Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FPV goggle opinions

Hey all, I'm looking to get a set of FPV googles that I'll be using to fly a FPV quad rotor I'm building. Any opinions on what you've used and what you think are the best set? I see the EVG920s come up a lot in searches. Are they any good? Getting opinions since this will be my first pair.
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the Headplay and I'm a bit disappointed. The connector from the head unit to the liberator is done poorly and if I move it the video drops out to a blue screen. Not good when you are flying a heli far enough away that you can't look at it and get the orientation. I've read on the web that others have the same problem. Headplay isn't doing anything about it. I sent an email but it was unanswered. I bought it off eBay so I'm stuck with it.
KernelSanders is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

What is the FOV on your Headplays? I've heard others talk about this as a real determining factor, which would make sense as a larger/wider Field Of View allows you to see more at any given time and "fill the viewing area" more. As far as goggles go, so far I've heard of FatShark, Focus, Headplay and the ones I mentioned previously (don't know the specific manufacturer but here's a pic)

Based on what you've described with your Headplays, that sounds like something that could be easily fixed. Could you please provide a pic of the problem area?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpeg
Views:	262
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	184387  
Old 10-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't remember FOV, I'm thinking something like 35 degrees?
Easy fix? Maybe. Going to need to remove the connector from the board and solder the cable to the board. I wouldn't say easy, but that depends on your solder skills. I'll have to do it at work under a microscope. The cable has a bunch of wires and the pads are close together.
KernelSanders is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you don't wear glasses, FatShark is pretty darn good. If you need glasses, they won't fit well at all. There are some complaints about the video signal degrading to black and white for some people but not others, and the maker has been trying all kinds of things to correct it. I went with the "BASE edition" which has no radio link equipment of its own, and uses a single integrated cable to tap into all the power, video and audio you have already wired in your base station.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think the EVG920's with the ski goggle mod is the best option. They have the same resolution as the FatSharks, but AFAIK don't have the color issues the FatSharks have. I you keep looking on eBay you can get the EVG920's pretty cheap (I got a new pair for less than $100).

PS: this mod is used by quite a few people, among them "trappy" who is quite famous for his crazy flights in the alps
HeliShredder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

A friend of mine out here in the Northwest has a new company specializing in FPV products. He hasn't got them on the website yet, but he is going to be releasing a set of video goggles built for FPV. They will have great optics, and are already built into a ski mask from the factory!

keep and eye on his stuff here
cercomtechnology.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in