charger.
It is now max charging at exactly 2.11 Amps and the pack is cold to touch after a charge.

Thanks for the advice.

Picture of charger set-up in my gallery https://www.helifreak.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=8512

Cheers
Tony
Old 06-23-2006, 11:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lipo's are not supposed to get warm during charging, Charging at 1C mine stay absolutely cool.

Cheers

Madison
piper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in